When Did You Believe?

When did you know that your religion was true?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. When did you know that your religion was true?

Hidden

I can't honestly answer: When did you believe YOUR RELIGION WAS TRUE? I don't think I'll ever find a religion that hasn't got a few things I may not consider true ...if it were that absolute then church doctrines, beliefs and culture would never change.

And the only true way to God? The only possible truth? Excluding all other religions -are they then 'untrue'. And that if you are not a member of a religion you haven't found the truth?

This would be a very interesting question to ask in a multidenominational church...like Uniting.

And the only true way to God? The only possible truth? Excluding all other religions -are they then 'untrue'. And that if you are not a member of a religion you haven't found the truth?

This would be a very interesting question to ask in a multidenominational church...like Uniting.

I'm wondering what you think of the broader truth claim that Jesus made, when he said: I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, but by me. John 14:6.

Is what He said true? If so, is it fair to say that only those faiths that include Jesus can possibly be true?

I'm wondering what you think of the broader truth claim that Jesus made, when he said: I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, but by me. John 14:6.

Is what He said true? If so, is it fair to say that only those faiths that include Jesus can possibly be true?

I don't think you have to be Christian to know Christ and be Christlike - also think Jesus and Heavenly Father are big enough to not care what you call them as long as you follow the basic commandments to love God, yourself and each other you don't need be Christian to do that in fact some of the most Christlike people who have Christ very clearly written in their countenance are not Christian. I think back to the Pagan lady who Christ called a dog, she did not know Christ intellectually she hadn't spent her life living the law of Moses which should have prepared her to meet Him, but she recognized Him, many of those that had spent their lives being taught about Christ rejected him and did not recognize Him.

CS Lewis illustrated this in the Last Battle - when the young Calormen who had loved Tash all his life (Tash = Satan) all his life, with faith and done mostly good recognized and was accepted by Aslan when he met Him, whereas the men that had played lip service to Aslan were carried off by Tash. Its why I don't mind who says I am not Christian because ultimately its not their judgment to make anymore than its mine to say I don't think someone is very Christian. That judgment is for the Lord alone to make - even now you tell by the strength of the spirit who is close to Christ - I would say all of my circle of friends are likely to know Christ when they see him and my friends include a couple of Orthodox Jews, a Druid, a Hindu Family, a Gay Anglican, a couple of Muslim women etc For me they worship the same God I do with the majority of their words and deeds

-Charley

Hidden

PC, I believe you have had to think more about the question than I have, being part of a group that reaches out to those of faiths other than Christian.

Yep I agree the only way to salvation is through Jesus Christ. But there are various faiths that do not accept Jesus and follow the same God.

Their faith in the same God is true and I respect that. But the broader truth stands.

The Jewish faith...before Jesus arrived... I would expect that the covenant held and those people that were faithful to it have to be part of God's plan.

In dealing with that question, LOL, that does help me to have some understanding about why you would have one true religion out of all the Christian faiths ...one that has more truth than others..but for me, that doesn't therefore make other Christians 'false'.

I think that one's in God's hands not mine.

I had the "crisis" conversion:-) I was in high school, strung out on Mt. Dew and snickers, (ok it was actually dope and doritos but the previous was a cleaner rendition) my faith had crashed and i was EMPTY in side. I just crashed hard. I was failing at feeling that i belonged and I crashed. I found a place to kneel in the forest...worked for Joseph Smith, and I let it rip. God blessed me with the most sacred event that i could ever have hoped for. I got my conversion. I got that undeniable, "Oh Holy Cow" moment that lots of people beg for. However, I now can NEVER deny that I received it. I can't even hint that I might have been wrong. I KNOW that it was of the Spirit and even though I fell away later on because of my stupid danged pride and had to pull the boot straps back up...dang it all... I still had my testimony to build my world back up with. Conversion by fire is a real thing folks...God is good...

I chose between 22-35. I can't say that is totally correct because my testimony is just beginning, but it will continue to over in the years to come.

I was baptized when I was 8 because my grandparents wanted me to be and because my mom would have felt wierd if I wasn't. That's pretty much a direct quote. When I was baptized, I don't think I really new who Jesus was. In fact, I was crying because I was terrified. I actually wonder if my baptism actually counts because I didn't understand it. My confirmation was directly after my baptism. The only thing I remember about it was that I was frantic because my mom forgot to pack me dry underwear. Afterwards my whole family went out for dinner to celebrate.

All through my school years I went to church on and off. Once I was a teen I mainly went to activities and the church camps in the summer. When I did go to church, it seemed every time I went more than three times they would give me a job like VP or Secretary in sunday school so I'd have to keep attending. It never worked. I always quit going. There were a few people in my ward that were really pushy. Why on earth they worked with kids I didn't understand. They took a lot of fun out of the programs.

In 9th grade I took seminary....I was rather bitter about it. I only took it because my mom made me. I guarantee my 9th grade seminary teacher remembers me. He probably still prays for me. In high school I attended seminary on and off. My big turn off from it was when I was asked to pray and I said no. The teacher had a fit. I didn't go back.

My junior year in high school, I never attended church, but I started to develop a testimony. I don't really know how it came to be, but I remember a friend of mine who was quite churchy struggling with some issues and I threw the BofM at her and said this is what she needs. I think I scared/surprised her. It wasn't something she expected from me. It was at that point that I learned that I have a testimony when someone else needs it, but I've never developed it for myself.

A year after high school my boyfriend ( that's the best thing I could call him, but it isn't quite right) left on a mission. We had never talked about religion. I think he knew it was something I needed to figure out for myself and it was something I desperately wanted him to guide/help me with. It meant standing up to my parents and I didn't dare. The crap I got from my brother being married in the temple was more than I could handle. Anyhow, while he was on his mission I went crazy....did everything you shouldn't. Right before he got back, I decided I should straighten up and tried going to church. When he got back, he was a complete different person. He was full of himself and such a jerk. I remember thinking that if this is what the church is I don't want anything to do with it. And any testimony I had was destroyed. Shortly after I moved out of state.

Within a year, I met my husband and we were married two years later. I was hesitant on marrying him because he wasn't a member of the church. We came to the agreement that if I ever decided I wanted to go to church I could. We also decided that if the kids were raised in a church it would be mormon...unless I decided something else. He was raised with no religion so he was flexible.

When my first baby was born, it was a moving experience for me. Not because of what I expereinced, but what my mom experienced. She was convinced that my grandfather (who bapitised me)was at his birth....I think I was too busy to notice. :D Shortly after my son was born, we had the missionaries over for the first discussion. I was terrified. My husband wasn't interested and we didn't have them back. I didn't want to push the issue.

Once we moved again, the church didn't really come looking for me nor I it. A few additional things happened to push me back to the church. The first being my brother committing suicide (that rocked my world). The second being, I felt a constant abscense of something/I used to be very intuitive and it had gone away. And third being rather silly. I watched God's Army. I had rented it through netflix. I know it's fiction, but I cried the entire time. Well, sobbed it more appropriate. I was so scared at the emotions that came over me that I sent to movie back in the mail before and never told my husband we got it. I knew he would think the movie was dumb.

After seeing God's Army I order new scriptures and read them. I actually got on my knees to pray....I think this was the first time I had ever prayer on my knees. I don't know how far I was into the BofM-maybe 2nd Nephi, but it hit my like a ton of bricks. In fact, it hit me so hard that is scared me. I pulled back because of my fear that I was learning the truth and that I might have to deal with the fact that my husband might never be interested. Plus the stress of it all was making me have contractions...I was pregnant with our third.

Now, two years later, we have relocated to Utah. In a couple of months we will be moving to a very small town in eastern Utah. As a couple we have decided that the only way we will meet people is if we attend church. My husband asked me to get him a BofM ( almost feel off my chair at his request)..mostly I think because he wants to learn a little bit about mormonism so he understands what people are talking about and not to be baptised. It seems like things are falling in place slowly. I'm starting to read the scriptures again and this website is very helpful in taming my fears about attending church again. So my testimony is just beginning....again. There is something in my heart that tells me the church is true. I hope this time I have the strength to stand up to my fears, which include my parents who are disgruntled about the mormon church...although I've never understood why. As well as a slew of other fears.

In my life, I know that I have wanted someone (most likely a man...probably father issues!) to take my hand, show me the way and make it easy. In the last two years, I have learned that it is up to me to make the choice and do the work. Although, I very much pray that someday my husband and I will both have testimonies that we can share with one another and be able to lean on each other for support when we need it.

Holy Cow!!! Not only did you get my small testimony...you got my personal mormon experience. This is almost embarrassing to post, but I figure I must need to do it or it wouldn't have been written.

my grandparents were converted to the church. I've always loved being in the church, and through my life experinces, I can now see that it is a safe place for us to be.

We went to church every Sunday, but it wasnt until I had a desire to serve a mission that i truly found out for 'my self' that the church is true.

i cannot deny what i know to be true....

Conversion has definately an "over time" experience for me. I chose the 15-21 category because that is the time my knowledge increased about the Gospel (through seminary) and I could no longer sit and be passive about my testimony. There is a great scripture in D&C 82:3 that helped me understand that with the knowledge that I had gained, I had a greater responsibility to apply that knowledge to my choices in life. Thus, as I lived the Gospel more fully, My testimony of Christ and of His infinite and Eternal Atonement grew. So line upon line and pecept upon precept I am still being "converted". I love Eternal Progression!

Mags

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That banned bad-boy Jason has a good point: conversion is a continuing process, but I do not think one has to convert from one faith to another for that process to work. My conversion is on-going and quite critical. I do not take anything for granted.

• 5 weeks later...

I find this a fascinating and introspective subject. Looking back, I can't remember a time that I didn't believe, but I didn't receive my witness until about the time I had entered college. Otherwise, I think I've always known.

I wonder if it was like this with Peter. Even though he denied Christ three times, he still followed him. But there was that inevitable turning point that he knew; he received his witness ("Blessed art thou Simon Barjona..."). I believe that was the point that he was able to fully preach the Lord's gospel (When thou art converted strengthen thy brethren).

I believe we can all strengthen each other when we are converted to Christ regardless of religious affiliation.

Guest GhostRider

With me it was a litle different. I was raised in a diferent faith. Walked the Aisle so to speak when i was 8.when i turned 16 I rebelled. Long story short got back into church at 34. was ordained as a preacher not long later. Then while serving as an assistant pastor or church (very very small 15 ppl) broke up. no church would take me on due to my divorce. Have been in contact with the missonaires through various parts of my life. then at 36 was baptised into the LDS. So for me it is which one do i press? just something for me to ponder now.

I chose 22 - 35 because you asked when did you know your religion was true and I'm not sure if I should have chosen when I knew Christianity was true (which would have put me in the younger bracket) or when I knew the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was true which was later because I didn't even know about it when I first realised that God was there and listened to prayers. I spent a long time looking for the right church and a long time in different ones where I was semi-settled.

The beginning wasn't so much a knowing that it was true regarding God but a testing to see if it was. I thought I'd have a go at talking to him in case he was there and it just slowly grew from that so as others have said I too agree that a testimony is a developing thing. Sometimes it is stronger and sometimes it is weaker. The more I read and prayed the closer I felt to knowing Jesus. The more I studied the scriptures and particularly the atonement the more humble I have felt and the more grateful for what he did for us, for me.

• 2 weeks later...