Automation and the Second Coming?

Innovation always spurs the creation of new jobs and technologies (look at the advent of the automobile or industrialization or computers). So I don’t think there will be a lack of jobs. 

What I find troubling is this “guaranteed income” movement. That regardless of whether you are employed the govt will provide so much money to you each month. It brought to mind Revelations 13:17 and the mark of the beast. 

“The more government can do for you the more in can do to you.” Thomas Jefferson

2 minutes ago, Vort said:

Thanks, Melvil(le) Dewey!

I don't get the Melvil(le) part - was Melville an advocate?  (Or are we implying a white whale? Or...?)  Anywho, John Dewey (et al) brought it here, but I prefer to blame the Prussian source for coming up with the idea (or at least the first implementation) - hooray for state-sponsored brainwashing.

1 minute ago, zil said:

I don't get the Melvil(le) part - was Melville an advocate?  (Or are we implying a white whale? Or...?)  Anywho, John Dewey (et al) brought it here, but I prefer to blame the Prussian source for coming up with the idea (or at least the first implementation) - hooray for state-sponsored brainwashing.

Sorry, my bad. Melvil (who changed his name from Melville) and John were contemporaries and were both educators. Melvil was the Dewey Decimal guy, and quite the rake. John was apparently much more respectable, and much more damaging in his "progressive" philosophies.

For over 30 years I have made my living as an engineer specializing in automation, robotics and artificial intelligence.  I recall early in my career that a couple of JW’s showed up at my door with a warning that computers would “learn” how to talk to each other and take over the world.  That was over 35 years ago – I should have saved their little pamphlet as a demonstration how uneducated minds screw up things they do not understand yet cause panic in other minds similar to theirs. 

One of the differences between humans and brut beasts are our sophisticated use of tools.  The use of tools is also considered evidence of intelligence.  Can I explain this any better – using tools is an expected result of intelligence.  Automation and robotics is nothing more than more tools for those intelligent enough to use them.

Want to know were automation and robotics is currently headed and what jobs are next to be affected next???  The medical field!!!  Most of you will see robots performing surgery and reading x-rays and sonograms in your lifetime – perhaps mine even though I am an old useless guy according to Social Security and Medicare.  Why?  Because robots can perform surgery at the cellular level – no human hand can do that.  Robots can read x-rays 10,000 times better detail than any human eye.  Dentistry will also change – and many procedures will not require deading – even for the super sensitive.   Robots can control the temperature of a tooth hundreds of times better than any human and it is the heating of the tooth that causes the most pain when drilling.  Not only will medical and dental procedures be more accurate and lest painful – but recovery will be faster and the whole process will be less stressful.

For all those that are scared of automation – Why?  If automation brings the second coming it will be because it will be part of the good that endures not the evil that will be destroyed.

The Traveler

13 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

His entire job was eventually replaced by (in his words) "a dumb blonde with an F7 button".

Except for nearly a century of Linotype being the standard, that your dad's employer apparently didn't notice.  His job was being done by machines before Idaho was a state.

I'm vague on the details, but if Linotype was the standard, they were still using typesetters to run them.  Or he just called himself a typesetter as I was growing up.  He worked for the Desnews/Tribune in the '70's (the paper came off the same presses).   Point is, the entire career line disappeared off the face of the planet forever.

Edited by NeuroTypical

On 2/15/2018 at 9:35 AM, DoctorLemon said:

So, what do you think of that report that 47% of U.S. jobs will be automated by 2034?  Overblown hype, or the end of capitalism and civilization as we know it?  

Obviously, if half of America's jobs are taken over by machines, and we have an unemployment rate of 50% or more, capitalism will fall apart.  Some say new jobs will be created, but will these new jobs be abundant and accessible enough to help those who lost their jobs to automation?  

Is the only workable solution to this dilemma the Second Coming?

Its a false premise to believe automation destroys jobs. Technology and automation makes it possible to work less for more which pushes the labor market towards hobby and entertainment. Going more to the extreme side it frees up mans time from perforning tasks necessary for survival to enabling man to spend more time doing family and gospel tasks that build the kingdom of God. thus, it allows man as a whole to perform more tasks in a day than was previously possible. We see this in farming big time as American technology and automation has increased our need to work in the field per man hour for acre has greatly diminshed which frees up time to perform other tasks. So, not only do we have an increase in food, we have an increase in all other fields which allows us to have more for less. Joblessness in a high technology community is actually a byproduct of success that leads many to just sponge off of others. Jobs can always be created, even moreso the more technology and automation that exists because it increases the field of tasks available. For instance, in old times when farmers spent all their days in the field there wasnt much of a hobby and entertainment market. As automation technology increased it freed up peoples time and created more jobs because people want hobbies and entertainment to spend their extra money and time. So, then it creates more jobs that expand ever outward to meet the demands that extra time and money create. Houses have gotten bigger, cars are more fancy, people have more leisure toys and entertainment products. Those who are jobless in large part are in those spots because they either dont need to work cause they either sponge off of the system or are too lazy to work or both. Theres really no such thing as a system that creates truly jobless people. It is true however that a system can make people jobless and lazy and provide for them because they dont want to work. Sadly, thats what we have.