Hallway Mormons

ldsguy422

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

You should not joke around about such a serious topic. I'm very disappointed in you. All gamers are eternally condemned, and that is not a point you can debate. 

I think we can apply the doctrine of the three kingdoms here.

FPS/Stealth fanatics like me go to the Celestial Kingdom.

Nintendo fanboys go to the Terrestrial Kingdom.

Those World of Warcraft freaks go to the Telestial Kingdom.  FREAKS.

(for the record, my wife is a big MMORPG/strategy fan, and I am a big stealth gaming fanatic, so while we are both gamers, we don't actually play much together)

Edited by DoctorLemon

Just now, MormonGator said:

My DS is right near me! lol! I'm playing Advance Wars as we speak! lol 

I am just bitter because I never was smart enough to get far in Zelda: Ocarena of Time (or pretty much any Zelda since then).

Just now, Midwest LDS said:

Please Celestial glory only applies to RPG players and tactical gamers. The Telestial kingdom is only for people who play cell phone games?.

Ah yes, the casual gamer.  No, that would be outer darkness.  

Casual gaming has RUINED gaming.  Candy Crush, Angry Birds, Plants vs. Zombies - RUINED gaming.

No seriously, I got a fourth generation Ipod touch back in 2010 and I was so excited to play games on the app store.  At that time, I thought IOS would be the dream retro console, with conversions of Doom, Phantasy Star, and Final Fantasy already out, and Street Fighter and Final Fight coming.

And guess what happened?

By 2011, all anyone wanted to release were Plants vs. Zombies clones.  I have a machine in my pocket that has more power than a Playstation 2, and all anyone wants to do with such power is . . . Plants vs. Zombies?  Rarely have I felt such disappointment.

Agreed @DoctorLemon I'm not even sure you can consider candy crush a game. It's more like a virtual mugger (stuck on an impossible level? If you give us cash we'll let you move on lol)

I knew a guy who would sit through EQ playing Candy Crush.  I don't know which was the bigger sin . . . that he was blatantly paying no attention to class . . . or that he was playing Candy Crush.

1 minute ago, DoctorLemon said:

I knew a guy who would sit through EQ playing Candy Crush.  I don't know which was the bigger sin . . . that he was blatantly paying no attention to class . . . or that he was playing Candy Crush.

Yeah if your going to ignore class you should at least be playing something legit like Zelda. I'm pretty sure ignoring class for Candy Crush is a disciplinary council level of offense.

Yeah if your going to ignore class you should at least be playing something legit like Zelda. I'm pretty sure ignoring class for Candy Crush is a disciplinary council level of offense.

I think playing Candy Crush is its own punishment.

2 hours ago, ldsguy422 said:

I'm pretty sure every ward has a myriad of members that linger in the hall for the duration of Sunday School and Priesthood/Reliefy Society. It's not really my place to say anything, of course. So I don't. I'm not sure it's anybody's place, really. But it seems like such a waste to me. I mean, there are so FEW opportunities to be taught and instructed by the Spirit. I find it difficult to find personal time to just study the Gospel by myself. But I enjoy studying the Gospel, when I'm not involved with work, family, kids, dishes, etc. Why would you take a few casual conversations or aimlessly roam the internet over receiving eternal truths? I don't get it. Thoughts?

This is very common.  The bishopric does this a lot in many Wards in other ways, such as having meetings with members etc during the same hours.

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

I have also observed that whenever a smaller number of LDS members are in a room that is large – there is always a cadre that insists on sitting in the back – even if they are asked to move closer so all that wish to speak can be heard.

The Traveler

It's a corollary.:)

4 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

Agreed @DoctorLemon I'm not even sure you can consider candy crush a game. It's more like a virtual mugger (stuck on an impossible level? If you give us cash we'll let you move on lol)

Casual gamer here...I've played Candy Crush for years. Got to level 2000 something without spending a dime. I would play it while listening to conference archives. I also really appreciated the fact that it limited how many free lives you have, as it gave me the opportunity to relax without crossing the threshold into idleness. That being said, I haven't played in a couple of months because it started taking to long to load.

As to the Hallway people...I became one for a while when the GD teacher was using so many sources from lds.org that we would hardly read a scripture. I'd even hold mine in my lap to see if we'd be asked to open them. Lately I've been having some tailbone pain that's exacerbated by the chairs in our chapel (which gets used for GD) and I'll sit in the back so that it's not disruptive to the class if I just need to stand for a few minutes.

35 minutes ago, seashmore said:

Casual gamer here...I've played Candy Crush for years. Got to level 2000 something without spending a dime. I would play it while listening to conference archives. I also really appreciated the fact that it limited how many free lives you have, as it gave me the opportunity to relax without crossing the threshold into idleness. That being said, I haven't played in a couple of months because it started taking to long to load.

I am mostly joking about my comments about casual gamers.  Mostly . . .:D

5 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

Please Celestial glory only applies to RPG players and tactical gamers. The Telestial kingdom is only for people who play cell phone games?.

What about those who play RPG games and tactical games on their cell phones?  I imagine there is such a thing.

5 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

Ah yes, the casual gamer.  No, that would be outer darkness.  

Casual gaming has RUINED gaming.  Candy Crush, Angry Birds, Plants vs. Zombies - RUINED gaming.

My grandson LOVES Angry Birds and Minecraft.  He asked for some angry birds toys for the past two Christmases.  He also asked for Minecraft lego things.

I played Angry Birds once.  That same grandson couldn't get past a certain point and so he asked me to help him.  I did so terribly he quickly decided I did not know what I was doing (which was true) and took back the phone (which...just happened to be MY phone which his father had decided to load the game onto...) and kept on trying to beat the level himself.

I'm one of those people that have to sit in the back and at the end of a row.  I do it even during Sacrament meeting.  Having a disease that acts up on a dime, I need to have quick access to an exit.  So when asked to move up, people probably think I'm rude when I politely decline.

50 minutes ago, pam said:

I'm one of those people that have to sit in the back and at the end of a row.  I do it even during Sacrament meeting.  Having a disease that acts up on a dime, I need to have quick access to an exit.

Yeah, good taste is like that.  Especially on F&T Sunday.

14 hours ago, Fether said:

Oh but you do xD haha

I’ll give a similar response to the discussion on homosexuals coming to church. I’m sure there are plenty of people who look at me and say “why does he waste time on videogames, doesn’t God teach us not to be idle?”, and in return I say “Why do you get road rage? Isn’t that against what God teaches about charity?”

But I do agree and similar thoughts go through my head. But they are at different points in their conversion.

Those that haven’t tasted the light don’t ever really want it until they act in faith and reach for it.

Not sure I completely follow your second paragraph. Yes, we all fall short sometimes. We all do things that are contrary to God's will. But going to church and missing meetings, IMO, is more like going to grocery store and not getting the groceries; going to the bank and not making a deposit; going to the dentist, and not getting your teeth cleaned. You're already there, now just finish what you started... But as some have mentioned, at least they are coming. That is certainly a step in the right direction. And it's probably more beneficial to befriend someone than to worry about why they aren't perfect.

The point of my post wasn't to make myself feel better because some around me aren't doing all they're asked to do (ie: attend church meetings). I want to understand their rationale; I want to understand what's preventing them from coming to class. If I can help in anyway, I would like to do so. So after thinking about some this topic a little bit, it seems that the best thing I can do, the best thing we can do as a collective body, is simply to be genuinely interested in the well-being of these individuals. 

15 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Sure! 

-Get to know the people in the hall. Don't ask why they are in the hall, just get to know them. How long have they been members? Are they new to the area? What are their jobs? Do they have big families? Do they like sports? Music? Invite them to dinner or something maybe. 

-Make the classes interesting. Sorry people, but sometimes classes are boring. Make them interactive. Use pop culture references. Smile. Call on people to answer questions, even the quiet ones so they feel like they have contributed. 

-Focus on the positives. No one wants to hear fire and brimstone every week. If you make people feel loved and appreciated you'll be amazed what they can do, and therefore they'll add more to the classes. 

Well said! I think I'm going to print-out your response.

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, ldsguy422 said:

Well said! I think I'm going to print-out your response.

Thanks bud. Hope things work out for you and those in the hallway! 

Just to say it again @ldsguy422, I think it speaks very highly of you to notice people in the hallway and to care so much about them. Proud to call you a brother, for what little it's worth. 

Edited by MormonGator

12 hours ago, seashmore said:

As to the Hallway people...I became one for a while when the GD teacher was using so many sources from lds.org that we would hardly read a scripture. I'd even hold mine in my lap to see if we'd be asked to open them. Lately I've been having some tailbone pain that's exacerbated by the chairs in our chapel (which gets used for GD) and I'll sit in the back so that it's not disruptive to the class if I just need to stand for a few minutes.

Oh if you enjoy the game @seashmore more power to you. I was mostly joking (I got aggravated when I got stuck in a spot for weeks without being able to move forward☺). Usually if I sound overly harsh about something, I'm being silly but I admit I have a hard time communicating that over the internet at times.

12 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

What about those who play RPG games and tactical games on their cell phones?  I imagine there is such a thing.

My grandson LOVES Angry Birds and Minecraft.  He asked for some angry birds toys for the past two Christmases.  He also asked for Minecraft lego things.

I played Angry Birds once.  That same grandson couldn't get past a certain point and so he asked me to help him.  I did so terribly he quickly decided I did not know what I was doing (which was true) and took back the phone (which...just happened to be MY phone which his father had decided to load the game onto...) and kept on trying to beat the level himself.

Excellent point @JohnsonJones if you can find a decent RPG for a phone, you could get around my argument against mobile games...if☺.

Edited by Midwest LDS

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Midwest LDS said:

Excellent point @JohnsonJones if tou can find a decent RPG for a phone, you could get around my argument agaonst mobile games...if☺.

Have you played Knights of Pen and Paper 2? The first was a great game but an annoying bug makes the game unplayable. The sequel is decent.