How do you decipher between your anxiety and the Lord telling you No?

Juloe

How do you decipher between your anxiety and the Lord telling you No? I struggle with this.  Sometimes I feel like God is saying yes but other times I feel like I’m letting myself believe god is saying yes because it is one of my deepest desires and want but he’s really saying no.

10 minutes ago, Juloe said:

How do you decipher between your anxiety and the Lord telling you No? I struggle with this.  Sometimes I feel like God is saying yes but other times I feel like I’m letting myself believe god is saying yes because it is one of my deepest desires and want but he’s really saying no.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2018/02/young-adults/go-and-do-then-you-will-know?lang=eng

1 hour ago, Juloe said:

When you have a question, try pondering it for awhile - several days, maybe even a couple of weeks.

If you are seeking the spirit and are prayerful, you will start to feel a consensus on how you should proceed that will be consistent, and that is the spirit and you should go with it.  Meanwhile, if your initial "no" is anxiety conflicting with where the Lord wants you, that feeling will fade as you continue to ponder and prayerfully seek your answer.

Don't look for an immediate answer.  Give yourself several days or even several weeks, prayerfully ask for the Spirit, and be looking at how you consistently feel about whatever it is you are seeking an answer for.  This is how revelation works, at least for me.

Edited by DoctorLemon

2 hours ago, Juloe said:

If it has to do with a boy you like, you probably won’t get an answer unless it is marriage related and you are at an age where you can marry and you have been dating for a while. For the most part, God doesn’t care who we date as long as we maintain our standards

I would add to @DoctorLemon‘s excellent post, a reference to 2 Timothy 1:7.  

I’m inclined to think that confusion is a human emotion, not a godly one.  A “no”, in my experience, involves a feeling of resoluteness and clarity.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

That you are trying to determine whether or not something is our Father’s will is a good thing and shows that you want to stay within his will.  :)

As others said above, take time to consider the matter. I think it was Elder Bernar (maybe Uchtdorf) who once said something along the lines of, “God rarely gives the entire answer all at once because There are things we have to learn before we can understand the answer.”

When I have that issue I tend to 1) Search the scriptures for an answer; 2) Pray and ask for a blessing that God may grant me wisdom and; 3) seek the advise of a Christian who is more mature than me in whom I can confide in.   Between the three I usually find confirmation to the problem that is perplexing me. 

Prayers, and may God bless and keep you!

Edited by warnerfranklin
Grammar