How do you decipher between your anxiety and god telling you No?

How do you decipher between your anxiety and the Lord telling you No? I struggle with this.  Sometimes I feel like God is saying yes but other times I feel like I’m letting myself believe god is saying yes because it is one of my deepest desires and want but he’s really saying no.

sorry for the repost. I meant to post this in YSA :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2018 at 12:04 PM, Juloe said:

How do you decipher between your anxiety and the Lord telling you No? I struggle with this.  Sometimes I feel like God is saying yes but other times I feel like I’m letting myself believe god is saying yes because it is one of my deepest desires and want but he’s really saying no.

1) This depends on exactly what you mean by these words.  The Lord does not really respond to prayers like you're talking about with "anxiety."  He may prompt you with anxiety for other reasons and in other circumstances.  But the way he answers prayers like what you are describing is with a stupor of thought.  Consider #3 below.
2) Being able to discern between the promptings of the Spirit and your own personal feelings is something that takes a LOT of practice and experience.  Take a look at this post:

3) Part of listening to the Lord requires that you completely surrender your will in exchange for accepting HIS will.  If you're still considering what you want or the way you'd like it, then you will be less likely to receive promptings from the Lord.  You must only consider what you think is wise and what is best for the work of the Lord.  Apart from that get rid of all your personal desires on the matter and just be willing to accept the Lord's will.  DO NOT OVER-COMPENSATE.  Sometimes I give this advice and people will purposefully do something that they know is a bad decision just so they know it is not their will driving it.  NO.  That's also a bad way to go.  Sometimes, your will is exactly what the Lord wants you to do.  But it should be because the Lord approves, not in spite of it.

4) For many things in life, we tend to place undue importance on a single choice.  The truth is that if it isn't a question of good or evil (right/wrong) then most of our decisions are inconsequential in the eternal scheme.  So, sometimes he'll just leave it up to you because he knows that it really won't make as big a difference as you think it might.

Edited by Guest