Where is heavenly father when I need him? Antidepressants and the spirit.

Petty3

5 minutes ago, JoCa said:

Why do you say they aren't reputable?  The articles are written by Phds in the field.

This is ludicrous. You have PhDs in the field writing these articles. You "claim" it's not reputable, what evidence do you have to back up that claim . . .besides the fact you don't like them.

Also anyone can write an article and post it online. A peer-reviewed journal article is exactly that. Peer-Reviewed. It goes through a lengthy editing process by individuals in the field to determine if the article has used appropriate research methods and has reliable information. 

1 minute ago, JoCa said:

Very good!! We are in agreement, i.e. the proper response to anyone is "I don't know why you have xyz" and yes you are a guinea pig on the wheel of medicine.

I have a suggestion . . .maybe you should entire nueroscience . . .something that actually has, like you know science backing it up, instead of an absolutely morally corrupt philosophy.

ALL the founding father's of psycology were atheist.  The very foundation it is built upon is a lie.

I'm in neuropsychology, so thanks for the recommendation but I've already been in the field for awhile. 

You clearly have a vendetta against the area of psychology so maybe stay away from threads that are asking for help regarding mental health and psychological treatment? 

Edited by BeccaKirstyn

3 minutes ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

PhD does not equal "reputable". Anyone can get a PhD with enough money. Doesn't mean you are up to date on relevant training and are currently licensed (especially within clinical psychology). 

That's why I showed you an APA accredited, peer-reviewed journal article. This is the way that we find reputable evidence in the field of psychology. 

In otherwords, it's a clic. If you don't believe the common mantra (i.e. relevant training) you are branded a heretic and even though you mind have spent years of your life getting a degree, it doesn't matter b/c you didn't take the "approved training".

Why did homosexuality get removed from the DSM?  B/c they voted on it.

Just now, JoCa said:

In otherwords, it's a clic. If you don't believe the common mantra (i.e. relevant training) you are branded a heretic and even though you mind have spent years of your life getting a degree, it doesn't matter b/c you didn't take the "approved training".

Why did homosexuality get removed from the DSM?  B/c they voted on it.

I repeat my prior statement: You clearly have a vendetta against the area of psychology so maybe stay away from threads that are asking for help regarding mental health and psychological treatment? 

5 minutes ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

Also anyone can write an article and post it online. A peer-reviewed journal article is exactly that. Peer-Reviewed. It goes through a lengthy editing process by individuals in the field to determine if the article has used appropriate research methods and has reliable information. 

Oh you mean like the article about metaphysical gravity that was produced in a "peer-reviewed" pyscology journal article that got published that was complete BS?

Edited by JoCa

2 minutes ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

I repeat my prior statement: You clearly have a vendetta against the area of psychology so maybe stay away from threads that are asking for help regarding mental health and psychological treatment? 

Yes I do b/c they have done more harm than good.  

Is psychology not based upon morally corrupt atheistic individuals?

Prove me wrong.  Just b/c I have a vendetta doesn't make it wrong . .. unless you believe in moral relativism.

2 minutes ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

I think you just stated your opinion regarding the field of psychology. 

Now we get to the heart of the matter.  Psychology is all about opinion.  Not facts, not science but opinion.

I post an article from PsycologyToday-they reference the article you showed, but b/c your opinion of them was low, you dismissed what the article said.

Come to find out, the article actually has some legs, you recognize that it has some legs, but refuse to acknowledge it b/c you opinion of them is low.

It gets back to the old adage "people believe what they want to believe".  Psycology is not a science, it's an opinion generating field.

Edited by JoCa

3 minutes ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

*sigh*....like talking to a wall. 

I wish you luck @JoCa in your endeavors. 

And the same to you, it's like talking to a brick wall. 

I proved that what I posted was legit (actually you proved it for me), you can't refute it, so instead of changing your mind or analyzing it, you give up.  I wish you luck in your endeavors too.

And you won't answer the question.

Is or is not pyscology (the underlying base about how human being act) based upon atheistic principles?

Edited by JoCa

2 minutes ago, JoCa said:

And the same to you, it's like talking to a brick wall. 

I proved that what I posted was legit (actually you proved it for me), you can't refute it, so instead of changing your mind or analyzing it, you give up.  I wish you luck in your endeavors too.

:lol: (wish it was the laughing emoji--closest thing I can get). Literally not even close to what I was trying to prove to you. But you do you. 

7 minutes ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

:lol: (wish it was the laughing emoji--closest thing I can get). Literally not even close to what I was trying to prove to you. But you do you. 

Yeah but you did prove it to me.  I get it you were trying to prove what "real, reputable" articles look like.

I know what journal articles look like.

You are avoiding questions and will not admit that even if you don't like it, the article that I linked to was a reputable article that has "peer-reviewed" journal backing.

Is the article I linked to legit or not?

This is why I hate psycology . .. they can't admit their own mistakes. You are wrong about it not being reputable.

Edited by JoCa

thank you @Jane_Doe.  I had no idea that there were such strong feelings about psychology and medication.

I just know that for now I believe the medication is helping and I need to be on it but hopefully not forever.

My questioning and what I'm more concerned about is how to keep keeping on and trusting when I feel so void of the spirit.

20 minutes ago, Petty3 said:

My questioning and what I'm more concerned about is how to keep keeping on and trusting when I feel so void of the spirit.

You have been blessed with the gift of the Holy Spirit, and thus that will never disappear. Maybe the way you were perceiving its promptings and presence is not going to be the same now that you are on your current medication. This might require some experimenting with figuring out what different ways you will feel the spirit now. He is always there with you. You just might need to try to feel his presence in a different way. 

My story: I experience seasonal depression.  It's like riding a train through the Rockies.  There are periods of darkness where you don't know where you are or how much longer the only light will be that which comes from within followed by periods of natural, beautiful lighting.  That emotional freezing and thawing mentioned earlier happens for me just about from General Conference to General Conference.  (Sept-Mar are usually my most depressive months.)  Once I had insurance, the first therapist I saw sent me to a psychiatrist (or whichever one does the prescribing...I worked in health insurance for three years; you'd think I'd remember the difference between psychiatrist and psychologist) in late January/early February, and she gave me an Rx for six months.  It was the first maintenance med I had ever taken, so I followed doctors orders and took it through August.  Did some lasting damage to personal relationships.  Next one I tried was golden.  Knew what to ask and helped me realize when I needed to start weaning off and starting back on them.  As someone else mentioned, she was like a trail guide, and helped me understand a lot about myself physically, emotionally, and even spiritually (she was what I call generic Christian and encouraged me to incorporate my spirituality into my coping).

@Petty3 If you have Twitter, follow Dr. Norman Rosenthal.  I followed him because he wrote a book about SAD that helped me understand my plight and where to start my journey through it.  But he provides quite a bit of uplifting content that you may find relevant.

Music and the Liberty Jail sections of the Doctrine and Covenants (121 and 122) are ways that help me.  Sometimes the music is LDS (Restoration Hymns and ones borrowed from others are the majority of my go-tos), and sometimes it's not.  Give Pink Floyd's song "Comfortably Numb" a listen and see if you don't connect.  Parts of the last two verses of "I Believe in Christ" (#134 in the hymnal, #1 in my heart) provide a great deal of strength for me.  Even in my deadest hour, my spirit seems to sway with the lines, "He ransoms me.  From Satan's grasp, he sets me free."  And I can't help but imagine myself as more confident as I hear (whether by my own voice or the voice of others, or even just in my memory) "I believe in Christ, so come what may."

As to my personal theory  (that I probably read in an article online somewhere) as to why some prescriptions may make some people suicidal...to me, there are two camps of depression, both equally valid and terrible to experience.  The first camp is what most people are familiar with.  It's the emotional one.  Standard symptoms of crying all the time, not feeling anything, no joy in regular activities, etc.  This is often triggered by circumstances such as loss of a loved one, financial disaster, traumatic events/anniversaries, etc.  Sometimes, for some people the ol' "choose happiness" advice is all it takes.  Sometimes, for some people, it requires more of a team effort from medical professionals.  Sometimes, for some people, they recover from this depression in a matter of months, while others may take years.  The other camp is more of a physical depression.  In addition to low motivation, symptoms include heavy limbs, body aches, sluggishness, dysphoria, etc.  No amount of inspirational quotes is going to make it so you can look at showering as one task instead of an endless chore involving gathering towels.....undressing.....warming up the water.....showering.....getting out.....drying off.....dressing.....and finally combing your hair.  You will absolutely need at least a supplement for this. 
Prescriptions for depression don't start working right away.  It's almost as though they work line upon line to bring you back to your regular/desired life (which may or may not include antidepressants once you get there).  Sometimes, people don't attempt suicide because it's too much effort, whatever the method.  Sometimes, the prescription gives them the energy line before it gives them the "life is worth living" line.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 9:33 PM, seashmore said:

psychiatrist (or whichever one does the prescribing

It's the psychiatrist. You got that right. It might help to think that a B.S. or M.S. in psychology can make you a psychologist, but you need a medical degree to become a psychiatrist.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Petty, sorry to come late to the discussion...life has me pretty busy this days and I haven't been around the forum much.   

I'm also a survivor of childhood sexual abuse, and I had the same questions, where is God when I need Him most?  Why can't I feel the Spirit?   I found the answers I was looking for (apparently I was feeling the Spirit more than I realized because it was He who lead me to the answers.)   I wrote a book with these answers to help others who are searching.  I'd be happy to send you an ebook version of it for free.  Or if you prefer paperback or audio, it's available on amazon and Barnes and Noble.  The book is called Touching His Robe: Reaching Past the Shame and Anger of Abuse.  Just send me a private message with your email and I will send it to you if you like.  

Also, I belong to a really supportive Facebook group for LDS women who were abused as children.  If you are interested, send me a private message and I will give you a link to that as well.  

I know things feel very dark right now, and you feel alone and abandoned.  Remember that when the Savior was in Gethsemane, his friends fell asleep.  On the cross He cried out, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken me?"   And then there was the Atonement itself.  I promise you that the Savior understands your pain and He can heal you.  That healing takes time, but I promise, Christ has the power to deliver you from this space.  It won't happen overnight.  You do still have to do your part, listen to your medical people, take the meds for now, go to therapy, go to church, pray....keep working, but healing can happen.  

Guest LiterateParakeet
3 hours ago, SilentOne said:

It's the psychiatrist. You got that right. It might help to think that a B.S. or M.S. in psychology can make you a psychologist, but you need a medical degree to become a psychiatrist.

Close...but not quite correct.  A psychologist is someone who has a PhD.  One can do therapy with a Master's degree, but they are not called psychologists, just therapists.  

I agree that only a psychiatrist can prescribe medication.  

On 2/19/2018 at 5:01 PM, Petty3 said:

I realize there's no shame in taking medication.  I've had things switched around until we finally feel like I'm on the right one.  I just don't like how it makes me feel - or rather that I don't seem to feel anything.  

I know people say heavenly father doesn't desert his children but that's sure how it feels.  I hate not feeling like he cares for me or answers my prayers.  

Petty,

I am sorry to hear your plight.  I'll be praying for you.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people on this board who have suffered or are still suffering from depression.  We know what it's like.  What you're describing is more common for people who have had major trauma in their lives like you've described.  For me, I feel like it is a Tazmanian Devil clawing at my face and I'm squeezing my eyes just to keep it from clawing my eyes out.  I can't see. I feel like I'm being attacked by this thing I can't see and there's nothing I can do.  

Let me give you a new perspective on what is really going on.

Imagine you're standing outside on a bright sunny day.  It is beautiful.  Grass is that yellowish-green that really penetrates they eyes.  The gentle breeze cools you just enough to make the slightly warm day a perfect temperature.  The breeze rustles the leaves on the trees generating just the right background and ambiance to enjoy this perfect day.

Then the clouds come.  They cool that perfect temperature until it's a touch chilly.  And it seems the slight breeze just increased to a low wind that blows dust into your eyes.  It seems all is dark.

The trick is to realize where the light is still shining when you can't see it.

1) Your eyes are stung because of the dust that was blown in.  So, your perception is incomplete.
2) The clouds seem to be blotting out the sun.  But really, there are streaks of sunlight behind you -- where you're not looking.  And you can't perceive the peripheral light because you're struggling to even keep your eyes open.

But I promise you, the light is shining.  Counselors are supposed to be there to help you see that light even when you normally couldn't.  It is about retraining your mind to look for and see that light even when you don't think there is any.

There is light there.  I promise.

Thank you.  I appreciate the analogy.  You're right about how I'm seeing things and how the light is sometimes hard to see.  I'm wondering if it would be a bad thing to take a couple week break from d attending church.  I hate this struggle I'm going through and it's hard when you feel like heavenly father Is so far away or doesn't care.

8 hours ago, Petty3 said:

Thank you.  I appreciate the analogy.  You're right about how I'm seeing things and how the light is sometimes hard to see.  I'm wondering if it would be a bad thing to take a couple week break from d attending church.  I hate this struggle I'm going through and it's hard when you feel like heavenly father Is so far away or doesn't care.

I really would NOT take a break from church. Just go to sacrament. You need the help of the Holy Ghost in your struggles. 

Edited by Sunday21