happygolucky

Hey guys! 

So right now I’m in the process of trying to get married. My fiancé is divorced and was married in the temple over a year ago - BUT the sealing has been canceled and she is already remarried in the temple. We submitted our request for our sealing clearance over a month ago and I haven’t heard anything yet. I’ve tried asking my bishop and even calling church headquarters and still have gotten no kind of answers as to how long it may take. I had thought maybe we were going to get lucky and not have to wait a super long time because of the sealing already being cancelled, but I’m starting to think not so much. If anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear from you. Thanks!! 

Sorry I'm not trying to seem dense but is she needing to get her 2nd sealing cancelled?  You said she had her sealing cancelled but is remarried in the temple.  So it sounds like she is needing to get her 2nd sealing cancelled.

Welcome, @happygolucky!  Please take a deep breath, then a second one, and start over, because here's the sequence I got from your first two posts:

1. (presumably, fiancé got married at some point prior to the first statement in your post about divorce)
  2. fiancé is divorced (based on #3, it seems like this should be was divorced, until #3 happened)
  3. fiancé got married in the temple over a year ago
  4. but that sealing (the one in #3) has been canceled
  5. And then she got married in the temple again
  6. (presumably, she got divorced again)
  7. A month ago, you asked for that next sealing (the one in #5) to be canceled so that the two of you can get sealed

Post 2:

1. Some sealing was canceled
  2. She IS (?) remarried (not was?)
  3. I'm hoping she got divorced before you two got engaged...
  4. and somewhere in there is an uncanceled sealing

So, maybe just give us a bullet list of events, but if things are as convoluted as they seem, and this is a second cancellation request, with the express intend of getting sealed a third time, well, I would definitely expect that to take considerably longer than the previous two...

Edited by zil

12 minutes ago, zil said:

So, maybe just give us a bullet list of events, but if things are as convoluted as they seem, and this is a second cancellation request, with the express intend of getting sealed a third time, well, I would definitely expect that to take considerably longer than the previous two...

That was exactly my thoughts and why I was asking for clarification on this.  If this is the 2nd sealing to be canceled I would think it would take much longer as well.  I think there would be some concern with the brethren about the commitment of temple marriage.

Yeah... events described here are confusing.   But I don't think that particularly matters to the question "Hey, my fiancé filed for a sealing cancelation, how long will this take?"  

Sealings are serious covenants, and dissolving them is serious business that is considered very carefully, which requires.  It will likely be several months before you hear back.  In the meantime, pray for Christ's gift of patience.

12 hours ago, happygolucky said:

Hey guys! 

So right now I’m in the process of trying to get married. My fiancé is divorced and was married in the temple over a year ago - BUT the sealing has been canceled and she is already remarried in the temple. We submitted our request for our sealing clearance over a month ago and I haven’t heard anything yet. I’ve tried asking my bishop and even calling church headquarters and still have gotten no kind of answers as to how long it may take. I had thought maybe we were going to get lucky and not have to wait a super long time because of the sealing already being cancelled, but I’m starting to think not so much. If anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear from you. Thanks!! 

Is your fiancé a him or a her?

It sounds as if your fiancé is a HIM, and his ex-wife has already had the sealing canceled and has gotten remarried in the temple.

If it IS a HIM...you should be able to be sealed in the temple regardless and may want to clarify with the Bishop what the hang up is.

If it is a HER who has been married twice in the temple already...that may be more problematic.

If it is a HER, but she has had a sealing cancelled already and previously, I imagine you will eventually be able to be sealed, just give it patience.  Sometimes these things work quickly, sometimes they take a while, it just depends on the amount of paperwork hitting the church offices I imagine.

Haha sorry everyone. Let me try again. 

I am a female.

My fiancé is a male.

He has been married previously married in the temple but since divorced. 

His ex wife has gotten their sealing cancelled and is remarried in the temple

Me and my fiancé are trying to get married and Were told we need a sealing clearance and I was wondering how long it usually takes. We submitted it about a month ago. 

Thanks for for your patience everyone!! 

4 hours ago, happygolucky said:

Haha sorry everyone. Let me try again. 

I am a female.

My fiancé is a male.

He has been married previously married in the temple but since divorced. 

His ex wife has gotten their sealing cancelled and is remarried in the temple

Me and my fiancé are trying to get married and Were told we need a sealing clearance and I was wondering how long it usually takes. We submitted it about a month ago. 

Thanks for for your patience everyone!! 

The real answer is probably...it just depends.  There are various variables so that sometimes it happens very quickly, and other times it takes a while.  Sorry that there isn't anything more specific than that.

Adding: I tried doing more research but to be honest, the ones that would know the current status (whether all the paperwork needed is even collected yet, or if it's been turned in....etc...is probably the Bishop or Stake President.  They would be the ones that would know the most in regards to the updates at this point most likely).   My research seemed just to point to previous threads on this question here, but nothing really that new.

All I can say is, if what you said is correct, there shouldn't be too many problems.  However...it's impossible to say.  I'd suggest patience.  My suspicion (your bishop would know though) is that the hold up is the letter request...but that's just my suspicion.

There is one site I found that may be useful for you to read that may help in understanding the timeline...

One couple's journey with temple cancellation and clearance

Edited by JohnsonJones

First of all, congratulations on the engagement!

I know two couples where the engaged man had been sealed previously.

In 2012, they were engaged in March and married in October. To outsiders, it was no more or less complicated than any other sealing process. (Other than the fact that they were scheduled to be sealed a week after the temple was scheduled to reopen after cleaning, but not all of the carpet was ready so the temple wouldn't be open, but the temple president was going to seal them anyway, so he opened it up for just that ordinance.)

The other couple has a far different story, similar to the one in the article shared above: they had to wait a year to be sealed, which they chose to do as an engaged couple rather than a civilly married couple, like the couple from the blog. They also had to wait an extra while for the letter telling them that because, unfortunately, their process overlapped the passing of President Hinckley. As these are matters considered by the first presidency, you might want to allot yourself some extra patience (but definitely wait to pray for it!)