Common misconceptions: lds version

Sunday21

@Jane_Doe Mentioned that a popular news show’s description of Amish culture does not fit well with her experiences.

I was wondering to what extent lds people are misperceived.

I’ll go first: We do not excommunicate people very often and it certainly is not the first thing that we think of doing. I know many less active people living in sin, who come back to church from time to time. No one mentions this lifestyle choice. 

Even if you are going through a period of church discipline, you can attend church. You are invited to activities and people are nice to you. We don’t shun people.

Mormon women are not sheep. In fact, they are feisty. I once taught a lesson on the importance of nurturing and was almost lynched. 

Not every woman cooks, cleans or cares about crafts and they are not afraid to tell you so! 

Anything to add?

Guest MormonGator

Misconception: Mormons hate gay people, those with piercings, tattoos, long hair on men, basically anyone who doesn't look like they are on a mission. 
Truth: That's nonsense. Most LDS are among the most tolerant and loving people out there.

45 minutes ago, Fether said:

Misconception: We are all REALLY kind people.

truth: we most certainly are not ALL really kind

that concept is saved for Canadians

Anyone who thinks that all Canadians are kind and peaceful has never seen a hockey fight before. ;)

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, zil said:

Or apparently been through customs / border control...

Note: Compound trip to visit @Sunday21 this summer to be postponed. Please place a notice in the cafeteria. Further information available at a later date. 

19 hours ago, zil said:

I think the biggest one is that Mormon women are oppressed.  Crockville is my answer to that.

I like this one. In priesthood one Sunday the bishop told us to "make sure to let your wives go to the ....whatever event... on thursday night."

I thought wow...do some of these guys wives have to ask permission to go to church events??? Apparently the bishops wife does lol. Was hoping there was not any investigators in there. It made me do a double take.

Just now, paracaidista508 said:

I like this one. In priesthood one Sunday the bishop told us to "make sure to let your wives go to the ....whatever event... on thursday night."

I thought wow...do some of these guys wives have to ask permission to go to church events??? Apparently the bishops wife does lol. Was hoping there was not any investigators in there. It made me do a double take.

Methinks someone is reading waaaaay too much into an offhand comment by the bishop. Would you think the same thing if you heard the RS president tell the women, "Make sure to let your husbands go to the Elders Quorum Whatever Activity"?

3 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Misconception: Mormons hate gay people, those with piercings, tattoos, long hair on men, basically anyone who doesn't look like they are on a mission. 
Truth: That's nonsense. Most LDS are among the most tolerant and loving people out there.

Anyone who thinks that all Canadians are kind and peaceful has never seen a hockey fight before. ;)

I don't hat gay people but I hate their agenda. That is what is destroying families as they should be and have effectively destroyed the bsa. Although I have my issues with scouts in regards to the half butt way we run the program in the church, i never hated the bsa. Now i do. They are in the the same category as planned parenthood in my book since they elected to accept the gay agenda.

5 minutes ago, Vort said:

Methinks someone is reading waaaaay too much into an offhand comment by the bishop. Would you think the same thing if you heard the RS president tell the women, "Make sure to let your husbands go to the Elders Quorum Whatever Activity"?

No cuz we as men do whatever we want..the women have to ask us... id tell the rs pres' hubby to go straighten her out.

Btw...he is not the only person I have heard talk like that.

To be fully transparent, I find many of my friends (men) are actually the ones who have to ask permission. To go hunting or fishing or go watch a fight at someone's house. Seems as if they are the ones who are kept people. Must suck to be them.

Edited by paracaidista508

15 hours ago, paracaidista508 said:

We hear this a lot in our ward.  What it means in our ward is that the guys can't schedule anything for themselves unless they plan on providing childcare.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:40 PM, Sunday21 said:

@Jane_Doe Mentioned that a popular news show’s description of Amish culture does not fit well with her experiences.

I was wondering to what extent lds people are misperceived.

There is such a thing called Mormon Doctrine.

Sustaining someone means that you agree with them.

Good Mormons are Republicans – the more devoted someone is to Mormonism the more they are staunch Republicans.

Peter Priesthood and Molly Mormon are derogatory terms.

Utah Mormons are not as good as non-Utah Mormons or visa versa.

Devout Mormons do not believe in evolution.

The Book of Mormon is more important than the Bible

Important, knowing and righteous Mormons receive “higher” church callings of greater authority and prestige.

Mormons are required to have as many children as they can.

Church callings are more important than families.

If a Mormon invites a non-Mormon friend to church and the friend does not go – it will end the friendship.

The Traveler