Common misconceptions: lds version

Sunday21

18 minutes ago, e-eye said:

Like I said, it may not be where you live, but in my experience it's one of the most  incorrect misconceptions I hear in AZ.

The original assertion was that "Don't drink caffeine" is a misconception.  If you interpret that as:

• The Church forbids its members from drinking caffeine, then yes, that's a misconception.
  • No (active/faithful/good/practicing) members of the Church drink caffeine, then yes, that's a misconception.

But if you interpret that as anything less those all-inclusive statements, then it may not be a misconception. 

• Many Mormons don't drink caffeine (this is NOT a misconception)
  • Some Mormons don't drink caffeine (this is NOT a misconception)

Whether we can say that about "most" or "a majority" or "a large minority" probably can't be determined.  As near as I can tell, the younger you get, and the closer you get to Utah, the less taboo caffeine is considered.  Also, it seems to vary by household and activity level (and perhaps by how long the family has been in the Church) as well as geographic region and Mormon-density.

35 minutes ago, zil said:

The original assertion was that "Don't drink caffeine" is a misconception.  If you interpret that as:

• The Church forbids its members from drinking caffeine, then yes, that's a misconception.
  • No (active/faithful/good/practicing) members of the Church drink caffeine, then yes, that's a misconception.

But if you interpret that as anything less those all-inclusive statements, then it may not be a misconception. 

Whether we can say that about "most" or "a majority" or "a large minority" probably can't be determined.  As near as I can tell, the younger you get, and the closer you get to Utah, the less taboo caffeine is considered.  Also, it seems to vary by household and activity level (and perhaps by how long the family has been in the Church) as well as geographic region and Mormon-density.

I know that I don't drink caffeinated drinks and taught my kids the same thing (though I think some of them DO drink caffeinated drinks).  It used to even be taught over the pulpit that we were to avoid caffeinated drinks (along with R-rated movies or worse).  There were many other things that were taught and used to be practiced that are no longer pushed that strongly in the church.  I don't think that invalidates what was said before, but our times and people are changing and as they change, so do the things which are promoted or stressed to each generation.

Some of it may be that the laws held up to by former generations are things that the current generation cannot live up to.  They simply have fallen to the degree that they cannot live to that degree of the law.  A prime example of this, in my opinion, would be with Temple Marriages and Sealings.  It used to be almost impossible for one to get a Temple Divorce and then another Temple Marriage after that.  In relation to how hard it used to be, today it is like a dime a dozen.  It is so easy for people to get a Temple Divorce and another Temple Marriage these days it's like the entire teaching that we used to stress about remaining married to the one you got married to in the Temple is basically just about ignored these days.

In some other instances, it is that the time has changed.  The Word of Wisdom is a good example of this.  Originally, it was a word of wisdom, but as times changed and tests changed, the application of the Word of Wisdom changed.  When the trials were no longer that of a pioneer crossing the plains, dealing with starvation, death, and many other obstacles that would challenge the best of us, life got easier.  At that point, the Word of Wisdom became a way to tell who was the most faithful of the Saints.  The prophets received revelation for whatever reason, that the Word of Wisdom was now a Law in some parts that we needed to live by.

The different arenas of which the Word of Wisdom has been applied changes over time, and thus we see today that different parts of the Word of Wisdom are stressed, and at times, in different ways than in generations past.  We have a LIVING church, and are led by LIVING prophets.  AS such, as times change, they are there to receive revelation in regards to how the gospel is applied to our time and our place, rather than keeping it as it used to be applied to those of a different time and a different place.  Because we have a living prophet, we can have a gospel that has it's application to what is needful for our present situations in the world, and one thing that sets us apart from those who have a dead gospel (aka...one that does not have revelation to help in it's application to the present as opposed to the past).

9 hours ago, zil said:

Haha - good job. That is way more effort than I care to put into the discussion of caffeineted drinks but I’m impressed with your breakdown. 

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

FWIW, latter-day prophets have specifically, clearly,  and repeatedly, taught that we should not use addictive substances.

I'm not addicted to soda. I could quit tomorrow...  I promise, or maybe I will stop next week.  Wait I already have goals for this year so we will make it for next year.  :eek:   All this typing is making me thirsty...

Not really a LDS misconception per se, but one thing I had to look up was if missionaries are allowed to drive cars in certain areas. I always assumed that they had to ride bikes or walk. 

7 minutes ago, Tampasteve2 said:

Not really a LDS misconception per se, but one thing I had to look up was if missionaries are allowed to drive cars in certain areas. I always assumed that they had to ride bikes or walk. 

Not at all!  Many have cars.  It depends where you are.  Like here in Wyoming there's vast spaces of nothingness and you need to drive a lot.  Cars are big privileges that come with a lot of responsibility (logging miles, various rules, can be revoked, etc).

3 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

Not at all!  Many have cars.  It depends where you are.  Like here in Wyoming there's vast spaces of nothingness and you need to drive a lot.  Cars are big privileges that come with a lot of responsibility (logging miles, various rules, can be revoked, etc).

Also Canada, lots of nothing...unless snow counts!

Guest MormonGator
4 hours ago, Tampasteve2 said:

I always assumed that they had to ride bikes or walk. 

I thought so too. The first time I met them I asked them if they needed a ride somewhere and they said "No, we have a car." I was like "Oh? Did not know that!" 

14 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

Yeah, it was a surprise to me! I met a couple missionaries while I was walking to the bank from work, they were biking. I suppose since it is most common to see them biking or walking one just does not think they have a car. Biking is a real option in a good portion of this area, but not all of it...and it gets VERY hot and humid in the summer, with daily thunderstorms in the afternoons.