Fulness of Bread

SilentOne

In Sunday School today we briefly discussed the sins of Sodom as listed in Ezekiel 16.

Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good.

The general consensus seemed to be that fulness of bread likely had something to do with gluttony. But this evening it occurred to me that maybe the problem was that the Sodomites were using bread bowls or fancy sweet breads.

What do you all think? Should I avoid serving soup with bread bowls at future events?

Edited by SilentOne

I think gluttony and pride were the least of Sodoms problems.

In Genesis 19, word gets out that Lot is entertaining three strangers.  A mob of locals forms, desiring to forceably break the law of chastity with these three.  

This is like something you would expect from ISIS or something. . . apparently, Sodom was full of rapists who got what they deserved. 

Edited by DoctorLemon

I read this from Ben Spackman the other day (http://www.patheos.com/blogs/benjaminthescribe/2018/02/lesson-08-genesis-13-141-2-8-24-1816-33-191-29/ ) that suggests that what Ezekiel and others are trying to say is that the people of Sodom were in solid violation of the unwritten rules of hospitality, and that was their main sin in this account.

Edited by MrShorty
correct typo

I take it to mean that they had plenty, but refused to help those in need (as @Sunday21 and @MrShorty said).  Hugh Nibley also suggested this - that their greed and brutality toward strangers / visitors to their town were at least as bad as their violation of the law of chastity - if I remember right, Gomorrah was the one with worse greed / selfishness / cruelty problems and Sodom with chastity problems, though both shared the same sins...  (But I could be remembering that part wrong - and I could be conflating what Nibley had to say with what the book of Jasher says.)

There are many evils and sins committed throughout the world.  I ponder what sin or category of sin will move G-d to destroy an entire city, community or society?  I have tried to think what such a sin would be and then apply it to this time in which we live.  Over the years I have been unable to come up with anything that I do not find evidence of happening currently.

What I have begun to ponder is – that it was not because of what we normally think of as evil.  I am thinking rather, if it is because evil was able to overtake and cause the destruction of societies when “good” elements of people either are no longer are willing to stand up for what they know is good or that they have been driven out and sent packing.

Maybe the lesson is not about the evils of Sodom and Gomorrah – Maybe the lesson for us is our willingness to receive just criticism and to make efforts to do better rather than to isolate ourselves from those with whom we disagree.   Maybe the problem of Sodom and Gomorrah was not a willingness to sin as much as it was a unwillingness not to hear a call to repent and change for the better.   Maybe that is the symbolism of the fullness of bread.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

13 hours ago, SilentOne said:

fulness of bread

It’s a miss translation, it actually says in orignal hebrew “making of gluten free bread”.

JST corrects this. Unfortunately it is owned by the Community of Christ so we don’t have it.

Edited by Fether

16 minutes ago, eVa said:

Fulness of Bread:  When a people can no longer go through the pride cycle because the depth of their pride led to their complete and utter destruction.  Idk...maybe!!

Fulness of Bread:  When a people can no longer go through the pride cycle because the depth of their BREAD has jammed the cycle, hence causing the machine to freeze up, the “salt of the earth” injector to overfill and then explode in intense molten salt... this explains the bit about Lot’s wife.

Edited by Fether