Carol Lynn Pearson's book

jewels8

2 minutes ago, jewels8 said:

Also, is it really Church doctrine or conjecture that Mary, the mother of Jesus (Father in Heaven's daughter) will or is now one of Father in Heaven's wives. Isn't that incest?  And does that mean Father in Heaven has multiple wives?  Is that proven or conjecture that there is more than one Heavenly Mother?

There is nothing in Church teaching that states anything about Mary being God's wife.  She is Joseph's wife.

As far as Father in Heaven having multiple wives - that is, of course possible, but we do not have any revelation about Heavenly Mother, let alone any other woman sealed to the Father.

Now, how did incest come into this?

6 minutes ago, jewels8 said:

If that is  true, I really have lost respect for Him, and if He is polygamous, yuck, I have no respect for unfaithful men who practice "legalized adultery"

Well, there ya go.  Polygamy is a doctrinal FACT.  You just called God and his prophets unfaithful men who practice "legalized adultery".  What do you think God will say to that?

Edited by anatess2

13 minutes ago, jewels8 said:

If that is  true, I really have lost respect for Him, and if He is polygamous, yuck, I have no respect for unfaithful men who practice "legalized adultery"

It gets much worse. God kills babies. Children and adults, too. Just who does he think he is, anyway?

Of course, in God's mind this isn't true, but sometimes it can seem to a woman that polygamy is just a man's or male God's excuse to have sex with as many women as he or He wants  I mean , lets face it, in our mere mortal minds, there really is no reason for polygamy.  There is no righteous reason, there is No Reason.  NOthing Good comes of it.  Men JUST WAnt IT for There OWn SELFISH, AGEnda

1 minute ago, jewels8 said:

Of course, in God's mind this isn't true, but sometimes it can seem to a woman that polygamy is just a man's or male God's excuse to have sex with as many women as he or He wants  I mean , lets face it, in our mere mortal minds, there really is no reason for polygamy.  There is no righteous reason, there is No Reason.  NOthing Good comes of it.  Men JUST WAnt IT for There OWn SELFISH, AGEnda

You're projecting.  Relax, take a deep breath.  Men are not pigs.

I have taken alot of Institute of Religion and Seminary classes through the years, and though I don't recall where I learned it, I'm sure it was achurch setting, more than once, even, where the doctrine was taught that Mary is God's wife.

37 minutes ago, anatess2 said:
38 minutes ago, jewels8 said:

Many LDS have been taught that Mary is given to Heavenly Father as his wife and that Joseph will be given someone else.  I was taught this from church teachings..  

I've been a member of the Church for 20 years.  Never heard such a thing.

I've have heard of this, and yes, it has been taught at various times by some as an opinion.  One of the first to start on this opinion was, I believe, Brigham Young himself.

There is a LOT more to it than what jewels8 stated, and it is something that is speculative.  Even being speculative, it is definitely a meat type of speculation rather than a milk type speculation.  If one wants to PM me for more information, and give me a good reason to expound upon it, I can. 

It follows down the line of the Brigham to Joseph F, to Joseph Fielding, to Mckonkie line of speculative theories.

(Adding: In answer to one asking about it...I'd first point out that this is not doctrine, but their opinion, and would even go so far as to say it is in my opinion a speculative opinion.  That said, even then...)

In regards to the things of the Lord, we do not understand all the things the Lord does or states.  Ironically, though many Mormons may have a problem with Polygamy, I think there are many other things people have serious difficulties understanding how a loving Father would condone.  One of the biggest difficulties people have is the ordered Genocide of those who lived in the Land of Israel before the Hebrews/Israelites came and conquered it.  He also ordered genocide done via other prophets to his military leaders at various times in the Old Testament.

When confronted with things like this, as he normally does not expound upon his reasons for doing so to us directly, at times the best we can do is to admit we do not understand everything that the Lord understands.  That we do not understand all things, but with the hope that some day it may be explained to us and that we can understand.  The big thing to realize is that the Lord is Just and Merciful, and as such, no injustice will prevail upon us in the hereafter, that mercy and justice will both play their parts and that by such we can know that we will be happy with the why's and hows in the hereafter, even if we do not understand them here.

Edited by JohnsonJones

43 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Well, there ya go.  Polygamy is a doctrinal FACT.  You just called God and his prophets unfaithful men who practice "legalized adultery".  What do you think God will say to that?

I really don't see a need for practicing polygamy and I think we all find it easier to respect those who practice monogamy anyway.  I don't care how powerful God is, I don't respect polygymists as much as nonpolygymists. The ones who are faithful to one spouse have my respect.

1 hour ago, jewels8 said:

I really don't see a need for practicing polygamy and I think we all find it easier to respect those who practice monogamy anyway.  I don't care how powerful God is, I don't respect polygymists as much as nonpolygymists. The ones who are faithful to one spouse have my respect.

Unless the Lord comes down and commands someone personally to practice polygamy, or his servant, the prophet tells someone personally to do it, I don't think there really is any doctrinal basis that says a necessity of salvation is to practice polygamy as in marrying more than one wife or husband. (as far as I know, I am always learning new things, but right now I do not know of any doctrine that commands it specifically in order to attain salvation).  We do know that the eternal aspect of marriage, as in what we term the celestial marriage is necessary for exaltation in the highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom, but we do this and continue to do this with each sealing of a married couple in a temple every day. 

However, I do not know of any commandment saying that all men must, of necessity, be required to be married to multiple women.  In fact, Jacob condemns men assuming this idea without the Lord's commandment.  If it is in accordance with the Lord, who are we to question though?

In regard to the Lord, I do not understand all that the Lord understands or does.  I do know that marriage was a completely different thing 500 years ago, much less 1000 years ago, and even more so 2000 and 3000 years ago.  Their concept of what marriage was and is could very well be a very foreign idea to many people living today.  I expect our understanding of marriage, it's purpose, and reasons for the marriage covenants to be expanded by the Lord when we are able (most likely in the next life) and our understanding of various principles from the Lord will then be understood and probably accepted.  Until then, I think sometimes it is best just to say, we don't understand his way of thinking or how he operates, we just understand that he has stated he loves all men (meaning mankind...aka...that includes MEN and WOMEN) and desires them to come to him.

Edited by JohnsonJones
clarifications

Yes, that is true, and I appreciate the comment, but what about the fact that many men, even our own modern day prophet and apostles that marry more than one women for time & all eternity.  No doubt they are righteous men of God, but it seems selfish to do that, when they could just marry a 2nd wife for time only.  (in my limited opinion)  Not that I want to say anyone is selfish, though I said it just to show how it may be perceived, but will they have those 2 wives forever?  And why?  A man certainly doesn't need 2 wives.  What other reason could their be to have more than one other than for pure selfishness?    Why is there such an unequality in temple sealings?  With men being sealed to multiple women and until recently , women only sealed to one man?  (although I don't see a need for anyone to be sealed to more than one spouse)  but even though a woman can be sealed to more than one, there is still the caveat or wording that she can only have one in eternity, whereas a man can have an infinite number in eternity.  It is a sick doctirne.

Just now, jewels8 said:

Yes, that is true, and I appreciate the comment, but what about the fact that many men, even our own modern day prophet and apostles that marry more than one women for time & all eternity.  No doubt they are righteous men of God, but it seems selfish to do that, when they could just marry a 2nd wife for time only.  (in my limited opinion)  Not that I want to say anyone is selfish, though I said it just to show how it may be perceived, but will they have those 2 wives forever?  And why?  A man certainly doesn't need 2 wives.  What other reason could their be to have more than one other than for pure selfishness?    Why is there such an unequality in temple sealings?  With men being sealed to multiple women and until recently , women only sealed to one man?  (although I don't see a need for anyone to be sealed to more than one spouse)  but even though a woman can be sealed to more than one, there is still the caveat or wording that she can only have one in eternity, whereas a man can have an infinite number in eternity.  It is a sick doctirne.

You like to call God's teaching and God's prophets "selfish" and "sick" and "adulterers".  Weren't you the one that asked for sensitivity when talking about polygamy?  Was that just asking for everybody else to be sensitive to you while you openly and freely lambast, insult, and denigrate Godly people?

Our current prophet, Russel M. Nelson, for example, has a 2nd wife - Sister Wendy Watson Nelson after Prophet Nelson's first wife Sister Dantzel White Nelson died 11 years ago.  You think Prophet Nelson should have stayed single after the death of Dantzel?  And if not, you think Prophet Nelson should have not married Wendy for eternity and deny her an eternal companion?  It would be more selfish, in my opinion, to deny a woman an eternal companion and an eternal family.

Anyway, polygamy seems like your continued obsession.  You can't begin to understand God's purpose for such matters until you humble yourself before Him.

I think men should be more sensitive and not marry a 2nd wife for eternity unless God really Commands them too  I think Dantzel deserves a husband who is faithful to only her and doesn't have to share him with another.  Wendy never married before.  I think she deserves a husband who she doesn't have to share with another man's wife.  That is just my opinion.  He could have picked somebody else who's husband had already died and just married for time.  Of course I sustain him as a prophet.  And he can chose what he wants to do, which he did, and they will have to work it out.  But I think of the sweet reunion Pres. Monson must have with his one wife.  

I am not calling Go'd's prophets sick, selfish and adulterers.  There is a difference between stating my feelings and calling someone that.  I can have feelings and not call others things.  We need to be sensitive.  It is not an easy thing and I do not need to pretend that it is.  I have a right to my feelings and I have a right to let other woman know that they are not alone.  They deserve to know that, when they need to feel loved and understood in a place that caters to unfortunately men too much.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic