What's Cooking?

StrawberryFields

I thought that it might be fun to have so fun in this catagory and maybe even inspire each other along the way.

Since I moved back I needed to be re-inspired again about cooking, we had all got very used to eating out.

My inspiration started when some of my friends started sharing their harvest with me. Holding a fresh plump peach or tomotoe gave me inspiration to start playing again in the kitchen.

Last week I made Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup, Breadsticks and Carmeled Apples. It was a lot of fun and the family went crazy over it. :)

What are you making that you might want to share and inspire us?

I thought that it might be fun to have so fun in this catagory and maybe even inspire each other along the way.

Since I moved back I needed to be re-inspired again about cooking, we had all got very used to eating out.

My inspiration started when some of my friends started sharing their harvest with me. Holding a fresh plump peach or tomotoe gave me inspiration to start playing again in the kitchen.

Last week I made Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup, Breadsticks and Carmeled Apples. It was a lot of fun and the family went crazy over it. :)

What are you making that you might want to share and inspire us?

Oh good idea SF. I would also love some good recipes. Chicken Noodle Soup is my favorite soup. But I've never made it myself and I could use a really good tried and tested recipe. Would be fun to share some of these ideas and recipes especially since we have an international group here.

SF, will you share your recipe for that homemade chicken noodle soup?

Did you make your own noodles? Noodles are SO easy!

Egg Noodles:

2 cups all purpose flour; 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 beaten large eggs, 1/3 cup water, 1 teaspoon olive oil (or veggie cooking oil)

Reserve 1/4 cup of the flour; sift together remaining flour and salt in a bowl, make a well in the middle; In another bowl combine eggs and water and oil, stir; pour egg mixture into flour mixture and mix well.

Sprinkle reserved flour on flat surface and turn out dough onto it. Knead until smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes) Cover dough with clean cloth and let rest for 10 minutes. (You can rest too).

Then divide dough into four equal portions. Roll out each portion into 12 inch square, (about 1/16 inch thick) then loosely roll up the square (like a jelly-roll). Cut slices about 1/4 inch wide. Gently shake the slices open, and cut them to desired length (we like them long, but some like 3" lengths).

Spread them out on wire cooling rack, or flat on wax paper (you have to turn them over once to dry completely if you do this) Let dry 4 to 6 hours, or overnight, depends on your humidity level, or arrange on dehydrator shelves.

Once dry, store in airtight back in fridge up to 3 days, or you can freeze for 8 months. (If you only want to make a small batch, you can store the unused 3 portions of dough in fridge for 3 days, but you need to let it come to room temperature to roll it out. Each portion makes about 1/4 pound of pasta.)

To cook, put in hot water or broth for 2 minutes. (Add to chicken soup when it is through simmering, as the very last ingredient.)

It sounds harder than it is, and so much more delicious than store bought packaged noodles.

Does anyone know how to make a flan?

Egg Noodles:

2 cups all purpose flour; 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 beaten large eggs, 1/3 cup water, 1 teaspoon olive oil (or veggie cooking oil)

Reserve 1/4 cup of the flour; sift together remaining flour and salt in a bowl, make a well in the middle; In another bowl combine eggs and water and oil, stir; pour egg mixture into flour mixture and mix well.

Sprinkle reserved flour on flat surface and turn out dough onto it. Knead until smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes) Cover dough with clean cloth and let rest for 10 minutes. (You can rest too).

Then divide dough into four equal portions. Roll out each portion into 12 inch square, (about 1/16 inch thick) then loosely roll up the square (like a jelly-roll). Cut slices about 1/4 inch wide. Gently shake the slices open, and cut them to desired length (we like them long, but some like 3" lengths).

Spread them out on wire cooling rack, or flat on wax paper (you have to turn them over once to dry completely if you do this) Let dry 4 to 6 hours, or overnight, depends on your humidity level, or arrange on dehydrator shelves.

Once dry, store in airtight back in fridge up to 3 days, or you can freeze for 8 months. (If you only want to make a small batch, you can store the unused 3 portions of dough in fridge for 3 days, but you need to let it come to room temperature to roll it out. Each portion makes about 1/4 pound of pasta.)

To cook, put in hot water or broth for 2 minutes. (Add to chicken soup when it is through simmering, as the very last ingredient.)

It sounds harder than it is, and so much more delicious than store bought packaged noodles.

Does anyone know how to make a flan?

I will have to try that on one of my rare days off. I still want a good recipe for chicken noodle soup. I've never made flan but would be interested in that as well.

And between us....john doe would love a REALLY good recipe for pumpkin pie. It's his favorite. shhhhh

I will have to try that on one of my rare days off. I still want a good recipe for chicken noodle soup. I've never made flan but would be interested in that as well.

And between us....john doe would love a REALLY good recipe for pumpkin pie. It's his favorite. shhhhh

hee hee. Well, let's just all PM John Doe with a good pumpkin pie recipe.

<div class='quotemain'>

He would love that. Good suggestion.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

He would love that. Good suggestion.

The only thing pumpkins are good for is making jack-o-lanterns. And target practice when sighting in my guns. :shootout::shootout::shootout:

The only thing pumpkins are good for is making jack-o-lanterns. And target practice when sighting in my guns. :shootout::shootout::shootout:

As an aside, the kind of pumpkins you make jack-o-lanterns out of are not the kind you would want to eat. In my part of Scotland, the canned pumpkin used to make pumpkin pie with just plain isn't available, so I need to buy pumpkins and cook them from scratch. If I tried to cook a jack-o-lantern/shotgun-target pumpkin, then I'd get a bad tasting, stringy pumpkin pie.

-Gabelpa

Oh Like, "THANKS for stealing my THUNDER!!! :lol:

Seriously, this is something my family gets as a special treat. :lol::lol:

The noodle recipe that AG posted I am sure is fine.

I save the broth from when I pressure cook chicken and roasts and use that along with more broth or soup.

I add carrots and celery to the meat, broth and noodles. My secret ingrediant is a gravy mix that I have deveopled and nothing I have written down. I usually make breadsticks to go with the soup. We have had a tradition of making this Christmas Eve. It was my mom who started the tradition but I have since continued it. :)

I'm a great cook. I can do both hot and cold.

For cold, my speciality is peanutbutter sandwich. Sometimes I get fancy and add a presliced piece of cheese.

For hot, my speciality if peanutbutter on toast. Sometimes I'll add cheese (we use a toaster oven), but that requires more skill, so as not to burn the cheese.

A list of things I cook very well:

1. BBQ Stakes (Rib eye cut)

2. Meat Loaf (my special recipe)

3. Pot Roast – with mushrooms.

4. Mash Potatoes (Mix with cream cheese)

5. Whole Wheat waffles (my special recipe)

6. French Toast (my special recipe)

7. BBQ Lemon chicken

8. BBQ Salmon – several varieties.

9 Toasted cheese sandwich with tomatoes and jalapeños

The Traveler

<div class='quotemain'>

Traveler...that sounds like a pretty tall list of recipes. I'm thinking you need to send the mods a sample platter, so we can evaluate your skills objectively. :-)

I second that motion..... :)

It is not the big of a list. I got started doing a little cooking as a gift for my wife. Many years ago I started a tradition of cooking the Sunday meal to give my wife a day of rest. It took a while to get even a simple meat loaf right - but once I got the basic down the engineer in me had to figure out a way to improve it a little.

PC. When you come to Utah - let me know. If I am in town we will have your family over for a sample. What do you think you would like best - Stake or salmon.

BTW my forum friends - The stuff on the list is best fresh -- warmed over just is not the way it should be eaten.

How about this - any body interested in a pot luck when PC comes to Utah?

The Traveler

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Traveler...that sounds like a pretty tall list of recipes. I'm thinking you need to send the mods a sample platter, so we can evaluate your skills objectively. :-)

I second that motion..... :)

It is not the big of a list. I got started doing a little cooking as a gift for my wife. Many years ago I started a tradition of cooking the Sunday meal to give my wife a day of rest. It took a while to get even a simple meat loaf right - but once I got the basic down the engineer in me had to figure out a way to improve it a little.

PC. When you come to Utah - let me know. If I am in town we will have your family over for a sample. What do you think you would like best - Stake or salmon.

BTW my forum friends - The stuff on the list is best fresh -- warmed over just is not the way it should be eaten.

How about this - any body interested in a pot luck when PC comes to Utah?

The Traveler

PC will be here in UT late June of 2008. :)

My personal favorite is a stuffed hamburger.

You take 2 raw meat paddies and on top of one of them you add some sheese, diced onions, diced green peppers, etc. Then you place the other paddie on top and blend the two together leaving a small opening at one end. Then you BBQ them a little longer than you would a normal burger. MMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

Serve with regular BBQ fixings.

I worked as a chef for a couple of years and I picked up some great stuff during that time. One French restaurant I worked in, the head chef gave me this great recipe for fish.

Use whatever white fish you like, haddock, cod, whatever, but it's best when it is smoked. Bung it in a deep saute pan with cream, leeks and a wee bit of onion, and gently poach it for about 15 minutes. That's it! The cream sauce thickens up nicely and you can keep the fillet whole or break it up during cooking. I love having it with tons of mashed potatoes :sparklygrin:

And the next time you make meatballs, try putting a cube of really mature cheese in the centre, it's all gooey and lovely!

Can I just add a wee congratulation to one of the missionaries currently serving in my area? When he arrived here he was finding anything more than toast challenging, but I have been getting him to cook our Friday night D/A for the past month and he can now make Shepherd's Pie, Carbonara, Palak Lamb and Spaghetti Bolognaise. He even knows how to cut veggies like a real chef! OK so I'm pretty sure they are still living off Pot Noodles and beans on toast in the flat but I guess it's a start :sparklygrin: