Preparing for the Millenium

jewels8

My husband and I have read a couple books by Roger K. Young regarding some dreams and visions that he compiled about the preparation of the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, the destruction of the world and ushering in of The Millenium.  Brother Young does note in the book of the need to use the Holy Spirit to guide the reader in how to interpret the things that he or she reads and how they may apply to them.  The book has given me and my husband reminders and insight in the importance in being temporally (as in having enough food storage, fuel, other emergency supplies , medical family needs, etc)  prepared and in being spiritually prepared (reading our scriptures, having daily individual prayers, family prayer and scripture study, family home evening, blessings, temple work, family history, church attendance & service, living close to the spirit, etc)  Also, I recall a vision given about 9/11, as well., and other signs of the last days, that we are living in.  Has anyone else read these or other books like them and would anyone like to share their insights about them?  After reading about being called to go into the Rocky Mountains, it makes you wonder when that is going to happen.  Anyways, we have been asked to be prepared, and need to do what we can.  We have some things prepared, and need to work on other preparations.  We have been counseled not to go into debt, but to do what we can.  I know in our area, it seems there has been a lot of focus in the Church lately on preparation.  

Ugh.  No.  Jewels8, run far from RKY.  Run fast.  He's a nut.  His "callout" visions have come and gone like 4-5 times now.

If you want to learn how to drive an RV to the rocky mountains and live like a hermit for a year, he's your man.  But for the love of pete, don't give him any money, or buy into the spiritual vision-ey advice of him or his followers.

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Ugh.  No.  Jewels8, run far from RKY.  Run fast.  He's a nut.  His "callout" visions have come and gone like 4-5 times now.

If you want to learn how to drive an RV to the rocky mountains and live like a hermit for a year, he's your man.  But for the love of pete, don't give him any money, or buy into the spiritual vision-ey advice of him or his followers.

And all this time I thought you were his biggest fan and supporter. My bad. Sorry. 

5 hours ago, jewels8 said:

My husband and I have read a couple books by Roger K. Young regarding some dreams and visions that he compiled about the preparation of the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, the destruction of the world and ushering in of The Millenium.  Brother Young does note in the book of the need to use the Holy Spirit to guide the reader in how to interpret the things that he or she reads and how they may apply to them.  The book has given me and my husband reminders and insight in the importance in being temporally (as in having enough food storage, fuel, other emergency supplies , medical family needs, etc)  prepared and in being spiritually prepared (reading our scriptures, having daily individual prayers, family prayer and scripture study, family home evening, blessings, temple work, family history, church attendance & service, living close to the spirit, etc)  Also, I recall a vision given about 9/11, as well., and other signs of the last days, that we are living in.  Has anyone else read these or other books like them and would anyone like to share their insights about them?  After reading about being called to go into the Rocky Mountains, it makes you wonder when that is going to happen.  Anyways, we have been asked to be prepared, and need to do what we can.  We have some things prepared, and need to work on other preparations.  We have been counseled not to go into debt, but to do what we can.  I know in our area, it seems there has been a lot of focus in the Church lately on preparation.  

I have one of his books. He has a lot of good insights but he is no prophet. The book I have was written before Y2K and pretty much everything he said would happen regarding Y2K never happened. That was back in the "tent city" movement days and several of my neighbors swore by it- had dreams, etc. But, then again, nothing happened. There was an offshoot group that started to go apostate and it took a general authority to stomp out the tent city movement.

I dont read Roger K Youngs stuff anymore. I follow the prophets.

Edited by Rob Osborn

Yes, he I think in the preface, says that these things are not church doctrine and need to be taken with a grain of salt and admits that he is not a prophet, or something to that effect.  The "tent city" movement has been a concept that I do wonder about, since I have heard about there will be a "call out"  and we don't know when that will be.  I admit that I have been, I don't know if "intrigued" is the right word, but wondering about being ready to have enough food storage and supplies for a big semi to pick up in the middle of the night when going to Church one Sunday and being told that those with food storage need to attend a meeting.  And then told to be ready to have the semi load there supplies in the middle of the night, pack their family in their van or car and follow a caravan of cars and head off into the Rocky Mountains or wherever they are supposed to meet.  I was concerned when our kids seemed a bit concerned and I had to remind my husband to tone it down.  'Although the world definitely is getting more wicked, we really don't know when it will be.  We need to do our best to prepare, but live life everyday and not live in fear.    Our kids have forgotten pretty much about it now, as it has been months since anything has been brought up about it.

My husband has been concerned , when we first started reading it last year, that this could be happening within a year, now we are not really so sure when, though of course we know , no one really knows the time it will happen, save the Savior himself, though He did give us some signs to look for.  It has been a while since I have studied up on the signs , but I sometimes write things down and see what our food storage looks like, etc.  

Some of Bro. Young's things on the dreams, I think, may hold more merit then the Y2K thing did.  Admittedly, that didn't pan out, and I can understand why Rob Osborn would say he was no prophet.  The thing with the other things Young put in are just dreams and visions that others have had, including some of the past General Authorities, that may have more merit for us to spiritually interpret and discern prayerfully for ourselves.  

@jewels8

everything you need to know about the last days is found in general conference and the scriptures :)

The end of the world topic is a popular one and can quickly drag people in. Many of the people I know that are deep in it no longer read heir scriptures (unless it is revelations or a scripture mentioning the last days). I feel it can be more destructive than beneficial to dive too deeply into these topics.

Let the future take care of itself, we have work to do right now 

3 hours ago, jewels8 said:

Yes, he I think in the preface, says that these things are not church doctrine and need to be taken with a grain of salt and admits that he is not a prophet, or something to that effect.  The "tent city" movement has been a concept that I do wonder about, since I have heard about there will be a "call out"  and we don't know when that will be.  I admit that I have been, I don't know if "intrigued" is the right word, but wondering about being ready to have enough food storage and supplies for a big semi to pick up in the middle of the night when going to Church one Sunday and being told that those with food storage need to attend a meeting.  And then told to be ready to have the semi load there supplies in the middle of the night, pack their family in their van or car and follow a caravan of cars and head off into the Rocky Mountains or wherever they are supposed to meet.  I was concerned when our kids seemed a bit concerned and I had to remind my husband to tone it down.  'Although the world definitely is getting more wicked, we really don't know when it will be.  We need to do our best to prepare, but live life everyday and not live in fear.    Our kids have forgotten pretty much about it now, as it has been months since anything has been brought up about it.

My husband has been concerned , when we first started reading it last year, that this could be happening within a year, now we are not really so sure when, though of course we know , no one really knows the time it will happen, save the Savior himself, though He did give us some signs to look for.  It has been a while since I have studied up on the signs , but I sometimes write things down and see what our food storage looks like, etc.  

Some of Bro. Young's things on the dreams, I think, may hold more merit then the Y2K thing did.  Admittedly, that didn't pan out, and I can understand why Rob Osborn would say he was no prophet.  The thing with the other things Young put in are just dreams and visions that others have had, including some of the past General Authorities, that may have more merit for us to spiritually interpret and discern prayerfully for ourselves.  

I am curious where you think this "call out" originated from in regards to the tent city movement. Are your resources LDS prophets?

Roger K. Young is the source of "The Callout."  The callout is a philosophy of a man mingled with scripture.    There will be no callout as described by RKY and his "tentites".

While this is not the most detailed refutation, it is sufficient:

https://askgramps.org/will-there-be-a-calling-out-to-all-members-to-go-and-live-in-tent-cities/

Studying about the last days is intriguing. We all would like to know what's ahead. And the Lord himself has commanded us to search the scriptures so that we can read the signs of the times and thus be prepared. But we need to be leery of anyone who professes to teach more than what the prophets have taught. If someone other than the prophets teaches a new doctrine or new prophecy the truthfulness of what they teach is irrelevant. Unless God reveals something specifically to us (in which case it's for us and not everyone else) or through his chosen servants to all the saints we are not held responsible for it and it is, at its best, a distraction from those things that God has revealed and at its worst a lie meant to deceive and lead astray. So if you choose to read commentary about the last days (and I like to from time to time) see it for what it is and then go back to God's revealed word to know what to actually do to prepare.

I keep waiting for an AVOW dream-and-vision-following lurker to show up here and post a massive wall of text full of exhortations to open our eyes to the truth from which we're hiding our heads in the sand.  It used to happen within days in years past, they're getting slower.

The stubborn tenacity of these folks is always fun to watch.  Nothing puts a dent in them.  I've met folks who just KNOW that bishops are all aware of impending callouts, and will shortly be announcing it to specific members known for their righteousness.  When they talk to their bishop, who claims there is absolutely no such thing happening, they don't budge.  Someone talks to a stake president or an area authority, who tells them it's all nonsense and they should stop reading so many comic books, they don't budge. 

I'm hoping one will stop by here, so I can ask them about the Mormon leaks from last year.  One of the stolen videos is of various apostles getting briefings on the church's emergency preps, and it's all bishop's storehouse, and welfare farms, and employment aid, and how-do-we-help-poorer countries and whatnot.  Total lack of any millenium-ey, impending social collapse-ey, melodramatic plans.  I'd like to hear what they have to say about that. 

At various times because of our callings both my wife and I have taught young men and young women how to live in tents and cook over fires (mostly coals).  I have taught how to backpack to youth.  It may come as a surprise to many but my wife and I have (only because we were called to do so) taught youth in our stake how to pull a hand cart with supplies in order to survive if someday it is necessary to travel in such a matter.  I have also taught young men how to build a snow cave and survive in temperatures as low as -30 degrees F.

All this because I was called to teach these things to youth.  But to be honest the only time I have needed a snow cave to survive in -30 degrees F is when I have been doing so – not as the option to survive but as a youth activity.

I do not know that pulling a handcart will be necessary – I do not know if snow caves will be necessary either.  Sometimes I think we teach such things – more to understand what can be done rather than what must be done.  I do not know what is necessary to prepare for the coming of our Messiah – but I believe we should doing things that will make us and prepare us to be physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

The Traveler

I don't know if this relates, but I thought I would throw it out there.  I grew up in the midwest and my mom always told me one day the brethren would call those willing and able to pick up and go to SW MO.  Anyone heard anything similar?

7 minutes ago, eVa said:

I don't know if this relates, but I thought I would throw it out there.  I grew up in the midwest and my mom always told me one day the brethren would call those willing and able to pick up and go to SW MO.  Anyone heard anything similar?

Yep.  When I was 7, the little girl who lived down the street's dad actually packed his family up and moved there.  He said he was doing it early "so the rest of you will have a place to stay when it happens".  Such a pity - the little girl and I were going to grow up and get married.  

I'd be interested to know why your mom thinks that - where she got the notion.  I'm pretty positive it isn't from any doctrinal source.  I'm guessing plain old cultural urban legend stuff, like people who live on the wrong side of 13th east in Salt Lake don't refrigerate their ketchup.  You just can't trust people who don't refrigerate their ketchup. 

4 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

where she got the notion.

She claims it was a GA, but hasn't said who.  I could never find anything out about it.  In HS, we went on a church history tour when we studied D&C.  I want to say I heard about it on that trip too, so who knows.  Sounds to me like it could have been concocted by individuals who don't refrigerate their ketchup.  *queue Twilight Zone music* 

1 hour ago, eVa said:

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/history-photos/photo-10?lang=eng

http://www.lds-mormon.com/adam_ond.shtml

26 minutes ago, Rob Osborn said:

And there you go.  The scriptures became interpretations, the interpretations became assumptions and speculation, and there you have it.  Some folks figure they'll get a call from their Bishops one day asking them to move to Missouri.  And some folks, (like the dad of the little girl down the street from me), just figure they won't wait for that call.

And now RKY and his AVOW folks figure it'll be RVs in the rocky mountains instead.  I mean yeah, it's possible the Lord may ask me to do things I never considered.  But given the onionskin-thin tapestry of guesses in these links, I'd be really surprised if it was "Bro NT, pack up your family, quit your job, and move to Missouri/the Rocky Mountains.

Your mileage may vary.

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

And there you go.  The scriptures became interpretations, the interpretations became assumptions and speculation, and there you have it.  Some folks figure they'll get a call from their Bishops one day asking them to move to Missouri.  And some folks, (like the dad of the little girl down the street from me), just figure they won't wait for that call.

And now RKY and his AVOW folks figure it'll be RVs in the rocky mountains instead.  I mean yeah, it's possible the Lord may ask me to do things I never considered.  But given the onionskin-thin tapestry of guesses in these links, I'd be really surprised if it was "Bro NT, pack up your family, quit your job, and move to Missouri/the Rocky Mountains.

Your mileage may vary.

We do know Adam will meet with priesthood leaders in Missouri to get an accounting of their stewardships. That much is official doctrine from scripture. What that entails, how and who yhat pertains to is certainly somewhat speculative.