I don’t want to share my husband in Heaven

Hello

20 minutes ago, Blossom76 said:

I want to be a part of the church that speaks for Jesus and God on the earth.

Well, that is certainly a good desire to have.  Obviously, I believe that the LDS Church fulfills that role.  However, if that is specifically what you are seeking, then the only other church I can think of that adequately attempts to make that claim is the Catholic church.  In my mind, in terms of authority to speak for God, it is one or the other of Catholicism or Mormonism.  Protestant faith's tend to believe that God has stopped speaking to man and usually don't claim any type of prophetic authority to speak for God (outside of their interpretation of the Bible).  I suppose you may have been aware of that, which may have been the origin of your investigation to begin with, but that's my perspective on the matter.

16 minutes ago, person0 said:

Well, that is certainly a good desire to have.  Obviously, I believe that the LDS Church fulfills that role.  However, if that is specifically what you are seeking, then the only other church I can think of that adequately attempts to make that claim is the Catholic church.  In my mind, in terms of authority to speak for God, it is one or the other of Catholicism or Mormonism.  Protestant faith's tend to believe that God has stopped speaking to man and usually don't claim any type of prophetic authority to speak for God (outside of their interpretation of the Bible).  I suppose you may have been aware of that, which may have been the origin of your investigation to begin with, but that's my perspective on the matter.

We have a very similar view on this, to me it comes down to 4 choices.

Catholicism - Jesus was right, the gates of hell did not prevail and the Catholic Church is right in its interpretation of that scripture and still holds authority to speak for god on earth

Lutheranism - Martin Luther was right and held the core doctrines of the true church in place and ditched the corruption.

Catholicism take 2 - Martin Luther had a point and because of him (eventually!) the corruption was taken out of the church (after all the corruption was from church members and leaders abusing doctrine, which is bad members and leaders not a bad church) and is still the true church.

LDS - Jospeh Smith was telling the truth about everything 

I'll keep studying - authority is important to me, it does matter a great deal to me.  God will help me work out where he wants me to be.

Edited by Blossom76

1 hour ago, Blossom76 said:

I'll keep studying - authority is important to me, it does matter a great deal to me.  God will help me work out where he wants me to be.

And I'll keep praying that your studies bring you full circle back to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, with all your questions answered to your satisfaction, and/or pacified through the Spirit of the Lord.

On 3/13/2018 at 8:23 AM, person0 said:

With all due respect, that would pretty much eliminate all Christianity, Islam, and Judaism.  Not that that is a problem, if that is what you want.

I think I may understand what you mean by this. According to a Pew Report,  40% of new marriages include at least one previously married partner. (see HERE)  

Reasonably assuming this statistic holds true for non-LDS Christians, then plural marriage, while perhaps not preached by Christian denominations, is a substantial practice among Christians.

Granted, those plural marriages are of a serial rather than concurrent nature, but no less pertinent to the topic at hand.

The difference between LDS and other Christians today, then, isn't in the earthly practice of plural marriage, but rather the respective doctrines concerning heavenly marriage. Most Christian denominations reject the notion of marriage in heaven or eternal marriage, while LDS embrace the concept. At best, most Christian denominations have a vague notions of loved ones being together in the afterlife, while LDS believe that families are forever.

In other words, the issue of plural marriage is a factor for all Christians while on earth, but not in heaven.

To each their own.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Edited by wenglund

13 minutes ago, wenglund said:

The difference between LDS and other Christians today, then, isn't in the earthly practice of plural marriage, but rather in the respective doctrines concerning heavenly marriage. Most Christian denominations reject the notion of marriage in heaven or eternal marriage, while LDS embrace the concept. At best, most Christian denominations have a vague notions of loved ones being together in the afterlife, while LDS believe that families are forever.

Right...except they just conveniently ignore the problem. Future me's problem. Either way...two wives in life, two husbands in life....if you believe in an afterlife, you either have to accept that the two spouses you had in the cases of death and remarriage are going to hang with you or one of them is getting the shaft.