Revelation

Juloe

56 minutes ago, Juloe said:

Can we receive personal revelation about who we will date? Like if we like someone can we pray about it and ask god if we will have have the chance to date them?

You are welcome to ask Our Father in Heaven anything you like. If the subject matter is important and sincere to you, what better person to ask.

Given that dating is a marriage selection process. And, given that marriage may be one of the most, if not the most important decisions in your life and the life of your future children. I would think it highly advisable to involve our Heavenly Father in such a worthy activity.

However, to me, what would be more beneficial than asking who to date, would be guidance in determining the desired qualities for a husband /wife, and more importantly a father.mother.

Armed with this guidance the choices of who to date will be made somewhat obvious.

I say this as an old single guy who never married, in part, because he didn't follow his own advise. :(

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

1 hour ago, Juloe said:

Like if we like someone can we pray about it and ask god if we will have have the chance to date them?

It is important to have wisdom with any decision we have to make especially one involving the opposite sex.  James' advice that Joseph Smith used can be applied to to any subject, in my opinion.  Like the above comments suggested, it must be something your heart is fully into as well as ample faith that you will receive an answer.  Also, go to Father in humility willing to accept His answer especially if it is not the one you desire.  Best wishes!!

2 hours ago, Juloe said:

Can we receive personal revelation about who we will date? Like if we like someone can we pray about it and ask god if we will have have the chance to date them?

Let me be clear on this... if you are looking for the spirit to say “HIM! HE IS THE ONE!”

There will be none of that. There is no way out of the awkward chase of dating, no way to avoid the “I like you!” And the boy saying “I don’t like you”... it’s just what we have to experience... you won’t get around it (unless you are me... all girls loved me ;) )

But here are some reliable sources of advice!

https://www.lds.org/new-era/2010/04/dating-advice-from-prophets-and-apostles?lang=eng

How do you choose a wife? I’ve heard a lot of young people from Brigham Young University and elsewhere say, “I’ve got to get a feeling of inspiration. I’ve got to get some revelation. I’ve got to fast and pray and get the Lord to manifest to me whom I should marry.” Well, maybe it will be a little shock to you, but never in my life did I ever ask the Lord whom I ought to marry. It never occurred to me to ask him. I went out and found the girl I wanted; she suited me; I evaluated and weighed the proposition, and it just seemed a hundred percent to me as though this ought to be. Now, if I’d done things perfectly, I’d have done some counseling with the Lord, which I didn’t do; but all I did was pray to the Lord and ask for some guidance and direction in connection with the decision that I’d reached. A more perfect thing to have done would have been to counsel with him relative to the decision and get a spiritual confirmation that the conclusion, which I by my agency and faculties had arrived at, was the right one.”

- Elder Bruce R McConkie

Thinking back to the people I dated in highschool, they were ALL fantastic young women, all of which I could have married and lived happily with... but I don’t know that God ever inspired me to ask a particular girl out. He inspired me as to what standards to adopt and what to look out for, but never did I ever receive revelation, or even expect to receive revelation on who to date.

ALSO! Study this regardless of your age. Live by it :)

https://www.lds.org/youth/for-the-strength-of-youth/dating?lang=eng&_r=1

2 hours ago, Juloe said:

I would suggest it good to remember that the outcome of such a prayer will always depend upon the agency of the other person. This especially applies to your second question. Asking God if we will have a chance is already answered: you always have a chance, whether great or small. We often determine how great or small it is (we have to act!).

I think, more than likely, the spirit will tell you who not to continue to date.  But you don't have one soul mate that you need to find.  You have lots of potential people who are compatible with you, and your goals and your hobbies, and your personality.  And a lot who aren't.   Just know the difference.