Japanese Public Bathing?...

granolasyrup

I have been a bit baffled by the morality of traditional Japanese public bathing. In Japanese culture it is by no means an unchaste or promiscuous and expressive act, but rather a ritualistic cleansing of no sexual connotation. My research states, (from “For the Strength of Youth”), “ Never lower your standards of dress. Do not use a special occasion as an excuse to be immodest.” Is this that “special occasion” mentioned? Is this immodesty? It further mentions, “ Ask yourself, “Would I feel comfortable with my appearance if I were in the Lord’s presence?””. It also talks about not wearing immodest clothing, (or in this case the lack of any), to draw in others attention, but public bathing is not meant to do that. Ive heard that the Fukuoka (or some other Japanese mission’s) mission rules allowed for public bathing at some point, but my source was dodgy. Does anyone have any solid doctorinal/policy stance on this, (not looking for opinions sorry!). I will be heading out to Japan in a year or so and want to know if I should avoid an onsen (public bathhouse), or if it would be a fine experience. Thanks!

@granolasyrup,

The answer to your question about "solid doctrinal/policy stance" is that you've already read it.  You don't need to be commanded in all things.  You can make a judgment for yourself.

But I'm afraid you have an incorrect understanding about this practice in Japan. 

1. There is a difference between an Onsen and a Sento.  An Onsen is a hot spring.  This is somewhat similar to going to people going to natural hot springs at a resort in the states.
  2. Sento are baths with heated public water.  This is similar to going to a spa with a sauna. 
  3. Most are sexually segregated.

So ask yourself if you've ever gone to a spa or sauna or hot spring in your home country.  If not, why are you going to one in Japan?  Are you looking for naked women?  Unless you happen upon (or actively look for) the less frequent ones that do not sexually segregate, then you're going to be stuck looking at a bunch of flabby men with saggy man-breasts.

OMT, as a gaijin, you probably  want to avoid either an onsen or a sento.  There are very important points of etiquette that you will probably mess up.  And Japanese are very particular about etiquette -- especially in settings like this.  You mess that up and you'll be shunned by all Japanese bath houses for all eternity.

Edited by Guest

21 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Same difference in a way.

Not if the Japanese have rituals around the use of (one of) these places.  And if use is optional (as sounds the case here), why go out of your way to participate?  I use the shower at home, even though I suppose I could go to the nearest Gold's Gym and offend everyone in the locker room...

Most Sento and Onsen are segregated men/women.  It is very unlikely to find one that isn't.  I personally love visiting the onsen and sento in Japan.  very relaxing.

That said, in many sento there is an old woman that sits between the female and male side.  She will be able to see you buck naked.  If you get hung up on an old woman seeing you buck naked, then don't go.

But a little story.   The first time I went to Japan, I got off the plane and headed for the restroom.  I am standing there doing my thing at the stall and in comes the cleaning lady cleaning behind me.  It was then that I decided that getting hung up on petty stuff is not going to do well for me.

Different issue, but similar situation. Like LDS, American Assemblies of God folk do not drink alcohol. However, we are not centrally-governed, and the French A/G do allow moderate consumption. Some of our missionaries (permanent--planning to spend their adult lives 'on the field') attempted to fit in with their new culture, by moderately drinking. However, some of them ended up having to return home, because they became alcoholic. Now, the French A/G understand that American missionaries are not permitted to drink, and they no longer try to encourage them to do so. My thought:  Japanese public bathing may be completely respectful and modest, within the culture. However, it may cause an American, no matter how well-intentioned, to stumble. So, in making a decision, consider your own spiritual walk, in addition to what's appropriate in the culture.

10 hours ago, zil said:

Not if the Japanese have rituals around the use of (one of) these places.  And if use is optional (as sounds the case here), why go out of your way to participate?  I use the shower at home, even though I suppose I could go to the nearest Gold's Gym and offend everyone in the locker room...

The rituals have to do with how one uses them. 

For example, you're supposed to bathe *before* you actually get into the hot springs to prevent from contaminating the water. 

As far as "mixed" baths and "mixed" hot springs go, they're rare, and the ones that *aren't* intended for families to bathe together in are generally going to be off-limits to foreigners.