a change in practice when handling king conversions

The old way

Mosiah 25: 17 – 18

17  And it came to pass that after Alma had taught the people many things, and had made an end of speaking to them, that king Limhi was desirous that he might be baptized; and all his people were desirous that they might be baptized also.

18  Therefore, Alma did go forth into the water and did baptize them; yea, he did baptize them after the manner he did his brethren in the waters of Mormon; yea, and as many as he did baptize did belong to the church of God; and this because of their belief on the words of Alma.

The new way

President Nelson’s talk in the Saturday afternoon session of the October 2017 General Conference

After experiencing the power of the Savior’s words in 3 Nephi, the king proclaimed, “If I am converted and join the Church, I will bring my whole tribe with me.”

“Oh, King,” I said, “it doesn’t work that way. Conversion is an individual matter. The Savior ministered to the Nephites one by one. Each individual receives a witness and testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.”

I don't see how "the way" has changed.

Old: King desired it, and each individual subject also desired it.  Nobody made anybody else do anything - they acted on their desires.
New: King offers to make his subjects convert.  He's informed nobody should make anybody else do it - it's an individual witness and testimony thing.

Where's the difference?

huh?  I feel like I'm missing something here...

King Limhi was desirous that his people also be baptized and share in this joy-- like Lehi wanting to share the fruit of the Tree of Life with his family.  That doesn't mean they had to.  And frankly, even if a person was forced into baptism, it's doesn't really do anything if the person's heart isn't in it.  

7 hours ago, askandanswer said:

And it came to pass that after Alma had taught the people many things, and had made an end of speaking to them, that king Limhi was desirous that he might be baptized; and all his people were desirous that they might be baptized also.

The king did not force them to join the church.  They wanted to join on their own after they were taught.

Edited by bytebear