It's a small world....

beefche

11 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Yes, but there is a loophole.  I'm not an expert in marriages. But I do know about Engineering licenses.  And there is some restriction that can be placed on licensees from other states.

If I got my license in Texas, I can apply for reciprocity in California.  But in CA the exam has three parts.  The first part is the same national exam that TX uses.  But I'd still have to pass the other two exams to get a license in CA.

I cold potentially lose my license due to malpractice in CA while maintaining it in TX due to differing laws regarding malpractice.  And in such a situation, CA does not need to recognize my license from TX.

For the marriage situation,I can see that they'd honor the "ceremony" part.  But if they did not satisfy the relationship clause, this could very well be cause to not recognize the marriage.  Gay marriage gets around it because of the political impetus behind it.  But cousin marriages -- or brother/sister marriages for that matter would not have such political motivation to support it.

I'm pretty confident that engineering or other professional licenses are a different matter altogether from marriages.

31 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

So how is DOMA legal?

As of 2015, it’s not.  Before then, I think the justification was that the feds weren’t technically refusing to recognize the validity of a marriage per se; they were just refusing to use some state definitions of “marriage” as a litmus test in allocating certain federal benefits.

22 minutes ago, Vort said:

I'm pretty confident that engineering or other professional licenses are a different matter altogether from marriages.

I realize there are differences.  But I was pointing out that the Full Faith and Credit Clause may not be sufficient to support this.

So, small world, huh?

51 minutes ago, Vort said:

I knew a couple who used to say, "We met at Grandpa's." Nice young couple, and their kids seemed reasonably normal.

Well, Abraham and Sarah were half-brother/sister. :o:eek::blink::excl::diablo:

For people who have been around in the church in the Philippines for a long time, it can be a really small world as illustrated by this story.

In January my wife and I attended a 30 year mission reunion. Not far from where the reunion was held is the office of the Cebu Mission. The current Mission President was a childhood friend, and a former counsellor to my BIL when he was a bishop so my wife decided to pay him a visit. We took with us one of my former missionary companions. It turns out that my former companion was also well acquainted with the Mission President because prior to being called as a Mission President (MP), the MP was an Area Authority who directed the recovery effort in Tacloban after Typhoon Haiyan. My former companion, who works for the church as a regional physical facilities manager was closely involved in the recovery effort and worked quite closely with the MP during that time. The other reason why we wanted to visit the MP was because my son’s closest church friend, from our ward, is currently serving a mission in Cebu, and it just so happened that his area included the location of the Mission Office and the location where the reunion was being held and we wanted to arrange to have lunch with him. So we go to the Mission Office and have a great visit. It turns out that the MP’s wife is acquainted with my former Home Teacher and now Stake President, as he had served part of his mission in her home town over 30 years ago. Then we learn that the MP’s daughter, who had returned from her mission only a few months ago had been living right next door to my former companion in her last area and they had worked together quite a bit. After a while the two Assistants to the President turn up and after a few questions, we learn that one of them is from the home ward of my son’s companion who is currently serving a mission and also from the same stake as one of the main organisers of the reunion.

9 hours ago, askandanswer said:

For people who have been around in the church in the Philippines for a long time, it can be a really small world as illustrated by this story.

In January my wife and I attended a 30 year mission reunion. Not far from where the reunion was held is the office of the Cebu Mission. The current Mission President was a childhood friend, and a former counsellor to my BIL when he was a bishop so my wife decided to pay him a visit. We took with us one of my former missionary companions. It turns out that my former companion was also well acquainted with the Mission President because prior to being called as a Mission President (MP), the MP was an Area Authority who directed the recovery effort in Tacloban after Typhoon Haiyan. My former companion, who works for the church as a regional physical facilities manager was closely involved in the recovery effort and worked quite closely with the MP during that time. The other reason why we wanted to visit the MP was because my son’s closest church friend, from our ward, is currently serving a mission in Cebu, and it just so happened that his area included the location of the Mission Office and the location where the reunion was being held and we wanted to arrange to have lunch with him. So we go to the Mission Office and have a great visit. It turns out that the MP’s wife is acquainted with my former Home Teacher and now Stake President, as he had served part of his mission in her home town over 30 years ago. Then we learn that the MP’s daughter, who had returned from her mission only a few months ago had been living right next door to my former companion in her last area and they had worked together quite a bit. After a while the two Assistants to the President turn up and after a few questions, we learn that one of them is from the home ward of my son’s companion who is currently serving a mission and also from the same stake as one of the main organisers of the reunion.

Meanwhile in Florida, a young man from our ward who is my son's closest church friend is leaving for the MTC next week where he will be learning Cebuano because... HE GOT ASSIGNED TO THAT SAME CEBU MISSION!

How's that for small world?