Just the good things

Blossom76

On 3/20/2018 at 10:07 PM, Blossom76 said:

As most of you know I've been a serious investigator of the LDS faith.  While I have decided its not for me, I feel its important to point out all the good and beautiful things I learnt, and think everyone could learn from the LDS way of life.

Family Night - Having a dedicated night once a week for your family to be together is a great practice, one I certainly will be keeping.

Spiritual Connection - I really connect to and feel the spirit every time I pray now.  Coming from a catholic background that has very ritualistic prayers I never learnt how to really connect my heart to God, I will forever be grateful to the LDS church for teaching me how to do that, its the best feeling ever.

To be open to new ideas - Studying another faith really opens your eyes to another viewpoint, nothing makes you understand how crazy some of the things are in your own faith like looking at the crazy and unexplainable in another's.

Take your health seriously - this is such a great message of the LDS church, you only get one body, if you ruin it you'll have no where to live.  Taking care of yourself really is a spiritual thing.

I know there are heaps of other things I can't think of right now.  I'd love to hear from others.

Matthew 7: 15 - 20

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16  Ye shall know them by their fruits.  Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17  Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18  A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19  Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20  Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

2 hours ago, askandanswer said:

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16  Ye shall know them by their fruits.  Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17  Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18  A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19  Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

I JUST covered that in my Gospel Principles class last week.

5 hours ago, askandanswer said:

I completely agree with this scripture, its one the reasons I decided not to join the LDS church

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

Please explain.

False prophesies, stated as true in the name of God.

Please note this is not the direction I want this thread to go in, it is supposed to be about the positives of religion (all religion not just LDS), @askandanswer didn't give any explanation as to why he was quoting this scripture to me so I just explained what it meant to me, that's all.  

I meant no offence at all @Grunt, from what you said I'm guessing there is some sort of lesson taught by the LDS church about this scripture? (as there is in most christian churches, a very well known and often quoted scripture)

I like the focus on family the mormon people have and I think the world could learn a lot from the attitude of looking after your own, I think the mormons call it self reliance?

As far as my own religious beliefs I think the human race could learn from the strong focus on respect for, taking care of and having a spiritual connection with, the earth, the animals and nature in general.  

One thing I like is that scripture that is canonized is reliable, but we still are free to interpret it, looking at the scriptures as a whole, which takes a lifetime of study and we continue to gain insight.  I trust the scriptures.  I trust most of what prophets have said, but not all of them, and so "false prophecies" don't bother me, because the Lord in his infinite wisdom always seems to get it right, even when prophets don't.

1 hour ago, bytebear said:

One thing I like is that scripture that is canonized is reliable, but we still are free to interpret it, looking at the scriptures as a whole, which takes a lifetime of study and we continue to gain insight.  I trust the scriptures.  I trust most of what prophets have said, but not all of them, and so "false prophecies" don't bother me, because the Lord in his infinite wisdom always seems to get it right, even when prophets don't.

I trust the canonised scriptures above all else too :) 

6 minutes ago, bytebear said:

Well, if Jonah can run from the Lord, and Moses wander the wilderness for 40 years, I can give brother Joseph and Brigham a little slack.  ;)

LOL, and Noah got naked wasted!  When it comes to actually speaking in the name of God though, the scriptures are very clear.

4 hours ago, Misty said:

I like the focus on family the mormon people have and I think the world could learn a lot from the attitude of looking after your own, I think the mormons call it self reliance?

As far as my own religious beliefs I think the human race could learn from the strong focus on respect for, taking care of and having a spiritual connection with, the earth, the animals and nature in general.  

The family focus is my favourite thing about the LDS way of life too.

Your religious views are interesting, I like it, can I ask what religion you belong to?

10 minutes ago, Blossom76 said:

LOL, and Noah got naked wasted!  When it comes to actually speaking in the name of God though, the scriptures are very clear.

Well, yes, but I do think there are some caveats.   For example, when a prophecy has an implied condition (which is often the case).  Or when the NT apostles warned that Christ's return was any time now.  Any time.  And we're still waiting.  And I often read the NT in the spirit of Paul correcting the misunderstandings of Peter or John, misunderstandings by the listener, more than the errors of the apostles.   Or just opinion dictated as if it were doctrine.  Paul stating that women cannot speak in church or that they must wear a head covering.   Kind of like today when a prophet tells women to wear only one set of earrings, or that we shouldn't get tattoos.  Good advice, perhaps, but not an edict from on high at least not one binding to the eternities.

Edited by bytebear

6 minutes ago, Blossom76 said:

LOL, and Noah got naked wasted!  

I was 9 when I undertook a quest to read the Bible-cover-to-cover.  Needless to say, that chapter caught my attention-- no one in primary ever told me THAT story.  In fact, I quickly found a lot of stories that.... "dumb folks, we just went over this-- how come you can't remember anything for 2 chapters!  Like God miraculously feeds you-- and then you whine about it and complain you want something else to eat!  And... wow the nasty stuff that went on between family members...."   Needless to say, the Bible is an *extremely* rated R book.  

1 hour ago, bytebear said:

Well, yes, but I do think there are some caveats.   For example, when a prophecy has an implied condition (which is often the case).  Or when the NT apostles warned that Christ's return was any time now.  Any time.  And we're still waiting.  And I often read the NT in the spirit of Paul correcting the misunderstandings of Peter or John, misunderstandings by the listener, more than the errors of the apostles.   Or just opinion dictated as if it were doctrine.  Paul stating that women cannot speak in church or that they must wear a head covering.   Kind of like today when a prophet tells women to wear only one set of earrings, or that we shouldn't get tattoos.  Good advice, perhaps, but not an edict from on high at least not one binding to the eternities.

Agreed that is a problem (the apostles saying christ would return any time now) its a bigger problem for me that Jesus himself said it too.  It all comes down to how different people interpret scripture

5 hours ago, Blossom76 said:

Agreed that is a problem (the apostles saying christ would return any time now) its a bigger problem for me that Jesus himself said it too.  It all comes down to how different people interpret scripture

It also comes down to the concept of time to God, who exists in all time.  

On the subject of "false" prophecy..  When I got  a spiritual witness that the Book of Mormon IS true.  I also gained a witness that Joseph Smith WAS a prophet.  As I progressed by choosing to follow and live by what I knew I gained a witness that Joseph Smith IS a prophet.  (Note the tenses)

This caused me some struggle with the historical record of Joseph Smith.  There were three things that help me reconcile (Two of which have been mentioned)  1st was the account of other prophets in the scripture... their human weakness are well documented and that did not stop God from using them.  I had to allow for human weakness.  2nd was the timing issue which required me to adjust to the fact that God sees things differently then I do.  (These are the two already mentioned).  The third was promises that Joseph Smith would do something and then did not, and you know he is dead now and he did not do them.  This took a bit of struggle but then a witness happened.  It was a simple statement.  "Do you really think death can stop the promises of God?"  That turned everything on its head.  I know that Joseph Smith IS a prophet of God.  I know that God will fulfill every promise he had Joseph Smith make.  I do not know how some of them will happen, but I look forward to hopefully seeing them happen and understanding some day.