Inquiry: LDS Couples and Surrogates

Hi ,

I' currently looking to connect with couples who are seeking to conceive a child outside of their marriage with a surrogate using natural conception. I realize this is incredibly rare, however, I think communicating about it more openly is important to help those who feel that they might be alone, shunned or shamed in this journey. I work for a television production studio in Los Angeles, and right now we are simply seeking to discover individuals who could discuss this concept with us. Please email me at [email protected] with any leads, suggestions or thoughts. 

Thank you! 

Welcome, Ms. Becker!  

If by “natural conception” you mean . . . er . . . sex, Mormons would consider that sort of “surrogacy” (a man having relations with a woman not his wife) to be adulterous and therefore sinful per se.

If you mean surrogacy via implantation of a lab-fertilized embryo:  the LDS Church discourages that on practical grounds, but I don’t think it labels the practice “sinful” and I have heard of Mormons doing it.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

3 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Welcome, Ms. Becker!  

If by “natural conception” you mean . . . er . . . sex, Mormons would consider that sort of “surrogacy” to be adulterous and therefore sinful per se.

If you mean surrogacy via implantation of a lab-fertilized embryo:  the LDS Church discourages that on practical grounds, but I don’t think it labels the practice “sinful” and I have heard of Mormons doing it.

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies?lang=eng#214

FWIW

7 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

On  the condition that the man and woman involved are husband and wife.