Local teacher's union rejects thoughts and prayers

prisonchaplain

Our local teacher’s union is selling members shirts that explicitly reject “thoughts and prayers”—actually drawing a line through them—and demanding policy change. How sad that those I hand my children over to would consider one of my most primary acts of spiritual devotion to somehow stand in hostile opposition to their favored government action. #Muslims, #Jews, #Christians —all people of earnest #faith —really all of #goodwill, let’s stop for a moment and say, “No!” When government and #secularfundamentalists get together to weaponize acts of religious devotion, history tells us the end is always bad. Have your political debates about guns, taxes, the environment—just do not try to label and demonize your neighbors, who happen to believe #Godstillloves and #Godintervenes.

It is upsetting, but at the same time they don't really have the power to reject our thoughts and prayers anyways. Luke 6:27-28 comes to mind

"27 ¶ But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
          28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you"

Since we are commanded to pray even for those who treat us badly, I'm under the impression the Lord can bless them even when they loudly claim they don't want any blessings. To me it is the same as when a parent still puts a roof over the head of, and provides dinner for, an angry and recalcitrant teenager.

@Godless so much more effective, and less offensive--yet still with the edge they wanted. I fear some of these folks really have pigeon-holed faith communities (alright, mostly Evangelical Christians of the white Republican sort) as their opponents, and just chose to go for the jugular. Still, a little more thought, and they could have come up with what you gave us.

The newest salvo is an attack on "18th century laws for 21st century weapons." Well, sure, let's just throw the U.S. Constitution under the bus, since it too is in the way to an immediate, feel-good law, that may nip around the edges of the problem.

Edited by prisonchaplain

4 hours ago, Godless said:

IMG_20180325_101346.jpg

I get the point of what these people are saying, but by the same logic, what if the killer was the answer to our thoughts and prayers?  What if the purpose of the killer was for people to realize how short life can be and to repent of their sins?  And then the devil comes around to distract from that by having people focus on the kids?  If they are going to try and make that point, it easily comes full circle and can be used in nearly any way.

The purpose of thoughts and prayers are to help people seek and feel peace and accept the will of God, and recognize there is much more than just this life.  It is intended as a reminder of the eternities and that we will be petitioning God on your behalf the help you mentally and emotionally.  Thoughts and prayers are generally not intended to actually accomplish something.  Sometimes God will answer them in those types of ways, but that is not generally the intent.

Obviously, for a people who reject God more and more, it is meaningless, but to the faithful and humble, it is a blessing in itself.

Sometimes bad things happen and people should not always expect to be able to do something about it.

Just as FYI, the "thoughts" part of "thoughts and prayers" was a nod to the non-theists. Many people are not specifically religious. They may be spiritual, or may even just believe in putting out "positive energy." So, the dismissal of "thoughts and prayers," felt like a religious slight to me. However, it was broader. The point was pretty much to say that if a particular politician (especially), or other individual, refused to embrace gun control solutions, then their "thoughts and prayers" were worthless. In essence, anyone who disagreed with the solutions proposed was summarily dismissed.  I've often droned on about the loss of any sense of "loyal opposition," in our society. Policy opponents are no longer perceived as naïve or foolish, or just mistaken. They are evil, and must be opposed at every level, and given no reprieve or comfort. Thus, we have today's most ugly political/ideological environment.

7 hours ago, Godless said:

IMG_20180325_101346.jpg

I believe the point of this meme is that "these kids" are the survivors, who's testimonies of trauma, and calls to increase gun control might be God's answer to us. Such a meme is still controversial, but at least it's not immediately dismissive of the good intentions of others--especially those of us who do so strongly value prayer. Like I said, it's edgy, but not anti-religious.

Guest Godless
4 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

I believe the point of this meme is that "these kids" are the survivors, who's testimonies of trauma, and calls to increase gun control might be God's answer to us. Such a meme is still controversial, but at least it's not immediately dismissive of the good intentions of others--especially those of us who do so strongly value prayer. Like I said, it's edgy, but not anti-religious.

Agreed, and I think it drives home the point that perhaps those who turn to prayer in times of tragedy should be prepared for the possibility that the answer to those prayers may not fit neatly into their worldview.

12 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

The newest salvo is an attack on "18th century laws for 21st century weapons." 

Pretty sure the founding fathers never imagined the internet or Facebook, either.  

As for the necessity of listening to the children:  Sometimes children are just stupid.  Example:  

By the way, if you're wondering who the old guy is at 1:40:  That old guy is you.  

I've been trying to tell people this, but it's not what anyone wants to hear right now. 

So long as kids continue to be bullied and ostracized through no fault of their own. 

So long as administrators continue to care more about their jobs than their schools. 

So long as the curriculum doesn't teach real character and real class. 

So long as there's fame to be had in opening fire. 

So long as parents continue to ignore their children. 

So long as law enforcement doesn't take warnings seriously. 

So long as campuses aren't secure. 

So long as mental illness, radicalization, and other issues are ignored. 

So long as all of the above continue to happen, you can confiscate all the guns in the world and we'll still have dead kids. It's the culture and the mindset that pushes people over the edge, not the weapon itself. Even a properly-sharpened #2 pencil can do horrific damage to the human body, after all. 

1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Pretty sure the founding fathers never imagined the internet or Facebook, either.

Not relevant to the Second Amendment, though; automatic weapons were around years before it was ratified.  Prohibitively expensive, but they'd already seen plenty of evidence that manufacturing processes could improve and drop prices dramatically.

6 hours ago, NightSG said:

Not relevant to the Second Amendment, though; automatic weapons were around years before it was ratified.  Prohibitively expensive, but they'd already seen plenty of evidence that manufacturing processes could improve and drop prices dramatically.

Yeah, I was trying to draw an analogy with the First Amendment. ;)