Open house and dedication dates announced for Rome Italy Temple

pam

SALT LAKE CITY — Nearly a decade after its gasp-inducing public announcement, the LDS Church’s Rome Italy Temple is approaching its proverbial finish line, with the faith’s First Presidency announcing dates Thursday morning for its open house and dedication for early 2019.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900014226/open-house-and-dedication-dates-announced-for-rome-italy-lds-temple.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2018 at 4:37 AM, Vort said:

I am using all my ample excess money to secure plane tickets even as we speak.

*sigh* Wouldn't it be nice?

@Vort, surely it would be good for you to go. If you're a little short of funds, just ask @pam. She works for a multi-national ICT business whose only purpose is to do more good. 

25 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

@Vort, surely it would be good for you to go. If you're a little short of funds, just ask @pam. She works for a multi-national ICT business whose only purpose is to do more good. 

Only when I benefit.  :P

All @Vort needs to do is rent out a very modest size cardboard box.  Anywhere east of Lake Washington will do.  With Seattle's housing market, 2 months of him collecting rent should easily pay for half of MormonHub to visit Rome.  Assuming, of course, that King County doesn't bankrupt him with property tax increases for the cardboard box improvement to his property and/or give him a heart attack first. :) 

If you search you can find great deals on flights.  Norwegian Air had terrific deals last year. And if I remember correctly, it seems like hotel prices were reasonable. I can’t remember what we paid for our bed and breakfast in October.  But, it wasn’t too expensive.

11 hours ago, lostinwater said:

All @Vort needs to do is rent out a very modest size cardboard box.  Anywhere east of Lake Washington will do.  With Seattle's housing market, 2 months of him collecting rent should easily pay for half of MormonHub to visit Rome.  Assuming, of course, that King County doesn't bankrupt him with property tax increases for the cardboard box improvement to his property and/or give him a heart attack first. :) 

You might be on to something here. I'm pretty sure that's how the houseboats started.

My old boss was sort of a lukewarm Mormon who had gone on his mission to Italy in his youth.  He got himself an Italian bride and they later divorced.  The happiest I ever saw him, was after work one day, he was yelling in Italian on the phone with his ex-wife. He hung up and said something about how he really missed that.  These days I can't follow his Facebook page because of how his current wife is always dressed.

(Hey, if we can go from a Temple in Rome to Vort living in a box, it's hardly a bigger jump to my story.)

9 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

My old boss was sort of a lukewarm Mormon who had gone on his mission to Italy in his youth.  He got himself an Italian bride and they later divorced.  The happiest I ever saw him, was after work one day, he was yelling in Italian on the phone with his ex-wife. He hung up and said something about how he really missed that.  These days I can't follow his Facebook page because of how his current wife is always dressed.

(Hey, if we can go from a Temple in Rome to Vort living in a box, it's hardly a bigger jump to my story.)

Maria (sp?) Osmond remarried her first husband. Liz and Richard Burton married twice. I have met people who remarried after divorce!   

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Ugh - i can't even get my jokes right!

You'd have to understand property taxes in King County up here.  They really *would* consider increasing your property taxes for having an elaborate shelter made from cardboard - if they thought a HOA had seen and approved of it first....

And if you doubt the efficacy of cardboard and pallets, you need to walk around the Space Needle and see some of the incredible structures those experiencing homelessness have going.  

And Vort wouldn't be living in a box - just renting one out for someone else to live in.  Box living is something only the hicks like me who are south of Seattle have to do. :) 

• 9 months later...