After All We Can Do

Our Preisthood lesson this past Sunday was on the talk given by Elder Claudio D. Zivic "After All We Can Do". The teacher went on to talking about how we are as a quorum. One question he asked stood out in my mind. He asked "Look around the room. Who here would we consider our friends? Who would we know we could call on in our darkest hour for guidance or help?" I am new to the ward, so I have no real friends yet. But it got me thinking. I came to the conclusion that we can call on ANY of our Quorum, but WOULD we? I would like your thoughts as to whether you would or would not and why or why not. Here is the link to the talk.

After All We Can Do

You know, I think we too often do not call upon the LORD's anointed. A man I know lives very comfortably with his wife and an adopted child. He has worked for years for a major company and his wife runs a small family business. He was recently laid off. He received a severance package. However, he was asked not to work for some time before his lay-off became final. He would have to begin selling family items or parts of the new family business to make monthly ends. He went to the brethren and received help.

This caused me to wonder at what point we are to go to the Elder's Quorum President with our issues. When do we make the call? There is a part of us that says: 'You must be in dire need before you contact them.' We imagine that Church resources are too sacred, the brethren's time to valuable, and our burdens too insignificant. The truth is, as a Home Teacher, we should be aware of any issues a family is facing and we should remember that we are servants of that Master who has in His possession every resource in existance and who also knows every tiny matter no matter how seemingly insignificant.

There is a tendency for us to call on the world, to call on the governement, to call on a loan officer, to call on everyone but the LORD until all is diminished. It is as if the LORD is only our last resort. The truth is, He is our ONLY resort!

-a-train

I agree. I haven't had a Preisthood Blessing in about 20 years. I haven't thought that I couldn't handle what I was going through myself. My father has had 2 operations in the past year and always asks for a Blessing. I think that we all need to be more open to recieving help from others. One person in class said "let other serve us so that THEY can recive the blessings as well, if we don't ask for help, we are denying them the blessings of serving." I love it when my Dad asks for a blessing, because I get blessed by helping him.

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps we need to be more willing as Priesthood holders to ask our brethren for blessings. Serving in such a way blesses them, and we may gain more insights and strength for ourselves. Canuck, I think you hit it on the head:

I haven't thought that I couldn't handle what I was going through myself.

That feeling seems common. We are taught to be independent in many things. But seeking the blessings of the Lord under the hands of his servants is not a sign of weakness or an indication that we can't handle something. It is a sign of faith and desire to receive additional strength.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't feel i can call on people for help in my quorum.

We are new to my ward. I asked them to help me move in, but my new EQP/ boss at place of employment gossiped about us along with his wife, and we have a bad rap...we moved in alone.

We are borderline apostate..according to our new ward. (oddly enough, because I visit this site)

No biggie really. I make sure that people know they can expect me to help in priesthood, i try and kill 'em with kindness. I still love 'em, it's just hard to not have friends at church.

/shrug..i would appreciate a little cheese with my whine!!! lol

<div class='quotemain'>

it's just hard to not have friends at church.

That is true. I have a friend who was recently baptized, but is in a different ward than me. I find him asking me to come to church with him because he doesnt know anyone else. :dontknow:

I have heard that many times...I have also told people in our ward that if I had been baptized into the church at this ward, I probably would be inactive by now. That is sad to say, but everyone seems too occupied with other things than to even do the basics. Our ward's home teaching reports got down to 12%... :blush: It is much better now, but still isn't spectacular.

When I was introduced to the church, the ward that I was in showered us with attention and help that all new members should be blessed to receive. We were not left alone for any length of time...we received secret Santa gifts, people would ask us to always go places with them, we were spoiled. Coming into the church can be an uneasy thing for most...you have a bunch of new terms to learn, where to take your kids if you got 'em. Lots of things.

But what I have seen about asking for assistance or not asking has to do with pride in most cases. I have a family that I home teach that I have found out through a mutual acquaintance that could use some help with things, but when we visit for home teaching and ask if there is anything they stand in need of, the answer is always no. When I confronted him, he said everything was fine now, but its not...its sad.

• 3 weeks later...

Me and my wife moved into our ward in July. People were very nice, coming up and introducing themselves, saying that they should have us over for dinner, that sort of thing. We are slowly getting to know everyone in the ward, but we still feel like outsiders. The ward is very different from either of our previous wards, so we are also adjusting. I'm still not sure if I could call on anyone in the ward for help, if needed. We'll see how the next few months go.

• 1 month later...

I live in a very fast growing community and my ward has been split twice already in the last 8 years so I'm in yet a new ward. I have made friends quickly and fortunately where I live everyone is friendly and compassionate. I would not hesitated to call my Elders Quorum President or my new home teacher. Likewise I would be willing to help anyone at the drop of a hat who called me. I think this is how it should be everywhere.

. . . We are borderline apostate..according to our new ward. (oddly enough, because I visit this site) . . .

Me too! and I'm even a BYU fan. The cheek of these people. I however get along alright with my elders quorum (the RS pretends I do not exist).

I cherish the blessing on my head, to my family, to my friends, and to my soul from the members of the PH in my community, work, and life (even the ding-dongs at work and church who think I'm just a little to radical to be LDS).

Aaron the Ogre

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard that many times...I have also told people in our ward that if I had been baptized into the church at this ward, I probably would be inactive by now. That is sad to say, but everyone seems too occupied with other things than to even do the basics. Our ward's home teaching reports got down to 12%... :blush: It is much better now, but still isn't spectacular.

Our HT recently jumped to an all time high of some 70%. How did they do it you ask? By taking the names of those who do not DO their home teaching completely off the list and rearranging the list for only those that do go with ACTIVE families. How LAME is that? We had a doosey of a meeting when the EQ found out about what they did to get numbers up. Grab a black bag and a bat Brothers...cause someone needs a flogging for that stupid idea. What the heck?

Grrrrr Be so grateful if you are in a ward that is run by competent priesthood holders... This is the second ward that I have wanted to toss someone off a bridge in. The church is true and the Gospel is soooo right but there are some real winners in the world...even in the church. Oh well... it takes all kinds.

• 5 months later...
Hidden

Our HT recently jumped to an all time high of some 70%. How did they do it you ask? By taking the names of those who do not DO their home teaching completely off the list and rearranging the list for only those that do go with ACTIVE families. How LAME is that? We had a doosey of a meeting when the EQ found out about what they did to get numbers up. Grab a black bag and a bat Brothers...cause someone needs a flogging for that stupid idea. What the heck?

Grrrrr Be so grateful if you are in a ward that is run by competent priesthood holders... This is the second ward that I have wanted to toss someone off a bridge in. The church is true and the Gospel is soooo right but there are some real winners in the world...even in the church. Oh well... it takes all kinds.

wow all this coming from a guy that never did his HT. now we know the truth about yourself and you my friend should have taken the jump off the bridge. you would save the tax payers of the state of Idaho a lot of money not having to provide you with the internet to do your blog and have to feed your over weight rear end...

what gets me as how you can sit in a room full of men that honor there priesthood and call them incompetent? That coming from a guy that took advantage of his own little girls and molested them for years and then brain washed them to thinking that it was right!