New Policy:Two adults at activities

Sunday21

In the "Preventing and Responding to Abuse" document accompanying the letter, the bullet point before the one you quoted states: "When adults are teaching children or youth in church settings, at least two responsible adults should be present." If the statement you quoted does not apply to Sunday classes, then this statement pretty clearly does. Rather than "must" they use "should" in this case, so perhaps they are less worried about "classes" than "activities", so that units can individually decide if they really want to implement this in classes or not.

Personally -- and maybe it is because I am a man and discussion is always about men as perps so I am becoming a little paranoid -- I don't want the option of teaching solo. I want protection for myself.

Guest MormonGator
13 minutes ago, MrShorty said:

. I want protection for myself.

Yup, same here. The two months I was cub scout leader I demanded that two people were always there whenever we taught anything-my wife and some other person. It's nothing to do with church policies, it's common sense on my part. Personally, I'd like a rule that says 4+ adults in the room while all activities are video taped and recorded. Therefore, allegations of abuse will basically be null and void unless they really did happen! 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest LiterateParakeet
6 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

From the new policy : "At least two adults must be present on all church-sponsored activities attended by youth or children."

Do we think that activities includes classes?

For sometime it has been the policy in Primary that if the teacher is male that there must be two.   That is both a protection for the children and for the male against false accusations.   I'm fine with it being extended to women also.  

Guest LiterateParakeet
5 hours ago, MrShorty said:

Personally -- and maybe it is because I am a man and discussion is always about men as perps so I am becoming a little paranoid -- I don't want the option of teaching solo. I want protection for myself.

I don't blame you.  I agree that the protection is for the men also.   I don't want any of the fine, righteous men I know to face false accusations.    I think your attitude will go a long way toward protecting you.  For example, there is a brother in my ward who is always involved with kids in some way or another.  Since sexual predators often find ways to be around children, for a hundredth of a second I wondered if this man could be a predator.  

Why did I only wonder for a hundredth of a second?  Because I had observed that he was ALWAYS careful to have two-deep leadership when he was with kids.  Predators don't do that.  He is simply a good man that enjoys working with kids and youth.  

6 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Do we think that activities includes classes?

Yes, if I'm reading the release correctly. It states:

•  When adults are teaching children or youth
in Church settings, at least two responsible
adults should be present. The two adults could
be two men, two women, or a married couple
(see Handbook 2: Administering the Church
[2010], 11.8.1). Where it may not be practical to
have at least two adults in a classroom, leaders
should consider combining classes.

Edited by NeedleinA

Guest LiterateParakeet

I think this policy is wonderful.   For any who think the MTC president was an isolated case....the last one is a story from this week. 

Database

Lawsuit: Mormon Boys Molested at Maui Pineapple Farms

Outcry as Utah Judge Calls Mormon Bishop Who Raped Girl "A Good Man"

Sexual Abuse Case againat Mormon Church Begins in West Virginia

Ex-Bishop - Prison Sex Abuse

Another Bishop - Sex abuse

Mormon Youth Leader - Sex Abuse

Seminary Principle gets time for abusing a student

Church pays $3 Millions to Settle Sexual Abuse Case

Native Americans - Sexual Abuse Lawsuit against the Church

Church Statement about Joseph Bishop 0 MTC President

Primary teacher

1 hour ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I think this policy is wonderful.   For any who think the MTC president was an isolated case....the last one is a story from this week. 

Database

Lawsuit: Mormon Boys Molested at Maui Pineapple Farms

Outcry as Utah Judge Calls Mormon Bishop Who Raped Girl "A Good Man"

Sexual Abuse Case againat Mormon Church Begins in West Virginia

Ex-Bishop - Prison Sex Abuse

Another Bishop - Sex abuse

Mormon Youth Leader - Sex Abuse

Seminary Principle gets time for abusing a student

Church pays $3 Millions to Settle Sexual Abuse Case

Native Americans - Sexual Abuse Lawsuit against the Church

Church Statement about Joseph Bishop 0 MTC President

Primary teacher

Okay @LiterateParakeet  You just invoked the challenge I gave you here https://mormonhub.com/forums/topic/64368-the-mtc-abuse-story/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-961213

It is true that one is too many.

It is also true that, statistically speaking, this almost never happens.  Estradling's challenge is relevant.  LP's dozen examples are important.  But yeah, in a church of almost 16 million, of over 30,000 congregations, this almost never happens.  

Again, it is true that more than zero, is too many.
Again, it is true that this almost never happens.
Both of these things are true, at the same time.  If one cannot hold both of those truths in their head at the same time, one is having a problem that one should resolve, because one is in the wrong and shutting themselves off from truth, and there's no good reason for that.

Perspective is important.  Truth matters.  Accurate understanding of issues are critical if one is to be of any use in addressing them.

4 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

My response is - See Neurotypical's post above.  

Had your post shown the same balance as Neurotypical's then I would not have felt mine was needed.  The simple fact is the membership of the forum repeatedly talk about such issues, and the Church's new and adjusting policies toward them.  Thus showing a great deal of awareness about the problem