Group Texts for Reporting VT

seashmore

Anyone else's Relief Society send out group texts asking for reports on that month's visiting teaching?
I do, and I have opinions!

Group texts in general are a lousy way to have a conversation. They're great for announcements ("the activity is cancelled due to weather") but not correspondence ("who all is going to the activity?").  There are too many people who manage to "reply all." I don't think some people realize they are doing this, and/or can't figure out how to turn it off.  Or maybe they've upgraded and didn't realize they needed to do it again.  Should I ever find it necessary to respond to the sender, I open a brand new text and address it to the individual.  My YW complain about group texts and chats from their peers so often that I've stuck to my promise to not send them, and I prove it by addressing them individually.  At any rate, there is currently no possible way (on my phone, anyway) to block the receipt of messages sent to multiple numbers.  Oh, that there were!

So, I don't like group texts in general.  But I have particular beef with using them to obtain VT reports, mostly because reporting VT can sometimes involve sensitive information, they very kind that should NOT be sent through group texts. 

I have explicitly instructed the VTDSs that if they use text messaging to request reports, they are to send separate text messages to each companionship - to send one message to all companionships risks disclosing confidential information to people who ought not to have it.

Some of the people in my area will not respond to anything but text messages or being cornered at church, so using text messages to request the info is pretty much a given.  And I've found that if I text the companionship around 10am on a weekday, that I'm more likely to get a same-day response than if I use any other method (except asking in person).

6 hours ago, zil said:

I have explicitly instructed the VTDSs that if they use text messaging to request reports, they are to send separate text messages to each companionship - to send one message to all companionships risks disclosing confidential information to people who ought not to have it.

Some of the people in my area will not respond to anything but text messages or being cornered at church, so using text messages to request the info is pretty much a given.  And I've found that if I text the companionship around 10am on a weekday, that I'm more likely to get a same-day response than if I use any other method (except asking in person).

Yes, but apparently people are too lazy to follow that simple instruction.

So most supervisors send a group text or email expecting that a private message or email be returned.  Unfortunately, most people using technology today don't know how to do that.  So, everyone gets to know...

7 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Yes, but apparently people are too lazy to follow that simple instruction.

So most supervisors send a group text or email expecting that a private message or email be returned.  Unfortunately, most people using technology today don't know how to do that.  So, everyone gets to know...

I'm so glad you said this. I was thinking it too, so I'm sending you a great big "thank you". I opted to send a PM instead of a post because I don't want @zil to think I'm calling her relief society lazy and stupid. I mean, how difficult is it to NOT include everyone!? 

Zil would probably never get a report from me.  I rarely use my phone and I hate texting with a passion.  I make exceptions but I don't respond usually to text messages.