Melchizedek priesthood quorums

3 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

I just got released from my calling! (Elders Quorum counselor) First time an announcement over the pulpit at conference has so directly affected me lol.

I think they directed Stake Presidents to release you. So probably not quite yet.

13 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Oh, that's decidedly not very earthshaking.

All things are relative. It's a pretty big change. It's not just a meet together. It's a total restructure. HP groups are disbanded. HP quorums are now Stake Presidencies, Bishoprics, High Councilors, and Patriarchs. Everyone else belongs to the EQ quorum now.

4 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I think they directed Stake Presidents to release you. So probably not quite yet.

Sure, it's got too trickle down through the local leaders, and I may get called right back to the same calling (something I don't mind). Just a tad more personal than the usual announcement☺

59 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I wonder what'll happen in larger stakes where it takes a few weeks to organize some ward's EQ presidencies. Business as usual?

My take is that effectively HP groups are dissolved and all HP meet with existing EQ with existing EQ presidencies intact until formal changes will be made.

In wards where more than one EQ exist, there will be either a "choose your own quorum" or a geographic assignment until official reorganization can occur.

All home teaching assignments will remain until formal changes in the coming months.

The two things this really affects are: home teaching stewardship and the HP annual fireside/quorum meeting.  No more visits from the Seventies for ALL stake HP?

Then, what we were discussing the other day: What happens when all three members of the bishopric are gone one Sunday?

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Then, what we were discussing the other day: What happens when all three members of the bishopric are gone one Sunday?

I was just thinking of that as well.  Would it just be the most senior HP?  Or a HP that is part of the EQP?  Because D&C hasn't changed and still indicates it to be a HP to preside in absence of the bishopric.  I am curious about the answer to this as well.

Edited by person0

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Jane_Doe said:

Oh, that's decidedly not very earthshaking.

It's a pretty big change, I think. I'm no expert, but this means total restructuring for all High Priesthood groups. 

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

It's a pretty big change, I think. I'm no expert, but this means total restructuring for all High Priesthood groups. 

Yeah, my current calling now no longer exists all of a sudden.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, person0 said:

Yeah, my current calling now no longer exists all of a sudden.

It's going to be hard on a lot of people who enjoyed the previous situation. Change is tough sometimes. 

59 minutes ago, person0 said:

I was just thinking of that as well.  Would it just be the most senior HP?  Or a HP that is part of the EQP?  Because D&C hasn't changed and still indicates it to be a HP to preside in absence of the bishopric.  I am curious about the answer to this as well.

First HP to wake up when you yell at them.

1 hour ago, person0 said:

Any fool in the ward can run a meeting, but a sacrament meeting has to be under the direction of someone who holds keys for that (the sacrament is an authorized ordinance). So, as a practical matter, it's whoever the bishop (or stake president) calls upon to run the meeting in his absence. They can be selected based on office, tenure, capability or whatever, but they must be selected by a keyholder.

2 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Any fool in the ward can run a meeting

The one running the meeting and the one presiding are two completely different things.  The way I understand the scriptures, as of right now if a HP is present, they must preside, even if they are not the one conducting the meeting.

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

Yeah, I'm getting the ramifications now.  At first I mistakeningly thought it was they were just meeting together for 3rd hour, which wasn't that huge of a deal.  The complete reconstruction of things is a big deal.  

2 hours ago, NightSG said:

I think the goal is to slowly pull everybody into one meeting, then announce that they're eliminating that one too and Sacrament Meeting will extend to fill the time. 

Longer sacrament because 1 hr and 15 min of screaming crying kids isn't enough. My current ward.....oh so loud I don't even bother to pay attention any  more. Can't hear.