NO MORE HOME/VISITING TEACHING!

skippy740

9 hours ago, person0 said:

The new system is still 'return and report'.  Under the new system, quorum presidencies will be required to report if they have had a 'Ministering Interview' so to speak with each home teacher/companionship.  So the individual home teacher is still going to be required to report face to face to a quorum leader, and the quorum leader will be required to report that the face to face interview actually occurred.  I imagine that if quorum presidencies fulfill their duty, this will be even more than previous, because now each minister will be asked to give an account of their assigned families during the meeting.  Of course they could lie, I suppose.

Edit:  With the exception that we still have used the normal HT reporting system, my (now disbanded) HPG has essentially been following the new program for nearly a year already.  In terms of my personal HT efforts, almost nothing will change other than the fact that I will be released from my calling and may end up reporting only and not having others report to me for interviews.

It's my understanding (from my brother) that this kind of interview was supposed to be happening all along for the men - in the form of PPIs.  But this will be new to the women and I fear the response.  Annual VT interviews were the norm for the sisters, and almost no one would show up - regular interviews with RS leadership is not someone women expect - they expect interviews with the priesthood (bishop, SP), but not with the RS leadership.

As for the flexibility, by my interpretation, it's been there all along (or at least for several years) in VTing, but people found the monthly lesson an easier approach - it's what people were used to.  So the "oh this is great" and "we're free to do things differently" strike me as ironic - for the women, anyway.

On a more mechanical note, the software still has "district supervisors", but I can't for the life of me figure out what they would do.  I could make up useful stuff, but there's no mention of the calling in the new information.  I suspect RS will change to how the men typically handle it (again, per my brother), with one district for each member of the presidency, or something.

Guest LiterateParakeet
22 minutes ago, zil said:

It's my understanding (from my brother) that this kind of interview was supposed to be happening all along for the men - in the form of PPIs.  But this will be new to the women and I fear the response.  Annual VT interviews were the norm for the sisters, and almost no one would show up - regular interviews with RS leadership is not someone women expect - they expect interviews with the priesthood (bishop, SP), but not with the RS leadership.

You're right.  I think I've only done VTing interview once or twice in my life...that means I missed more than a few.  I will repent and do better with the new program. 

26 minutes ago, zil said:

On a more mechanical note, the software still has "district supervisors", but I can't for the life of me figure out what they would do.

Given that an Elder's Quorum can contain up to 96 elders, I would assume the district supervisors would be the ones conducting and recording the interviews.  Perhaps it will just be a division among members of the EQP, but either way I'm sure we'll find out soon!

28 minutes ago, zil said:

It's my understanding (from my brother) that this kind of interview was supposed to be happening all along for the men - in the form of PPIs.

Yup.

2 minutes ago, person0 said:

Given that an Elder's Quorum can contain up to 96 elders, I would assume the district supervisors would be the ones conducting and recording the interviews.  Perhaps it will just be a division among members of the EQP, but either way I'm sure we'll find out soon!

Hmm.  While the FAQ I linked earlier leaves some room for doubt, it seems the implication is that the presidency members do the interviews.  (They use "leaders" a lot.  While one could theorize that "district supervisors" are "leaders", I suspect they mean "presidency members".)

16 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

The way I understood it is that you will still be asked to "home teach" but they are asking us to step up. Rather than visiting (or not visiting) to check a box, or give a report---but to lengthen our stride to learn to truly love and serve. 

Instead of making one obligatory visit per month we will prayerfully consider how to serve each month. They are trying to prepare us to be the kind of Christlike people who can receive the Lord when he comes. 

I am celebrating!  What a wonderful charge! 

My understanding is that it's not tied to a time-period... it doesn't limit/require a service action each month.  Rather, it is true fellowshipping - trying to be involved in the sister's life.

16 hours ago, skippy740 said:

It'll still be a form of "planned and assigned friendship" in one form or another.  :)

This is also improved.  Assignments are not given like it was before - just handing out a piece of paper and that's that.  Rather, the assignments are assigned on a personal basis - which, I understand to be a discussion on whether the assignment is going to be a good fit for everybody involved.

Guest MormonGator
17 hours ago, estradling75 said:

I predict that those who wouldn't make Home or Visiting teaching work will not make Ministering work either.

My thoughts as well. If you don't show up to do your VT/HT, a change (even a massive one) in how it operates won't really do much. 

1 hour ago, zil said:

It's my understanding (from my brother) that this kind of interview was supposed to be happening all along for the men - in the form of PPIs. 

Indeed, this was supposed to happen all along.  But of those wards where I had a long track record, I believe about 20% to 30% actually had such interviews go into home teaching stewardship.  It was mostly about how I and my family were doing.  I don't think this was emphasized enough in the wards I've been in.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

which, I understand to be a discussion on whether the assignment is going to be a good fit for everybody involved.

This is supposed to be how it was done before.  However, I am not sure this is entirely possible.  I am wondering about how we will handle the vast number of families that are inactive and would not be assigned a minister.  I can't imagine it will be much more effective, just that it will possibly be less stressful since we can reach out in many ways.  For some reason, going to the homes of inactive members gives me an annoying degree of anxiety, then again, so did tracting.  I kind of see it as one an the same, you never know what you're going to get, except that these people once had the truth and quit for some reason.  I imagine this will give people like me the freedom to feel more comfortable writing letters, or using other forms of communication rather than making the obligatory knock on the door each month.

Edited by person0

16 minutes ago, person0 said:

This is supposed to be how it was done before.  However, I am not sure this is entirely possible.  I am wondering about how we will handle the vast number of families that are inactive and would not be assigned a minister.  I can't imagine it will be much more effective, just that it will possibly be less stressful since we can reach out in many ways.  For some reason, going to the homes of inactive members gives me an annoying degree of anxiety, then again, so did tracting.  I kind of see it as one an the same, you never know what you're going to get, except that these people once had the truth and quit for some reason.  I imagine this will give people like me the freedom to feel more comfortable writing letters, or using other forms of communication rather than making the obligatory knock on the door each month.

I have an inactive person in my route for a long time... I'd say close to 10 years.  I used to knock on her door in the early days.  Then she told me she doesn't want me to visit anymore so I asked her if she's ok with a letter.  She didn't say no (although she didn't say yes either, she just shrugged her shoulders), so I sent her letters.  I did that for years and years.  My monthly VT report only says Sister A - visited, Sister B - phone call, Sister C - letter,  Sister D - facebook post, Sister E - none etc. etc.  I leave it to my VT Supervisors whether they count it as a visit or not.  She finally got removed from my list a couple years ago.  She didn't get assigned to anybody else (I asked) but nobody knows why.

Speaking personally- I have (or had) great teachers, and bad ones.

BAD EXAMPLE -- my home teachers for the last 15 years.  Most of the time I don't even know if I had HT.  I remember on time, when they did show up: it was Dec 31, 9 PM.  I heard a doorbell rang, and this guy I did not recognize was there and said "Hi, I'm your home teacher, here's some cookies."  I was ecstatic --- I had a home teacher!!  I welcomed him in, offered hot chocolate, and was positively jumping for joy.  He said "oh no thank you- my car's still running."  And off he went, never to be seen again.  

GOOD EXAMPLE--- My VT teachers of the last 4 years.   Have I had a formal lesson from them in the 4 years they've served me?  .... ummm... maybe once....      Do they visit me together?  .... .... ummm... maybe once.....   Have they always visited me at my home?  Nope.  One of them visited my home once, the other has never been here at all.   Do they (or one of them) visit me every month?  Nope.  We chat maybe every 2 or 3 months.

Are both of them there the second I need something-- absolutely!   Do they have my back and care for me as a person-- absolutely!   Have they mourned with me when I am mourning- absolutely.  I'm thinking of one week in RS when my life was miserable and I just cried on her shoulder... for the entire hour.  How she was there for me then and checked on me many times after then.   Have they helped my testimony of Christ grow?  In an unreplacable way.  Like the entire reason I feel welcomed at the temple is due to the efforts of one my VT's, and how she stood up for me when I couldn't and inquired of something on my behalf.  

18 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

@person0, I forgot to mention an important thing - I don't have a VT companion.  I run solo because of my work schedule.  So, I don't have to consult somebody about how I contact the sisters in my stewardship.

I also don't have a companion. I simply have felt an internal obligation to try to knock on the door before sending a letter.  In my case, these people never answered the door to say they didn't want me to come.  Now the new plan inherently entails additional freedom to reach out as would be appropriate to the ministers and the person being ministered to.

Also, interestingly, a spouse can now officially be a ministering companion.

18 minutes ago, person0 said:

That's been in place, just not preferred unless there's a good reason for it, for as long as I can remember (which may not be longer than a couple years).

9 minutes ago, zil said:

That's been in place, just not preferred unless there's a good reason for it, for as long as I can remember (which may not be longer than a couple years).

Many of the changes implemented now were de-facto operations before because the flexibility was needed.  Now it is also officially encouraged.  

3 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

BAD EXAMPLE -- my home teachers for the last 15 years.  Most of the time I don't even know if I had HT.  I remember on time, when they did show up: it was Dec 31, 9 PM.  I heard a doorbell rang, and this guy I did not recognize was there and said "Hi, I'm your home teacher, here's some cookies."  I was ecstatic --- I had a home teacher!!  I welcomed him in, offered hot chocolate, and was positively jumping for joy.  He said "oh no thank you- my car's still running."  And off he went, never to be seen again.

He moved to Texas, apparently.  And went to a 10PM delivery schedule.

Good cookies, though.

Guest MormonGator
36 minutes ago, person0 said:

I think it's a great idea and a great new program. It'll hopefully  keep people active in the church and give it a chance to build relationships with some substance to them. HT/VT could sometimes (key word, sometimes) seem more "official" and not genuine.  This is a great change. I look forward to seeing how it'll play out. 

6 hours ago, zil said:

Indeed it was. In the elders quorum presidencies and the high priests group leadership I served in, we strove to do at least quarterly interviews with the home teachers. We didn't always follow through, but we usually did -- and with good results. There was a period of six or eight months when we had 100% home teaching as a quorum (excluding DNCs and those who could not be assigned home teachers). And it wasn't just bean counting; there was some increased activation and quorum unity in that time period.

I was in a quorum or group leadership position of some sort for a grand total of maybe four years. During that time, I surely did more PPIs with my home teaching districts than I have ever had done with me during my entire lifetime. I'm not bragging about myself, because I was just a counselor or assistant, but I suppose I am bragging about my quorum presidents and group leader. At least as far as home teaching goes, those men caught the vision and tried to execute on it.

I have hope that the new program of ministering will somehow capture the minds and hearts of the Saints (myself included) and inspire us to greater heights. I have faith that the new ministering program is inspired of the Spirit and directed by Jesus Christ. But let's not pretend that the decades-long failure of home teaching to accomplish Church-wide what it was intended for was a failure of the program. It was not. It was a failure of the Saints. And unless the Saints grow up and accept a more mature attitude and commitment toward the ministering program, the overall results will not change.

6 hours ago, person0 said:

Given that an Elder's Quorum can contain up to 96 elders

Indeed, it has always been the normal case that when an elders quorum exceeds 96 active members, it gets divided. My impression from the weekend happenings is that the new ward elders quorums will be divided if the bishop and/or stake president feels it's necessary, but not necessarily at the former 96-member limit.

21 minutes ago, Vort said:

Indeed, it has always been the normal case that when an elders quorum exceeds 96 active members, it gets divided. My impression from the weekend happenings is that the new ward elders quorums will be divided if the bishop and/or stake president feels it's necessary, but not necessarily at the former 96-member limit.

Perhaps, but I still assume that barring unusual circumstances (i.e. highly transient membership such as college towns), that an Elder's Quorum will not likely exceed the 96 member threshold.  Most likely based on active rather than total membership.  Otherwise, with more than 96 wouldn't they have to specify the new policy as replacing the Lord's guidance from D&C 107?  As far as I can remember, I've never lived anywhere that had more than 96 active ordained Melchizedek priesthood holders anyway.

First off – I believe we have experienced a most historic Priesthood session of Conference.  However, I am still wondering what will become of “home teachers” or “family ministers” or whatever it is we all will end up calling them.  Honestly, I am more concerned with families utilizing resources available to them.   It is my view that most members sit around waiting for their home teachers to figure out everything about visiting them.  If there is not some kind of life threating thing going on most members do not know what home teachers are for.  I also do not like that most of the stories about good home teachers involve some kind of family disaster.

I have encountered many members that say their home teachers never visit.  Let me explain something here and now – nothing happens in this universe unless there is an incentive.  Water does not flow uphill because gravity gives water incentive to flow downhill – there is no incentive for water to flow uphill.  I believe that if members understood the value of having someone from the church involved with their family – then they would find out who their home teachers were and convince then to become involved.  If home teachers are not convinced there is some benefit to be had by them visiting – they will never visit.

It is my belief that families (or individual) members have more reason – both mortal and eternal – to have home teachers (or whatever they are to be called now) involved in their lives.

Also – an observation.  Our ward meeting house does not have a class room big enough for a single Elder’s Quorum to hold a counsel with chairs in a circle for all to hear.  I do not know if we can do this with 2 quorums.  But I am glad to get away from the idea that teaching doctrine at church priesthood quorum meetings is more important that helping one another.  However, I do see problems to be solved – I was raised with the idea of being resourceful and independent.  That we do not look to others to help with anything unless lives is in danger or something.  But I would like to know – the next time the wife and I are returning from a trip and were delayed so that it is 2:00 am Sunday morning at the Salt Lake City airport.  Tracks is not running, UP and Uber are not responding and there is an hour and half wait for a cab – who we can call to pick us up? – that can get up and be there before a taxi can take us?  Our marriage is quite stable and we do not need help with that - and mostly we do not have problems we cannot handle - but stuck at the airport seems to happen more than it should.

The Traveler

11 hours ago, zil said:

This is correct @zil, as they used to be called PPIs and at least from what I understand turned into "stewardship" interviews that were supposed to happen quarterly.