Essential Oils

Grunt

I try to be as health-conscious as possible, to include raising much of my own food.  I've always heard about essential oils, but they seem pretty confusing.  Does anyone use them?  

I know some are topical, diffused, or can be taken internally, but the results vary.  Quality seems to be a major concern.  I don't have any major ailments, I'm just looking for things that may have me reaching for something other than ibuprofen when my sinuses are killing me or a knee is acting up.  

My wife was into them for a while.  We even got the supposed best quality stuff: Doterra Oil.

Mostly, they're good scents.  I never noticed any kind of other effects.  My son who had difficulty concentrating was told to use a type of oil.  It put him to sleep.

The citrus scents were supposed to improve mood.  Well, I think everyone likes the smell of citrus.  So, it only seems reasonable that when we smell a pleasant scent, our mood improves.  So, duh.

If it is a sinus issue you're having, that is certainly scent related.  So, it might work.  But for the most part, I think it is just an expensive scented oil.  Nothing more.

I don't know what exactly is causing your headaches or sinus issues, but I have my share of them.  It took me many years to discover that it was because of my upper back and parts of my neck that were causing sinus and headache issues.  I tried my best to alter my sleeping positions and rub those portions of my back against a door jam or a wall corner.  But even with that, there are times I just have to take some ibuprofen.  But it is at least much less common now.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

I don't know what exactly is causing your headaches or sinus issues, but I have my share of them.  It took me many years to discover that it was because of my upper back and parts of my neck that were causing sinus and headache issues.  I tried my best to alter my sleeping positions and rub those portions of my back against a door jam or a wall corner.  But even with that, there are times I just have to take some ibuprofen.  But it is at least much less common now.

I had a commercial diving company in college.  Spending 6-8 hours a day underwater all winter in New England really did my sinuses in.   I know a few people who sell doTerra and swear buy it.  Not that I don't trust them, but they ARE selling something.

Guest MormonGator

Some people swear by them, but others think they are a waste of money and snake oil. It's your money, but do research on both sides before you waste it-er, spend it on them. 

16 hours ago, Grunt said:

I try to be as health-conscious as possible, to include raising much of my own food.  I've always heard about essential oils, but they seem pretty confusing.  Does anyone use them?  

I know some are topical, diffused, or can be taken internally, but the results vary.  Quality seems to be a major concern.  I don't have any major ailments, I'm just looking for things that may have me reaching for something other than ibuprofen when my sinuses are killing me or a knee is acting up.  

Ugh.  Essential Oils is one of those things like Organic that became faddish causing it to almost become useless.

Essential Oils is in our health arsenals in our holistic approach to medicine.  But, it's not a magic pill like ibuprofen or something.  That's the problem with the way it is treated in US culture.  You (not Grunt, I meant people in general) can't really tap into the benefits of Essential Oils if you put it into the modern approach to medicine - targeted healing.  For example - my knee hurts, take ibuprofen.  I have a cough, take Mucinex, etc. etc.  That approach is not compatible with Essential Oils.

Rather, essential oils is used for holistic healing in the same manner that food is.  So, for example, if you have a cough, something in your entire body is out of balance and it manifests itself through a cough.  Mucinex is great for treating the cough symptoms but it did not address the body's out-of-balance issue.  The normal body would be able to fight off the virus/bacteria that attacked it without us even being aware of it.  So, when it fails to do so and one ends up with a cough, something in the body may need adjustment or that virus/bacteria is Schwarzenegger-strength and just need to die already (you'll need antibiotics or something).

There are only 3 ways your body naturally takes nutrients for the body to use - through your mouth or through your nose or absorbed through your skin.  Then there's the proper balance between what your body took in, to the energy it needs to expend.  So, when the body is out of balance, there are only 4 ways to get it back to balance - adjust what goes in your nose or mouth or skin, or adjust the energy requirements.

Essential oils can be used to adjust what goes in your nose, mouth, or skin.  What needs to be adjusted and how to adjust it is an individual thing.  There are general guidelines but all of this is dependent on your individual body and what it is prone to.  It is a study all to itself and I've been living holistic since forever and I still don't know it - I only know what works for me and my 2 kids.  My husband doesn't want anything to do with it.  He wants me to leave his ibuprofen alone.  ;)

Edited by anatess2

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

Ugh.  Essential Oils is one of those things like Organic that became faddish causing it to almost become useless.

Essential Oils is in our health arsenals in our holistic approach to medicine.  But, it's not a magic pill like ibuprofen or something.  That's the problem with the way it is treated in US culture.  You (not Grunt, I meant people in general) can't really tap into the benefits of Essential Oils if you put it into the modern approach to medicine - targeted healing.  For example - my knee hurts, take ibuprofen.  I have a cough, take Mucinex, etc. etc.  That approach is not compatible with Essential Oils.

Rather, essential oils is used for holistic healing in the same manner that food is.  So, for example, if you have a cough, something in your entire body is out of balance and it manifests itself through a cough.  Mucinex is great for treating the cough symptoms but it did not address the body's out-of-balance issue.  The normal body would be able to fight off the virus/bacteria that attacked it without us even being aware of it.  So, when it fails to do so and one ends up with a cough, something in the body may need adjustment or that virus/bacteria is Schwarzenegger-strength and just need to die already (you'll need antibiotics or something).

There are only 3 ways your body naturally takes nutrients for the body to use - through your mouth or through your nose or absorbed through your skin.  Then there's the proper balance between what your body took in, to the energy it needs to expend.  So, when the body is out of balance, there are only 4 ways to get it back to balance - adjust what goes in your nose or mouth or skin, or adjust the energy requirements.

Essential oils can be used to adjust what goes in your nose, mouth, or skin.  What needs to be adjusted and how to adjust it is an individual thing.  There are general guidelines but all of this is dependent on your individual body and what it is prone to.  It is a study all to itself and I've been living holistic since forever and I still don't know it - I only know what works for me and my 2 kids.  My husband doesn't want anything to do with it.  He wants me to leave his ibuprofen alone.  ;)

Thank you for such a thought-out response.   I've been doing a ton of research (who'd have thought) and I think my expectations are in line with what you've shared.  I'm trying to take a more holistic approach to minor ailments and this is something I'm looking into.  I know you can get some of the same benefits from natural remedies that you get from chemicals and I'm just trying to sort those out, I suppose.  There are SO many companies out there with varying reviews.  

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

Thank you for such a thought-out response.   I've been doing a ton of research (who'd have thought) and I think my expectations are in line with what you've shared.  I'm trying to take a more holistic approach to minor ailments and this is something I'm looking into.  I know you can get some of the same benefits from natural remedies that you get from chemicals and I'm just trying to sort those out, I suppose.  There are SO many companies out there with varying reviews.  

True story...

You might have heard the Filipino joke about Vicks Vaporub.  It's like... the cure-of-all-things in Filipino tradition.  You have a cough, Vicks.  You have a tootache, Vicks.  You have cancer, Vicks.  Hah hah.

But, it became a Filipino tradition because, goodness gracious batman, it works (well, it doesn't cure cancer... but close enough)!  Of course, science projects all over the land tries to experiment on what is it about Vicks that makes it this cure-all magical thing... well, scientific upstarts are so confuddled that all they can really point to is that you rub it in and that human touch is what cures and not necessarily the camphor-mentho-lyptus or whatever is in Vicks.

Edited by anatess2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I know lots of people that do essential oils.  Mostly quackado medicine in my opinion.  Do some have some positive effects?  Sure...  yes, they smell good and probably help you sleep better.  Are they going to increase your energy levels?  unlikely except if they are helping you sleep better.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/c/pmh_sr/?term=essential oils

This has some decent links.  I think for the most part essential oils are more of a placebo.  But even placebos can be effective in certain cases.

In the end though, they do smell good. 

You can get a book via Kindle for free on Essential Oils - Essential Oils: Your Guide to What They Do and How to Use Them (Essential, Oils, Guide, Recipes, Weight, Loss, Aromatherapy, Health, Beginners, Remedies, Essential Oils, Weight Loss) Kindle Edition . Highlight the purple text, copy, then paste it in Amazon.

I use them added to coconut oil and enough grapeseed oil to keep the coconut oil from solidifying at 65 degrees. This I use as body lotion. For when I hurt, I use oil of clove mixed in just the coconut & grapeseed oil. Just a little goes a long way. I also mix a wee bit of tea tree oil into coconut oil and use this on Hubby's legs. Helps to heal the blisters he gets and the coconut moisturizes like no other store brand around. Plus the scent is really mild.

All of the oils I have are used strictly as topical applications, or mixed in with just grapeseed oil, in heated diffusers. I'll read the book, then decided if any will be injested.

Oh, I put some lavender oil, on a HOT wet hand towel, then place the towel over my eyes and forehead. I drape the towel over my nose so I can smell it. This relaxes me, and if I have a slight headache, it helps to ease it.

On 4/1/2018 at 4:02 PM, Grunt said:

Not essential oils, but i have used curcumin (the anti-inflammatory compound in turmeric - that spice that makes curry yellow) as an ibuprofen alternative.  Honestly, it's not as effective as ibuprofen - definitely not in the short term, but it doesn't burn holes in your stomach either.  

There's quite a bit of science behind it's use.  Debatable as to whether or not the science is good or not.... but there is a lot of science behind it.  i'll let you find a PubMed article to your liking - but below is one.  Personally, i like the Meriva formulation - supposed to be more bio-available due to being converted into a form your body can use more.  i go back and forth as to whether it's self-defeating to bio-engineer something natural to make it's natural properties more effective :).  i go for the patented formulations because at least then you are getting something that you know what's in it, and has been studied a little bit.  i think there are a *lot* of people who stick something sort of yellowish in a gelatin capsule and market the heck out of it on Amazon as the best thing since sliced bread - and pay people to give it 5 star reviews.

Anyways, it has helped my Dad's Arthritis some, and helped me also.  Most at first, then you notice it helping less and less.  i guess the body adapts to just about anything you pump into it.

Anyways, sorry to hear about your sinuses and knee pain.  Those are things that never quite go away.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23526055

41 minutes ago, lostinwater said:

Not essential oils, but i have used curcumin (the anti-inflammatory compound in turmeric - that spice that makes curry yellow) as an ibuprofen alternative.  Honestly, it's not as effective as ibuprofen - definitely not in the short term, but it doesn't burn holes in your stomach either.  

There's quite a bit of science behind it's use.  Debatable as to whether or not the science is good or not.... but there is a lot of science behind it.  i'll let you find a PubMed article to your liking - but below is one.  Personally, i like the Meriva formulation - supposed to be more bio-available due to being converted into a form your body can use more.  i go back and forth as to whether it's self-defeating to bio-engineer something natural to make it's natural properties more effective :).  i go for the patented formulations because at least then you are getting something that you know what's in it, and has been studied a little bit.  i think there are a *lot* of people who stick something sort of yellowish in a gelatin capsule and market the heck out of it on Amazon as the best thing since sliced bread - and pay people to give it 5 star reviews.

Anyways, it has helped my Dad's Arthritis some, and helped me also.  Most at first, then you notice it helping less and less.  i guess the body adapts to just about anything you pump into it.

Anyways, sorry to hear about your sinuses and knee pain.  Those are things that never quite go away.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23526055

Thanks!   I still run 5 miles a day, so I have very little to complain about.