Another ex mission president in trouble

Okay, but this is not a sex crime.  It's messed up, but I don't think the child should be able to sue.  Either way the child was going to have a different biological father.  It is the mother that should have rights to sue since she was not provided the correct service she paid for, and the correct donor she requested.  Honestly though, while the doctor should probably be penalized for malpractice, if the child doesn't have any health conditions resulting from her genetics, I don't see why the family would be due compensation more than the cost of the services they received inflated to today's monetary valuation.

What mother is going to say, "I don't love you anymore since I found out that you are the child of a different person, instead of the one who's bio I liked most"?  The parents were wrong to not tell their daughter in the first place.  I don't think the child has a valid case, but perhaps the parents would.

Don't get me wrong, what the guy did is absolutely wrong, however, it is not the same as a sex crime, and he didn't do anything to the child directly.

6 minutes ago, zil said:

Perhaps not, but it made for an interesting episode of Law & Order. :lol:

You saw that one too?  Yeah.  I pretty much had the same reaction as @backroads.  Mine was more of a "raise one eyebrow REALLY high" (because I can).  And then say,"Whaaa?!?!"

What kind of whacked out person does this?  Yeah, it isn't a "sexual assault".  But it doesn't have to be to be just plain jacked up.

Edited by Guest

25 minutes ago, person0 said:

What mother is going to say, "I don't love you anymore since I found out that you are the child of a different person, instead of the one who's bio I liked most"?  The parents were wrong to not tell their daughter in the first place.  I don't think the child has a valid case, but perhaps the parents would.

Or maybe the daughter is mad?

”IM NOT THE PERSON IM SUPPOSE TO BE!”

interesting question. If she had been born with a disability, is it the doctor’s fault?

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Well, we don't exactly know what happened.  Weird mental thing is absolutely a possibility, but this could have been a lab mistake.

Really? I think we know EXACTLY what happened there is DNA proof of it. 

Was it a Lab mistake? We will see. It's not the kind of mistake that you can make and recover from, these are career ending mistakes and consequences can carry criminal charges.  

Edited by omegaseamaster75

24 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

It's not the kind of mistake that you can make and recover from, these are career ending mistakes and consequences can carry criminal charges.  

Oh, absolutely.  I figure it's somewhere between "We'd fire the tech, but he only worked there for six months, 36 years ago", and "Dr. Mortimer was charged and convicted of multiple counts, and sentenced to X years of prison".   

I don't know much about these things, so I'm just sort of guessing here. For it to be legally wrong, would the practice of using his own sperm need to be a violation of the contract, or the terms and conditions, mutually entered into by the client and service provider? if there was/is a clause in the fine print that says something like "the Doctor may use whatever sperm he feels like provided it is from a fit and healthy male" would it still be legally wrong? 

1 hour ago, paracaidista508 said:

IN the next several weeks hundreds of his former patients are gonna freak out when they see this story. 

to be honest, This is so interesting to me . Why would someone freak out? Is the child no longer yours? 

I say this fully knowing that I too would be a little disturbed if this happened to me, but what would an appropriate reaction be?

Punish him for breaking a law... but beyond that why should I be disturbed? Do the last ‘x’ number of years all of a sudden change?

If I grew up in a house and I was told that the support beams were made of solid Titanium, but I find out 20 years later via x-ray examination that they are made of steel, should I be upset? The only  reason I’m upset is because I discovered via a scientific process I don’t even understand that something I had done 20 years ago wasn’t as it had seemed. Does this mean that the last 20 years I was living a lie? Does the way I treat my home change?

44 minutes ago, Fether said:

to be honest, This is so interesting to me . Why would someone freak out? Is the child no longer yours? 

I say this fully knowing that I too would be a little disturbed if this happened to me, but what would an appropriate reaction be?

Punish him for breaking a law... but beyond that why should I be disturbed? Do the last ‘x’ number of years all of a sudden change?

If I grew up in a house and I was told that the support beams were made of solid Titanium, but I find out 20 years later via x-ray examination that they are made of steel, should I be upset? The only  reason I’m upset is because I discovered via a scientific process I don’t even understand that something I had done 20 years ago wasn’t as it had seemed. Does this mean that the last 20 years I was living a lie? Does the way I treat my home change?

If there were tons of them in this geographic area, there are pretty good chances there are a few brothers and sisters now married to each other. Imagine finding out you married your sibling. Just sayin....I guess in Idaho and utah that's not a big deal?...no?

Your father isn't your father and the real one is a loony tune. It's one thing knowing that growing up, but imagine one day as a 30 year old waking up to that news?

Edited by paracaidista508

14 hours ago, person0 said:

Either way the child was going to have a different biological father. 

Not necessarily; when Cecil Jacobson was doing this in SLC, at least one case was supposed to be using the husband's sperm, but the doc swapped in his own instead.

10 hours ago, askandanswer said:

I don't know much about these things, so I'm just sort of guessing here. For it to be legally wrong, would the practice of using his own sperm need to be a violation of the contract, or the terms and conditions, mutually entered into by the client and service provider? if there was/is a clause in the fine print that says something like "the Doctor may use whatever sperm he feels like provided it is from a fit and healthy male" would it still be legally wrong? 

That is a good point.  We don't know the terms of the contract.

5 hours ago, paracaidista508 said:

Article states they used husbands and donors sperm. 

“The doctor recommended that Ashby undergo a procedure in which she would be inseminated with sperm from her husband and an anonymous donor who matched the couple’s specifications”

Oh, I guess we DO know the terms of the contract.  And they appeared to be satisfied.

Not assault.  Not even illegal.  Still Jacked Up.  Why jacked up?

I remember having a discussion about A.I. with a college roommate.  His religion professor had gone over the topic of donor sperm and said it was no different than having sex with the donor.  In his mind it was fornication or adultery.

I really had to raise my eye about that.  But reviewing this article and situations like it, there is something to his statement.  I don't think I'd go so far as calling it adultery.  But there is just something wrong with the whole situation.  And I'm thinking that donor sperm is not what the Lord intended to be the method of bringing children into this world. 

Still, that appears to be what the mother wanted.  Waddya gonna do?

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

That is a good point.  We don't know the terms of the contract.

Oh, I guess we DO know the terms of the contract.  And they appeared to be satisfied.

"The couple requested a donor who was in college and taller than 6 feet with brown hair and blue eyes "

The Dr. did not fulfill their request he certainly was not in college and while I don't know what he looked like when younger I am going to guess not brown hair and blue eyes

Yes illegal, immoral and unethical.

The guy is a scumbag of the lowest order how can there be any defense for what he did?