Another ex mission president in trouble

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

That is a good point.  We don't know the terms of the contract.

Oh, I guess we DO know the terms of the contract.  And they appeared to be satisfied.

Not assault.  Not even illegal.  Still Jacked Up.  Why jacked up?

I remember having a discussion about A.I. with a college roommate.  His religion professor had gone over the topic of donor sperm and said it was no different than having sex with the donor.  In his mind it was fornication or adultery.

I really had to raise my eye about that.  But reviewing this article and situations like it, there is something to his statement.  I don't think I'd go so far as calling it adultery.  But there is just something wrong with the whole situation.  And I'm thinking that donor sperm is not what the Lord intended to be the method of bringing children into this world. 

Still, that appears to be what the mother wanted.  Waddya gonna do?

Actually the contract stated the donor sperm had to meet certain specifications...ie the donor had to. The Dr did not meet those specifications. I recall it had to do with hair and eye color, height and had to be a college student. That said, the contract was probably violated.

7 minutes ago, paracaidista508 said:

Actually the contract stated the donor sperm had to meet certain specifications...ie the donor had to. The Dr did not meet those specifications. I recall it had to do with hair and eye color, height and had to be a college student. That said, the contract was probably violated.

Ok.  I hadn't read the details.  My bad.

So, it was indeed illegal.  He's still jacked up anyway.  I never said otherwise.

1 minute ago, paracaidista508 said:

Yep. They need to give him a fair trial and hang him.

Uhmm.  I agree it was both illegal and severely messed up.  But I'm hoping you're being hyperbolic when you say this is a capital offense.

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, mordorbund said:

Depends on how ugly your sibling is...

I think you've read the book "Flowers in the Attic" one too many times dude. 

On 4/5/2018 at 11:00 AM, NeuroTypical said:

Oh, absolutely.  I figure it's somewhere between "We'd fire the tech, but he only worked there for six months, 36 years ago", and "Dr. Mortimer was charged and convicted of multiple counts, and sentenced to X years of prison".   

I thought I'd better explain my laugh response to your post: I read it as "Dr. Moreau was chared and convicted...."

I'm really having difficulty understanding something.  In an unrelated case with similar accusations, the child born of that A.I. said:

“When I first found out, I felt disassociated from my body and my face,” one couple’s daughter said, according to the CBC/Radio Canada. “When I’d look in the mirror, I felt like suddenly it wasn’t my face. Features about myself that I’d always liked, or just thought of as my own seemed like they might belong to someone else, and I didn’t know who that was.”

While I realize what the doctor did was messed up, I don't understand this reaction.  This seems like the same thing people believe about adoption. I never felt that.

While i had the advantage of knowing from the beginning that I was adopted, the fact is that I've never really known anyone who felt "betrayed" at finding out.  It was a surprise to many.  And some even sought out their birth parents.  But this "SHOCK" and DISASSOCIATION is just not something I understand.

Are people so attached to DNA that they feel like a different person simply because they found out the DNA was different than what they thought?  What does that even have to do with anything?  Do you not know who you are?

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

I'm really having difficulty understanding something.  In an unrelated case with similar accusations, the child born of that A.I. said:

While I realize what the doctor did was messed up, I don't understand this reaction.  This seems like the same thing people believe about adoption. I never felt that.

While i had the advantage of knowing from the beginning that I was adopted, the fact is that I've never really known anyone who felt "betrayed" at finding out.  It was a surprise to many.  And some even sought out their birth parents.  But this "SHOCK" and DISASSOCIATION is just not something I understand.

Are people so attached to DNA that they feel like a different person simply because they found out the DNA was different than what they thought?  What does that even have to do with anything?  Do you not know who you are?

People react to trauma or change in different ways. For some this would be a traumatic event. The parents of this child never told her she was the product of artificial insemination or whatever they did. They probably thought that they had at least a 50/50 chance that she was their natural offspring. When you find out that who you thought was your father actually wasn't that's a big deal.  At worst this is traumatic and at best it is a difficult change to wrap your head around.

Think about the church essays for some this was a traumatic revelation even though if you wanted to know about it you could.