am I right or am i overreacting?

Guest MormonGator
41 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I can also advocate the notion of just not give a flying wet flap what other people think about you 

Off topic, but one thing I've noticed in my life is that when people say "They don't care about what others think of you" they are almost always lying. I don't mean @NeuroTypical in particular here.   

First off, you do care, even if it's subconscious and secondly if you truly didn't  care, you wouldn't say it. You'd simply know. Thirdly, just saying that is a defensive mechanism, and finally-if you didn't care what others thought of you, why should we care what you say? It is such a pet peeve of mine when people say that. 

:: Gets off soapbox:: 

Edited by MormonGator

Yeah, this is proven by watching cats.   When they fall off something and come crashing down in an embarrassing display of feet and picture frames, they immediately scan the room.  If they see they are not alone, they pose, give a few nonurgent licks to a lesser body part, and strut off as if nothing happened.  

If they think they are alone, you see very different behavior.  The cat equivalent of rolling around the floor yelling "owie owie owie it hurts it hurts!"

Edited by NeuroTypical

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2018 at 11:35 AM, MormonGator said:

Off topic, but one thing I've noticed in my life is that when people say "They don't care about what others think of you" they are almost always lying. I don't mean @NeuroTypical in particular here.   

First off, you do care, even if it's subconscious and secondly if you truly didn't  care, you wouldn't say it. You'd simply know. Thirdly, just saying that is a defensive mechanism, and finally-if you didn't care what others thought of you, why should we care what you say? It is such a pet peeve of mine when people say that. 

:: Gets off soapbox:: 

Truth.  We all care what others think of us.  We all consciously project a particular image that we want others to have of us.  The difference is in whether or not it's an image that we like for ourselves, or whether it's an image we project that we think others will like. 

The truth isn't "I don't care what others think of me."  The truth can, however, be "I don't care if people like what they see."

• 3 weeks later...