Is 1st counselor senior to 2nd counselor in any way?

User

I have been a member of the church my whole life and for 30+ years assumed that a first councilor was in some way higher or more senior than a second councilor.  Is there any validity to this?  is there any stratification between the two counselors in any way officially specified by the church?  In this case I am particularly wondering about the Elders Quorum Counselors but it raises the question to any priesthood (or perhaps auxiliary) presidency.

Background Story (optional):

I serve as 2nd counselor in an Elders Quorum Presidency where the president is exceptionally busy and the 1st counselor is disengaged (not complaining, they're great guys!).  In cases where the president is completely unavailable I wondered if I first need to consult with the first counselor before I take the lead and go to ward council, plan our lessons, etc.  If so things might be much more complicated as we don't hear from him much.  but I want to make sure I function appropriately in my role.  I know we (counselors) do not have the keys which the EQ president does and this situation should be remedied and I always work under the direction of the bishop and try to keep the rest of the presidency involved and informed. but with that in mind should I defer decisions and initiatives to the 2nd counselor or should I just go and do.

18 minutes ago, User said:

I have been a member of the church my whole life and for 30+ years assumed that a first councilor was in some way higher or more senior than a second councilor.  Is there any validity to this?  is there any stratification between the two counselors in any way officially specified by the church?  In this case I am particularly wondering about the Elders Quorum Counselors but it raises the question to any priesthood (or perhaps auxiliary) presidency.

I serve as 2nd counselor in an Elders Quorum Presidency where the president is exceptionally busy and the 1st counselor is disengaged (not complaining, they're great guys!).  In cases where the president is completely unavailable I wondered if I first need to consult with the first counselor before I take the lead and go to ward council, plan our lessons, etc.  If so things might be much more complicated as we don't hear from him much.  but I want to make sure I function appropriately in my role.  I know we (counselors) do not have the keys which the EQ president does and this situation should be remedied and I always work under the direction of the bishop and try to keep the rest of the presidency involved and informed. but with that in mind should I defer decisions and initiatives to the 2nd counselor or should I just go and do.

I’m literally in the exact same position as you xD I had it explained to me this way. 1st councilor is senior in the sense that he is older (or in the case if the apostles, more experienced). As far as duties, they are delegates by the president. I am  Responsible for home teaching and the other counselor is responsible for service projects. He doesn’t step in on my duties and I don’t step in on his unless in seeking or offering advice.

40 minutes ago, User said:

When the president (or bishop) is not present, the first counselor takes over. In that sense, the first counselor is "senior to" the second counselor.

Other than that, the counselors are both part of the presidency, and such "ranking" rarely if ever plays a role. Duties are typically divided evenly between the counselors. The opinions of both are carefully considered. If the opinions of one are weighted above the other, that is likely because the one has experience that the other lacks.

In your specific case, I would suggest talking to the president and getting his input. You should coordinate with the first counselor in things like attending ward council and such. In the absence of the president, it would be his place to go to the ward council. As for planning lessons and such, that should be worked out in your presidency. Those duties should be clearly assigned to one or the other (or both) of you.

Edited by Vort