Yep, I hate Relief Society

sharmaine

6 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Perhaps you should ask @Sunday21 how she dealt with someone who sat uncomfortably close to her, and then apply a modified version of that technique to Sister MLM. :) 

He was actually rubbing himself up against me! I ignored him the first time and after the second emailed the Bishop. I attended a different session of the class ie went during 2nd hour rather than 3rd hour.

Edited by Sunday21

5 hours ago, NightSG said:

Last time someone tried to get me to go to their Southern Baptist den of hypocrisy, I used something more based on Colin Firth's lines from the church scene in Kingsman.  Worked well, though I'm not sure you'd want to use it in a place you spend much time.

Someone, apparently, despite their best efforts to constantly express themselves with juvenile humor, doesn't seem to, after all is said and done, actually have a sense of humor.

24 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Someone, apparently, despite their best efforts to constantly express themselves with juvenile humor, doesn't seem to, after all is said and done, actually have a sense of humor.

Someone hasn't dealt with the Dallas version of Southern Baptists.  It was, by far, the less violent of the possibly effective options, and mostly inspired by the fact that their actions weren't particularly unlike the woman who triggered that response in the movie.  Apparently, to their minds, wearing a charcoal gray trenchcoat and fedora in a cold, pouring rain is an invitation for people to immediately start telling you you're going to hell and your only chance is to join their church, then start asking personal questions.

Guest MormonGator
3 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

He was actually rubbing himself up against me! I ignored him the first time and after the second emailed the Bishop. I attended a different session of the class ie went during 2nd hour rather than 3rd hour.

This is a form of sexual assault, in my view. He's very fortunate that you didn't go above the bishops head and contact the police, which you'd be totally justified in doing. 

Guest MormonGator
10 hours ago, askandanswer said:

@MormonGator I've noticed your skin is looking a little green and rough lately. I'ev got some essential oils that could help you with that, for a heavily discounted "member" special price. I can have it delivered on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning, which time would be better for you?

LOL!

One person in church tried to get me involved in his "business" which I thought was an MLM. It was an energy company of some type still in existence but is very shady, in my view. I said, "Well, this isn't Essential Oils, but my feelings are the exact same as if it was." He knew immediately I was no longer interested. 

Hmm.  How to keep people from trying to get you to buy something:

"Do you accept food stamps?"

"My cat just had kittens.  I can't afford to buy anything, but I could pay in kittens.  Will three be enough?"

"I only deal in bitcoin now."

"Once my garden has a chance to get going, I could pay you in zucchini."

How to keep people from talking to you:

1. Get a printer.
  2. Get those 2x10 print-them-yourself business cards.
  3. Print the following on said cards: "I have taken a vow of silence.  Please join me."
  4. Hand a card to the person as soon as they start talking to you.

One of the great lines in As Good As It Gets:

"I want your life for one minute where my biggest problem is someone offering me a free convertible so I can get outta this city."

That scene is a great one.  A guy at a restaurant was "bullied" into driving an injured guy from Manhattan to Baltimore (the "bully" simply refused to take no for an answer even offering the use of his convertible).  So the guy asked the waitress to help him tell the "bully" No.  That line above was the line the waitress responded to him with.

The lesson to be taken out of that scene - you can take everything 2 ways, 1.) you can think about all the offenses people lob at you and get upset so much so that you end up losing sight of your role in the realization of the Relief Society mission and recusing yourself from it, 2.) you can look at it as an opportunity to make somebody else's life better and Relief Society as a whole.

Here's my suggestion - go ask the Bishop to make you the Relief Society President.

12 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Agree, though the cool thing I have noticed as I've gotten older (and yes, more mature) is that there aren't many people out there like that. Those who I seek out who don't reciprocate the offer in some way. I spend more time maintaining my already held friendships than I do seeking out new relationships. And the new relationships I do seek out are formed on mutual interest. I'm extremely lucky, I guess. 

Or people are more tolerant of you than you are of them.  ;)

(Don't worry, MG blocked me too so he won't see this.  Hah!)

59 minutes ago, zil said:

Hmm.  How to keep people from trying to get you to buy something:

"Do you accept food stamps?"

"My cat just had kittens.  I can't afford to buy anything, but I could pay in kittens.  Will three be enough?"

"I only deal in bitcoin now."

"Once my garden has a chance to get going, I could pay you in zucchini."

1. Get a printer.
  3. Print the following on said cards: "I have taken a vow of silence.  Please join me."

I want to attend church with Zil! 

3 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I want to attend church with Zil! 

She'll make you her first counselor and make you hold monthly trainings on How to keep people from making you buy something.  It would be incorporated into your new Ministering program.

Just now, anatess2 said:

She'll make you her first counselor and make you hold monthly trainings on How to keep people from making you buy something.  It would be incorporated into your new Ministering program.

2nd counselor (who's moving this summer :(  )

4 hours ago, zil said:

1. Get a printer.

There must be something wrong with my computer screen. It seems to be suggesting that @zil is advocating printing, rather than writing

1 minute ago, askandanswer said:

There must be something wrong with my computer screen. It seems to be suggesting that @zil is advocating printing, rather than writing

Feel free to hand-write the cards.  Perhaps in one or more eye-searing colors, on a stark, bright white card, just for fun.

18 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Let me introduce you to the ‘broken record technique’ so called because vinyl records would get stuck in a scratch and repeat the same phrase over and over again. This technique is endlessly useful with noisy overbearing people that you meet at church, administrators, bureaucrats, and people that want to sell you things.

Elderly Sister Possum: You really need to buy this Yak Oil.

You: No thank you.

Elderly Sister Possum: But clearly you need it! Your hair is a mess, you clearly lack energy..

You: No thank you. (No change in expression or inflection).

Elderly Sister Possum: But it is so cheap and clearly you...

You: No thank you. (No change in expression or inflection).

Repeat, repeat, repeat. Do not explain and never add or subtract a single word. 

Have I been through this? You bet! 

Obeying the commandment to attend Relief Society will make your life better. Yes, it will! And at least one or two of those old ladies will turn out to be terrific people. Good Luck! 

17 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Turn them into your projects instead. Befriend them. Love them. Serve them. Buy their magic elixir snake-oil. 

After all of the funny/interesting/entertaining/useful answers that have been offered, these two strike me as the most reasonable and practicable. (Though to repeat, I'm not sold on TFP's final sentence, Groundhog's Day notwithstanding.)

14 minutes ago, Vort said:

After all of the funny/interesting/entertaining/useful answers that have been offered, these two strike me as the most reasonable and practicable. (Though to repeat, I'm not sold on TFP's final sentence, Groundhog's Day notwithstanding.)

In all seriousness...

The suggestions is just that. It's not meant as a "this is the way to handle it" suggestion, but something for consideration. There are some essential oils that have some value at some level. If one has any use for those, and one has the money, and one is interested in building a relationship, then it is worth, perhaps, some level of consideration.

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

In all seriousness...

The suggestions is just that. It's not meant as a "this is the way to handle it" suggestion, but something for consideration. There are some essential oils that have some value at some level. If one has any use for those, and one has the money, and one is interested in building a relationship, then it is worth, perhaps, some level of consideration.

Here's a few that have cool benefits:

Use tea tree oil instead of Formula 409:  Combine 20 drops of tea tree oil, 3/4 cup of water and a 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle.

Use eucalyptus oil as a decongestant:  When your nose is stuffed, you can add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to a hot bath to clear it.  Or you can put some in a diffuser.

Lavender oil, is of course always great and if you want to courtesy buy one and only one item, this is it.  You can put it in a diffuser for a relaxing sleep.  Or you can rub it on your lips to combat chapped lips.  Or you can rub sunburnt skin with it to ease discomfort.  Or you can even just smell the oil bottle aroma deep into your chest to combat anxiety or restlessness or stress.   Or you can dab it on anything to make it smell good.

But yeah, one thing about essential oil people is that they won't stop at just one sale.  So make sure you tell them clearly - I'm going to buy one oil just as a courtesy and I have no intention to buy in the future.

Edited by anatess2

One of my best friends had OCD, really bad, and had a ton of quirks.  He sadly passed away about 4 years ago.  After dealing with him for so long, I can handle any one's quirks.  So I feel like I am immune to such behaviors. 

It reminds me of how a social group I would hang out with, dinner parties, movie nights etc.  It was large enough that people would come and go over the years.  One guy showed up, and he was a bit socially awkward, and kind of odd, and of course, you wanted to avoid him.  Well, I eventually got to know him and found out he has Asberger's syndrome, which explains the quirkiness, and he ended up being a great friend. 

So, my advice is this.  Grin and bear it, and maybe get to know people you normally would avoid.  Most people just want to be listened to, and to have a friend.  So be a friend, even when it's uncomfortable.  And you will learn to adapt to annoying people, and maybe make a friend or two in the process.

On 4/8/2018 at 10:11 PM, The Folk Prophet said:

Someone needs to watch Groundhog Day again. 

Problem with that movie is that Phil can get away with anything.  No aging at all, for him or any of the ~2700 women in Punxsutawney.  No worries about disease, unwanted pregnancy, death, jealous boyfriends, jealous husbands, having to call her in the morning, etc.  Then he finally does the "right" thing and...back to aging.

Though, granted, Andie MacDowell has aged quite nicely.