Getting worked up over, politics, religion, etc

Crypto

Hello All.  :)

Recently I find myself getting far to worked up over certain issues of politics, and religion when someone has strong opinions contrary and often somewhat antagonistic to my own. It seems like the internal calm I used to maintain is easily turned into a raging fire lately. I am a firm believer is sharing differing beliefs, thoughts, ideas, world views, and experiences.

How do you find that you keep yourself from getting engulfed in the misery others seem to enjoy spreading?

How has applying the Gospel of Jesus Christ helped you?

I find for myself that when I get too worked up I need to enforce a time out on myself when possible. So when I get too frustrated with virtual interactions I limit my time in them. In face to face interactions it can be harder. Especially when the person(s) making me frustrated are unavoidable characters in my life. Then I find it helpful to try to catch myself telling villain stories about them and/or watch for telling victim stories about myself. 

I admittedly take the gospel for granted and have a hard time recognizing how it has blessed me because I've always had it. I wonder sometimes if it isn't like having a sufficient oxygen supply in the air I breath - perhaps if the oxygen decreased a couple percentage points in the atmosphere I would realize how great I had it around 20%. Not having experienced life without the gospel of Jesus Christ, I just don't feel like I have reference point I can truly relate with to compare to.

Guest MormonGator
On 4/9/2018 at 12:32 AM, Crypto said:

How do you find that you keep yourself from getting engulfed in the misery others seem to enjoy spreading?

It helps to have hobbies other than politics and religion. My closest friend differs from me greatly politically, but we can talk about baseball, music, and other things when the argument gets too much. We've been friends for over two decades so something is going right. Same with my atheist friends when it comes to religion-we rely on things other than politics/religion. 

6 hours ago, MormonGator said:

It helps to have hobbies other than politics and religion. My closest friend differs from me greatly politically, but we can talk about baseball, music, and other things when the argument gets too much. We've been friends for over two decades so something is going right. Same with my atheist friends when it comes to religion-we rely on things other than politics/religion. 

Oh come on now.  You broadcast your religion right on your avatar...how much more involved with religion can you get.

I'm a Georgia Bulldog...and you are a Florida Gator...two religions that constantly bash heads.  There are some religions that will ALWAYS be in conflict...

:P

(In case it went over people's heads, the above is a JOKE.  One must understand how serious people get about their Football in the South, and furthermore how envious almost every Southern university team is of the Gators.  Of course, temporarily some are envious of Georgia, and I AM somewhat of a hardcore Georgia fan...and so there is a little bit of rivalry there...which is all part of the joke).

5 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Oh come on now.  You broadcast your religion right on your avatar...how much more involved with religion can you get.

I'm a Georgia Bulldog...and you are a Florida Gator...two religions that constantly bash heads.  There are some religions that will ALWAYS be in conflict...

(In case it went over people's heads, the above is a JOKE.  One must understand how serious people get about their Football in the South, and furthermore how envious almost every Southern university team is of the Gators.  Of course, temporarily some are envious of Georgia, and I AM somewhat of a hardcore Georgia fan...and so there is a little bit of rivalry there...which is all part of the joke).

If you have to explain it, it's not a joke.  Gators rule.  Georgia and FSU can go play in the kiddie sandbox.

Guest MormonGator
5 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

So many wonderful things about this post. 

On 4/9/2018 at 12:32 AM, Crypto said:

By avoiding Monster Painting.

Think about it... really think about it... why do you think others are spreading misery and not you spreading misery to them?  Monster painting... that's why those things get toxic.  You're not arguing the merits of the issue.  Rather, you're fighting a monster you've painted in your head.  "I can't believe you voted for Trump!  You're a White Supremacist!".  "I can't believe you support the NRA!  You must like to kill children!"  Monster Painting.  Avoid it.

21 hours ago, MormonGator said:

My wife's late grandfather was well known for using,"let's talk about the birds" to deflect conversation that was getting toxic.

9 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Think about it... really think about it... why do you think others are spreading misery and not you spreading misery to them?  Monster painting... that's why those things get toxic.  You're not arguing the merits of the issue.  Rather, you're fighting a monster you've painted in your head.  "I can't believe you voted for Trump!  You're a White Supremacist!".  "I can't believe you support the NRA!  You must like to kill children!"  Monster Painting.  Avoid it.

Monster painting sounds a lot like the idea of telling villain stories. One strategy to try when facing these situations is to ask oneself why would a reasonable and rational person do this. Oftentimes the actions of others can begin to make sense. However, sometime it may require actually facing "the enemy" and asking them why they do such and such i it can be surprising to learn that it's not because they are villains or monsters.

16 hours ago, anatess2 said:

It can be very difficult to have a constructive conversation with anyone monster painting. Your post is a good reminder to me to try and avoid doing the same xD

I used to get worked up a lot more than I do no. Now I work to just stay calm and state my case. People still assume I'm worked up -- and that works them up often. But I'm not. I keep the emotion out of it. Learning to do this has made a huge difference in my own life.

If I do ever find myself truly getting worked up, I walk away for a bit until I'm not.

I don’t like contention. I tend to shy away from any discussions/topics that may become toxic. And, it isn’t because I don’t feel strongly about certain topics. I have very strong opinions. I just try to disengage when it gets contentious. I’ve found I can usually stay calm, even when I don’t agree.

4 hours ago, classylady said:

I don’t like contention. I tend to shy away from any discussions/topics that may become toxic. And, it isn’t because I don’t feel strongly about certain topics. I have very strong opinions. I just try to disengage when it gets contentious. I’ve found I can usually stay calm, even when I don’t agree.

I need to do more of this.

On 4/13/2018 at 1:21 AM, classylady said:

I don't have a problem with people disagreeing, but when I feel contention, or seem to feel contention radiating from someone else I think that may be best.

7 minutes ago, Vort said:

In the spirit of being intolerant toward the intolerant, I only Monster Paint the Monster Painters.

Does Monster painting then make you a monster? I mean a veritable vortex of vortical vortices does seem like it could be some sort of mythical monster in some strange and fantastical land lauded by such horrors.

or do such acts of painting simply make you some sort of artist  ;)

2 hours ago, Crypto said:

Does Monster painting then make you a monster? I mean a veritable vortex of vortical vortices does seem like it could be some sort of mythical monster in some strange and fantastical land lauded by such horrors.

or do such acts of painting simply make you some sort of artist  ;)