Missionary Numbers - stats, ugh.

NeedleinA

5 minutes ago, zil said:

I think the Lord is trying to teach us to be concerned with doing exactly what we have been commanded (and He will worry about the outcome).

More importanlty...the LORD does His work. We are tools, but HE does it. It is HIS work, not ours. He can do His own work, regardless of us and our imperfections. But He has told us that blessings are contingent on our obedience to laws.

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

What exactly do you think is involved in "preparing" young men to serve missions?

What you're saying is true. But all you're talking about it the "how" instead of the "what".

The goal being to get young men to go on missions isn't a problem. The how of it is certainly worth considering.

For some there is some exact preparation fir those choosing to serve a mission. For others who are choosing not to its going to be different. Its not a one size fits all and yet my program needs to benefit all. Thus, some activities are going to the temple, doing missionary visits, etc, while at other times its something completely not gospel related to help someone else.

(Btw, why is it that in here we can have normal dialogue without you calling me a false prophet while in other posts you berate me to death? Do you have a split personality?

29 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:
31 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Or whether one became AP or not.

Said the guy who wasn't

Really? Only missionaries who served as AP are allowed to say that being an AP isn't a measure of righteousness? What's everyone else supposed to do, genuflect to you?

8 minutes ago, Grunt said:

What's an AP?

For missionaries.. its Assistant to the President.  A set of missionaries that are the Mission President right hand men as it were.

Like with many leadership callings in the church some people assume it means you are some how "Better" then the rest.  It is bad enough when members think it... it is really bad when the leaders themselves think it

Guest MormonGator
11 minutes ago, Grunt said:

What's an AP?

I asked @Vort the same question, and he explained it to me quite well via private message. Maybe he could do it again in public? I'm 100% confident that @Grunt and I are not the only ones who have this question! 

9 minutes ago, Grunt said:

What's an AP?

The "AP" is the assistant to the (mission) president. There are usually two of them, and they are normally two of the model elders in the mission, people other missionaries can look up to and learn from. At least, that's the theory. Clearly omega was one of these admirable, humble types, quick to defend the truthfulness of the gospel and call people to repentance if they dare to assert that (for example) being called as an AP is not a badge of righteousness. How dare they!

10 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Based on several other posts you’ve made, @paracaidista508, I was under the impression you hadn’t served a mission.

You are confused. The words you quoted were @Fether's. @paracaidista508 is just bad at quoting other posters. 😊

M.

Edited by Maureen

17 hours ago, Fether said:

One of the best zone leaders I ever had was hated in his stake because he had took the virginity of many of the young women. He too did amazing things on his mission and was an amazing leader that taught me so much about what a good missionary is.

4 hours ago, Maureen said:

You are confused. The words you quoted were @Fether's. @paracaidista508 is just bad at quoting other posters. 😊

You are correct @Maureen

15 hours ago, Rob Osborn said:

(Btw, why is it that in here we can have normal dialogue without you calling me a false prophet while in other posts you berate me to death? Do you have a split personality?

When you say something that is false doctrine I will point out that it is false doctrine. I've never claimed everything you say is wrong. I claim that when you say the prophets and apostles are mistaken on a CORE PRINCIPLE OF THE GOSPEL that you are wrong, in the wrong, and driving people from the truth and the gospel. If you say interacting with individuals should be individual that's hardly controversial in any regard.

15 hours ago, Rob Osborn said:

For some there is some exact preparation fir those choosing to serve a mission. For others who are choosing not to its going to be different. Its not a one size fits all and yet my program needs to benefit all. Thus, some activities are going to the temple, doing missionary visits, etc, while at other times its something completely not gospel related to help someone else.

And yet, still the activities that are not related to the gospel have the underlying intent of bringing them closer to the Savior, which if effective, and in time, would lead them to serve missions. No?

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

When you say something that is false doctrine I will point out that it is false doctrine. I've never claimed everything you say is wrong. I claim that when you say the prophets and apostles are mistaken on a CORE PRINCIPLE OF THE GOSPEL that you are wrong, in the wrong, and driving people from the truth and the gospel. If you say interacting with individuals should be individual that's hardly controversial in any regard.

And yet, still the activities that are not related to the gospel have the underlying intent of bringing them closer to the Savior, which if effective, and in time, would lead them to serve missions. No?

No, for some youth, the activities we plan are to invite them to be a part of us knowing they probably wont serve a mission.

14 hours ago, Vort said:

Clearly omega was one of these admirable, humble types, quick to defend the truthfulness of the gospel and call people to repentance if they dare to assert that (for example) being called as an AP is not a badge of righteousness. How dare they!

I never said that. nor implied, in fact quite the opposite. 

In my mission the APs were called in order to keep an eye on them.  I was actually companion to one for a while.  He over slept every day.

Yes, while in the office, life was good.  Movies on Sunday night after a hamburger, of course not all the time.  Those were the days. (ca.1967-69)  Then of course a full P-Day on Monday to do whatever one wanted.  No clothes washing or clean up for us.  We had maids.  Life was very very good.

So in reality, many times P-Day started on Sunday after all missionary work was finished.

2 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:
17 hours ago, Vort said:

Clearly omega was one of these admirable, humble types, quick to defend the truthfulness of the gospel and call people to repentance if they dare to assert that (for example) being called as an AP is not a badge of righteousness. How dare they!

I never said that. nor implied, in fact quite the opposite. 

Hmmmm...

20 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:
20 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Or whether one became AP or not.

Said the guy who wasn't

Yeah, I'll stick with my initial impression.

6 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Fine with me. Your wrong by the way...again.

Let's take your word for it for the sake of moving on and not getting unnecessarily personal... What did you mean then by pointing out that (you presume) I wasn't an AP? Did you have a point? Or was it just meant as an attempted smear?

• pam unfeatured this topic
  • pam featured this topic