Selling Via Womanly Wiles

On 4/13/2018 at 8:40 AM, zil said:

Ah, Marketeers.

Meanwhile, in order to accomplish, ahem, gender equality and stuff, I'm thinking that vendor needs to take a page out of this vendor's playbook.  (Note what the product is, then scroll down to the "From the manufacturer" section.  I'm sure you'll understand which photo I mean.)  I almost bought the product, but the list of what's in the box only didn't include everything in the photos, so.....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HCKQG7G/

Yes, that plaid shirt is just plain uncalled for!

On 4/12/2018 at 8:47 PM, Vort said:

True enough. And Madison Avenue has done a bang-up job (npi) of sexualizing everything from automobiles to beer. (That's A to B...hmmmm..maybe automobiles to zirconium rings?) But sexualizing a laser-driven metal cutter is going above and beyond. And doing so by basically hiring pin-up girls to walk around, with absolutely no real attachment to the product ostensibly being sold, is pretty darn incongruous -- and therefore funny.

The point is to just get someone to pay attention. The model need not necessarily know anything about the product.

Several years ago I was at a swap-meet selling some of my model trains. I invited my future daughter in law, who is quite a number, to help me as I had a lot of tables and needed someone to help watch the merchandise. 

I sold a lot of trains.:cool:

Guest MormonGator

If you've ever had to dirty your hands by working sales (especially in a larger city) you learn very quickly to do whatever it takes to close a deal. When your wife and children depend on you selling things in order to eat, you'll certainly send a woman out in a swimsuit or a alluring dress if it gets attention and hopefully, increases sales. You want to hold to a certain line, but when your livelihood depends strictly on commission, you do what you have to sometimes. 

4 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

The point is to just get someone to pay attention. The model need not necessarily know anything about the product.

Several years ago I was at a swap-meet selling some of my model trains. I invited my future daughter in law, who is quite a number, to help me as I had a lot of tables and needed someone to help watch the merchandise. 

A helper at your table who just happens to be young and attractive is lucky. Swimsuit models prancing around to attract attention to a metal cutter is shameless.

15 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

Was she wearing Daisy dukes and a tied off short button up shirt with no buttons actually buttoned?  No?  Then that's not the same thing.  In a profession and entire industry dominated by males, about 1/2 of all the booths had a female in the group.  Most of them were very attractive women.  But they were wearing appropriate business attire.

The outfits of these women were simply above and beyond.

I'm not ignorant to the phrase "sex sells."  But there are some realms where it simply makes no sense.  Yeah, it caught my attention.  But it automatically gave me an "offense reaction" that really pushed down the Ethos and Pathos to the point that the Logos had to be top notch to get me to want to deal with them.  And since there was nothing special about this brand over any other brand, I just wanted to get away from these people as fast as I could.

Edited by Guest