We are so right!

Sunday21

I don't know that it really supports our Word of Wisdom. We insist on complete abstinence. As reported, the study still suggests that some is good, and that the negative effects of alcohol are only felt above a certain level -- the article suggests 100 g of alcohol per week (about 5 glasses of wine or 5 pints of beer). It seems to be supporting an "in moderation" approach, and not our "complete abstinence" approach.

37 minutes ago, MrShorty said:

I don't know that it really supports our Word of Wisdom. We insist on complete abstinence. As reported, the study still suggests that some is good, and that the negative effects of alcohol are only felt above a certain level -- the article suggests 100 g of alcohol per week (about 5 glasses of wine or 5 pints of beer). It seems to be supporting an "in moderation" approach, and not our "complete abstinence" approach.

But many people can’t do abstinence with alcohol. And even very low levels of alcohol can damage a fetus. I don’t care! We are still right! Hmm. Hmmm. Fingers in ears! 

1 hour ago, MrShorty said:

Good, as in... does not hurt?  Or has benefits?  2 totally different things.

Like, a doctor says... take 20g of alcohol a day for 5 days for your nutrition is different from saying drink 100g of alcohol a week if you must but if you go over that it's going to cause detriment to your health.

57 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

But many people can’t do abstinence with alcohol. And even very low levels of alcohol can damage a fetus. I don’t care! We are still right! Hmm. Hmmm. Fingers in ears! 

The title of the article explains it Drinking an extra glass of wine 'will shorten your life by 30 minutes. We are not "right" about anything

We don't obey the word of wisdom because the things in it are bad for us.  We do it because God told us to.

35 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

We don't obey the word of wisdom because the things in it are bad for us.  We do it because God told us to.

Errrm... I don't completely agree with this one.

I don't think God commanded us to stay away from alcohol for no other reason but to test our obedience.  Alcohol is bad for us.  How it's bad for us - we leave to faith.  God says so, therefore, it must be.

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

@Sunday21, this article is not talking about abstinence with alcohol, it's talking about drinking over the recommended limit. You may believe you're right about not consuming alcohol, but this is not the article to use to back up that claim.

M.

57 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I don't think God commanded us to stay away from alcohol for no other reason but to test our obedience.  Alcohol is bad for us.  How it's bad for us - we leave to faith.  God says so, therefore, it must be.

Actually the didn't the word of wisdom is not given by way of commandment. 

Our teetotaling leaders made it policy in the 1920's to prohibit the consumption of it in totality.

Edited by omegaseamaster75

23 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Actually the didn't the word of wisdom is not given by way of commandment. 

Our teetotaling leaders made it policy in the 1920's to prohibit the consumption of it in totality.

The Word of Wisdom is now by way of commandment. I am not sure why people want to play this trivial game of "not given by way of commandment" when our teetotaling leaders made it a commandment through inspiration from the Lord, meaning God commanded it through a principle of -- Article of Faith #9.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.healthcentral.com/amp/article/alcohol-consumption-do-the-benefits-outweigh-the-risks

this article is good (in the sense that it agrees with my belief ;) )The biggest thing I take from any discussion about “health benefits” and consequences of drinking alcohol is this. 

Many benefit can be gained by doing or eating something else.

The consequences are clear and unavoidable. 

So essentially would you rather benefit from a longer life and also be at risk of cancer, weight gain, brain damage and heart disease.

OR

you can exercise and eat healthy and get the same benefits and no consequences.

1 hour ago, Anddenex said:

The Word of Wisdom is now by way of commandment. I am not sure why people want to play this trivial game of "not given by way of commandment" when our teetotaling leaders made it a commandment through inspiration from the Lord, meaning God commanded it through a principle of -- Article of Faith #9.

No one is playing a trivial game. I can read the scripture same as you and it says what it says. They (leadership) changed by policy how we as members practice and follow the word of wisdom they didn't change the word of wisdom, they didn't change the standard works.  They can change it back or add to it as needed. You want to use the 9th article of faith as your substantiation fine with me. I am entitled to my opinion on the subject.

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Agreed.

Sometimes God gives us random rules just for obedience's sake I suppose. But typically there is a reason.

Guest MormonGator
19 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

I am entitled to my opinion on the subject.

You are entitled to your own opinion, for sure. But no one is entitled to their own facts. 

13 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

No one is playing a trivial game. I can read the scripture same as you and it says what it says. They (leadership) changed by policy how we as members practice and follow the word of wisdom they didn't change the word of wisdom, they didn't change the standard works.  They can change it back or add to it as needed. You want to use the 9th article of faith as your substantiation fine with me. I am entitled to my opinion on the subject.

FWIW, Ezra Taft Benson disagrees with your opinion.

"In 1851, President Brigham Young proposed to the general conference of the Church that all Saints formally covenant to keep the Word of Wisdom. This proposal was unanimously upheld by the membership of the Church. Since that day, the revelation has been a binding commandment on all Church members."

So does N. Eldon Tanner

"Though science has proven that the use of tea, coffee, tobacco, drugs, and alcohol are detrimental to the body, the world does not have the Word of Wisdom. We are different from the world in that the Lord has given us the Word of Wisdom as a commandment, with a tremendous blessing and promise as recorded in the 89th section of the Doctrine and Covenants."

and Thomas S Monson

"In 1833 the Lord revealed to the Prophet Joseph Smith a plan for healthy living. That plan is found in the 89th section of the Doctrine and Covenants and is known as the Word of Wisdom. It gives specific direction regarding the food we eat, and it prohibits the use of substances which are harmful to our bodies.

Those who are obedient to the Lord’s commandments and who faithfully observe the Word of Wisdom are promised particular blessings, among which are good health and added physical stamina."

and Robert D Hales

"As we understand the challenge of repenting, we appreciate the blessings of the Holy Ghost to guide our agency and Heavenly Father, who gives us commandments and strengthens and sustains us in keeping them. We also understand how obedience to the commandments ultimately protects our agency.

For example, when we hearken to the Word of Wisdom, we escape the captivity of poor health and addiction to substances that literally rob us of our ability to act for ourselves."

Etc., etc., etc.

It is true. You have entitled to your opinion. It doesn't seem to be an opinion shared by those who have the authority and position to actually say what is and isn't a commandment.

4 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

This......the reason, it's pure speculation I hope someday we will find out.

I don't think it's "pure" speculation that alcohol...literally, straight up alcohol...is bad for us. It's one thing to debate the merits of wine. Alcohol is poison. It does what it does because it is poison. Tobacco pretty much the same.

I'll grant the coffee and tea side of it is much more speculative as to the why. But alcohol and tobacco...not too much of a stretch there.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

I don't think I am making anything up, if I am I am happy to be wrong.

Not saying you are, just making a general statement that while everyone is entitled to their own views, facts are sort of objective and don't care about yours, @Anddenexs, or my personal opinion. 

2 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

It is true. You are entitled to your opinion. It doesn't seem to be an opinion shared by those who have the authority and position to actually say what is and isn't a commandment.

I don't have to agree with them either. I coventanted to obey the WOW and I do. The whats whys, and reasons that we do it are a mystery to me, other than God said so. 

24 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Article of Faith #9 is a principle of revelation by which we see throughout human history when God interacted with his children. We all can read the scriptures. We can all see how God will introduce and then command. 

Yes, it is a trivial game when members quote the original introduction to the Word of Wisdom, while ignoring the process of it becoming a commandment by quoting previous scripture. It would be similar to the argument in the New Testament regarding circumcision and what they ate. Your quoting scripture that has been updated, revealed line-upon-line, which shouldn't be hard to recognize.

But yes, you are welcome to your opinion, which is exactly what it is. The fact though, the Word of Wisdom is a commandment, which has been the process since the beginning with God and his children -- Article of Faith #9.

Guest MormonGator

Back to the OP- 

This is how "studies" work-If we like what the results are, they must be true! If we don't like what the results are, or it goes against our religious or political beliefs,  then it's clearly false. After all, if it disagrees with what think, how can it possibly true?  Classic confirmation bias. Next week, when a "study" comes out that a glass of wine a day is perfectly fine, no one here will believe it. 

The truth is that most of these studies are flawed in some way, no matter what they say. 

Edited by MormonGator

35 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

...So does N. Eldon Tanner

"Though science has proven that the use of tea, coffee, tobacco, drugs, and alcohol are detrimental to the body, the world does not have the Word of Wisdom...

N. Eldon Tanner does not back up this 1976 statement with any article showing that science has indeed proven this.

We know in the 21st century that coffee and tea do have some health benefits. And like with anything, moderation is the key.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/black-tea-uses-and-risks

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2017/08/31/the-good-and-the-bad-news-about-coffee/

M.

7 minutes ago, Maureen said:

N. Eldon Tanner does not back up this 1976 statement with any article showing that science has indeed proven this.

We know in the 21st century that coffee and tea do have some health benefits. And like with anything, moderation is the key.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/black-tea-uses-and-risks

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2017/08/31/the-good-and-the-bad-news-about-coffee/

M.

Not exactly the part of the quote I was referencing or care about. So I'm not sure how to respond other than saying.... Okay.