Garments

Grunt

23 minutes ago, Maureen said:

Can I add two more S's?

Soaking in the tub and/or

Showering

I think through this whole thread no one has mentioned these two activities that I would hope are practiced multiple times a week. 😊

Unless I'm wrong and Mormons actually bath with their garments on.

M.

If it starts with an ‘S’, you can remove your garments.

Sailing

Singing

Sword Fighting

Sky Diving

Acivities like showering, shoveling, and shanking require the proper wearing. This is due to the ‘SH’ sound, which in other languages is portrayed differently than just an ‘S’ and and ‘H’.

Likewise, activities like Circusing, Tsunamiing, and ceilinging can all be done without proper wearing.

The lines get a little blurred when we start introducing Zooing, xylophoning, and Zesty dancing.

1 hour ago, Fether said:

If it starts with an ‘S’, you can remove your garments.

Sailing

Singing

Sword Fighting

Sky Diving

Acivities like showering, shoveling, and shanking require the proper wearing. This is due to the ‘SH’ sound, which in other languages is portrayed differently than just an ‘S’ and and ‘H’.

Likewise, activities like Circusing, Tsunamiing, and ceilinging can all be done without proper wearing.

The lines get a little blurred when we start introducing Zooing, xylophoning, and Zesty dancing.

Skydiving season is here last weekend!  YAY!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/14/2018 at 6:07 PM, Grunt said:

I probably shouldn't even post about this since I know nothing about garments, but the talk about exercise certainly interests me.  I run and/or lift weights every work day.  After, I shower and change in a very crowded locker room.  Do they make exercise garments?  Running long distances in improper clothes can be bloody and miserable.  Changing in a crowded locker room?  That's not exactly keeping your garments private.

I take my garments off for working out (lifting weights etc.), for swimming and doing Taekwondo. I also take them off for intimacy with my wife. 

When in the locker room I am descrete, being careful to let them be seen as little as possible.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.  Fascinating.  In all the years I was Mormon, including all the years I held the Melchezidek Priesthood, I never "received" any garments. 

I will be meeting with my Bishop later today and I will ask him about this.  Something doesn't seem right....

53 minutes ago, pwrfrk said:

Hmmm.  Fascinating.  In all the years I was Mormon, including all the years I held the Melchezidek Priesthood, I never "received" any garments.

Well, if you were ordained an Elder, but never went to the temple to receive your endowment, that would be why.

28 minutes ago, zil said:

Well, if you were ordained an Elder, but never went to the temple to receive your endowment, that would be why.

I think he may be making a snarky comment as an attempt at humor.  We don't "receive" garments.  We have to buy them kinda thing.

5 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I think he may be making a snarky comment as an attempt at humor.  We don't "receive" garments.  We have to buy them kinda thing.

Ah.  Some humor can be too dry - especially when delivered a month after I've forgotten the thread existed. ;)

Dry humor, yes.  Humor in this case, no.  No, there is no attempt at humor here.  I am serious.  My Bishop couldn't answer me on why, because he wasn't there.

I will say that it was beyond nauseating to see young men get ordained, then they get their Temple Recommend, and these are young men that I and others knew then that were not chaste, a couple of them had alcohol problems, and even spoke poorly of the church.  They still went on their missions. 

If I buy one, that's fine.  Fact remains the same- even though I followed the WoW to the letter, even though I did everything expected by ward bishopric and stake leaders, I still wasn't good enough.  I simply do not understand.  As for timing of my replies, I have a life outside of the internet.  And that should scare EVERYONE!  lol!

@pwrfrk, I guess I don't understand what exactly you're saying or what conversation is to be had now.

Yes, unworthy people end up deceiving and doing things they ought not.  But this isn't about them, or shouldn't be.  I've said all I know on your original comment about priesthood vs temple ordinances - though it's just a guess - I also wasn't there.

If you want to receive temple ordinances, that should be something you can work on with your bishop, maybe the EQP.  Sorry, not sure what else to say.

41 minutes ago, pwrfrk said:

Dry humor, yes.  Humor in this case, no.  No, there is no attempt at humor here.  I am serious.  My Bishop couldn't answer me on why, because he wasn't there.

I will say that it was beyond nauseating to see young men get ordained, then they get their Temple Recommend, and these are young men that I and others knew then that were not chaste, a couple of them had alcohol problems, and even spoke poorly of the church.  They still went on their missions. 

If I buy one, that's fine.  Fact remains the same- even though I followed the WoW to the letter, even though I did everything expected by ward bishopric and stake leaders, I still wasn't good enough.  I simply do not understand.  As for timing of my replies, I have a life outside of the internet.  And that should scare EVERYONE!  lol!

Ok, I need some clarification.  Have you been able to honestly answer all the questions on the temple recommend interview in the appropriate manner and were still denied?  That doesn't make sense.

What are you saying?  This "I still wasn't good enough" is a vague condition.  Could you elaborate?

On 5/11/2018 at 10:47 PM, BJ64 said:

When in the locker room I am descrete, being careful to let them be seen as little as possible.  

I assume from context you meant discreet.  :-)  Although technically one would also be discrete.  Discretely discreet?  Discreetly discrete?  Are they the same.....?

I do the same when in a public changing space.  Interestingly, I'm more self-conscious about my garments and changing in a public locker room when I am in the Salt Lake area than when doing so in my Midwestern locale.  Much more so.  Perhaps it's an assumption that folks in Utah, member of the Church or not, are more familiar with garments while elsewhere they are simply seen as another style of underwear.

1 hour ago, hzdbl5 said:

I assume from context you meant discreet.  🙂 Although technically one would also be discrete.  Discretely discreet?  Discreetly discrete?  Are they the same.....?

I do the same when in a public changing space.  Interestingly, I'm more self-conscious about my garments and changing in a public locker room when I am in the Salt Lake area than when doing so in my Midwestern locale.  Much more so.  Perhaps it's an assumption that folks in Utah, member of the Church or not, are more familiar with garments while elsewhere they are simply seen as another style of underwear.

You are correct. I used the wrong word. 

Where I’m at I see a lot of garments in the locker room. Many men are not discreet. I put on my bottoms then quickly put on my pants. I take off both layers of shirts at once then I put them back on at the same time not separating  them. Other guys dress fully in their garments before putting anything over them. I’ve even seen guys standing at a sink shaving wearing only their garments. I would stand at the sink naked rather than in my garments only. 

Hello Grunt,

My wife is a garment wearer and she doesn't use them during these events:

-Exercising

-Swimming for pleasure or exercise

-Love Making

-Showering

She says they are are promise between her and God and she is very proud to wear them. She said they act as a holy protection against evil too.

I admire her for her beliefs and I imagine wearing them around is more of a privilege than an inconvenience. Also if it is required by a promise you made to God then perhaps people should wear them. Just my opinion looking in

Best wishes

• 8 months later...

I am posing a question to anyone involved in the development of the LDS garment. Why is the women's garment cut so low that a third of a sister's back is revealed? This seems contrary to the modesty we are taught in the doctrine. Secondly, if so accepted among the female garment then why is the men's not made with the same neckline? Many times I cannot where pullover V-necks because the garment shows when these are much higher than what the accepted women's garment neckline is. This doubled standard in the sister's garment vs. the brethren's has really perplexed me. Does anyone else see the double standard here? Where the sister's are instructed in modesty dress the Church allows them to where more skin revealing necklines than the brethren.

How is a third of a woman's back revealed if she has clothes on over the garment?  I'm just not sure where this double standard is coming in.  A woman's body is different than a man's body in what needs to be covered in the front.  

55 minutes ago, Nighttiger said:

I am posing a question to anyone involved in the development of the LDS garment. Why is the women's garment cut so low that a third of a sister's back is revealed? This seems contrary to the modesty we are taught in the doctrine. Secondly, if so accepted among the female garment then why is the men's not made with the same neckline? Many times I cannot where pullover V-necks because the garment shows when these are much higher than what the accepted women's garment neckline is. This doubled standard in the sister's garment vs. the brethren's has really perplexed me. Does anyone else see the double standard here? Where the sister's are instructed in modesty dress the Church allows them to where more skin revealing necklines than the brethren.

Ah...the perplexities of man's understandings. Between cultural trends and expectations we have sort of invented these standards in my opinion. In dreams I have seen passed ones wearing white raiment and they are both very well dressed and covered alike.