Agnostic Converted Newbie

alee

Hey! It’s a pleasure to meet you all.

So I’m fairly new to the Church - and by new I mean I’m a fresh convert baptised on March 31st and came to know the power of the Holy Ghost just a little over two months ago now. It’s been a whirlwind, to say the least!

I’m nineteen years old and my religious background was brief dealings in Christianity as a child. None of my family were mormon, nor did we have any ancestors who walked such a path. So I guess you could say I’m somewhat of a trendsetter, haha! 

I’ve struggled with anxiety and depression all my life. One day, after feeling suicidal, I thought to myself, “if I wake up early tomorrow, I’ll go to Church.” Suffice to say, the next day I awoke with a start at 6am. I was going to church. 

And I knew which church it would be. Something drew me into the LDS chapel. I was curious and, though all I’d known of them previously was rooted in negativity, I wanted to give them a chance and see if I could find something in there. The moment I walked in, it was like a wash of love flooded over me, stole away every lingering drop of sadness that still pooled within my chest. The rest is history.

I took lessons with the missionaries, bombarded them with questions, found peace upon reading the Book of Mormon and praying to Heavenly Father - I still don’t understand everything, and sometimes I worry and have my doubts, but I’ve no regrets about committing my life to the Lord. I honestly do believe the Book of Mormon to be God’s word. I suppose the rest will come with study, prayer and patience.

Anyhow! Apart from my testimony, what to say about me...Well, I love my friends dearly, and I hope to go to University someday to major in Creative Writing. I enjoy spending a ridiculous amount of hours watching movies and TV Shows; I’m somewhat of a nerd, so if you ever want to geek out about Star Wars, Harry Potter, games or anime, then I’m your gal. I also adore classic literature. If you’re ever after book recommendations then I would be happy to oblige!

I’m hoping to do a mission next year, if possible. So I’m trying my hardest to spend this first year preparing myself and saving up. I want to, above all else, share the happiness and peace within that the gospel has given me.

Don’t be afraid to approach and send me a message! I’d love to get to know you guys and make friends!

Ciao! 

Welcome!!! I was in much the same boat as you at the age of 19. I had married at 17 and just separated from my husband. I too had been suicidal. Heavenly Father reconnected me with a friend from High School that I knew had joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She invited me to dinner and a singles Family Home Evening Group at her home. I asked questions but only to find fault. I was a devout Lutheran. When the Elders said that it would be easier to answer my questions if I took the missionary lessons, I felt trapped, but then decided I would. I felt that I could look my dear friend in the eye and tell her that I had listened, read, pondered and prayed and that I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that she had been deceived.  I wanted to save her soul and bring her back to the Lutheran Church.  

Three weeks later, I was baptized. Fifteen months after that I was on a mission. Forty Five years later, I have a husband of forty-four years, four grown children and five grandchildren who bring me joy beyond measure.  My greatest advice is to remain true to your baptismal covenants, doubt your doubts and not your fears and prayerfully seek a testimony of the divine origin of any calling extended to you so that you might know it came from Heavenly Father and then serve with all your might.

I send you my love, 

3 hours ago, alee said:

None of my family were mormon, nor did we have any ancestors who walked such a path. So I guess you could say I’m somewhat of a trendsetter, haha!

The term is "pioneer". You're a pioneer, alee.

Thanks for your beautiful testimony, and welcome to the list!