California state split

Fether

Here's a radio interview with two people who have a more critical view of the split.

Regardless of the ballot results, splitting a state requires the approval of both the state legislature and the US congress. The proposal has Silicon Valley/San Francisco in NorCal, Orange County in SoCal, and Hollywood/LA in Cal. The representation in the House will probably be the same, but Senate will go from having just 2 senators to 6. Comparing the population density with the presidential election, I'm guessing the new group will definitely have 4 D senators, maybe even 6.

Within California itself there's a whole mess of state debt, water management, and economic balance (I know what SV and LA export to other states, but Orange County doesn't really do oranges anymore, and if NorCal and SoCal are both largely dependent on agriculture, will there be enough diversity in the produce to prevent the 2 new states from racing to the bottom?). But I don't have a dog in that fight, so I'll let those with some skin in the game duke it out.

Guest MormonGator
13 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

It’s fun to talk about, but it will never happen.  Urbanites in San Francisco and Los Angeles quite enjoy lording it over their colonies in the more rural parts of the state.

I agree. In the very rare case it does happen, it'll be like Brexit. The residents will vote for it, and absolutely nothing will happen afterwards. 

I'm in favor of the split but not along the lines which they have posted.  The biggest question is whether the San Francisco Bay area would affect North California.  I don't mind the split, but I'd rather have a Central Coastal California which includes San Francisco and Los Angeles in their OWN STATE, hence California (New) would retain ALL those who are urban and liberal.  At the same time it frees up Northern California (pretty even between liberal and conservative without San Francisco) and Southern California the freedom to actually VOTE as what the people want rather than being completely roughshod over by the populations of the Cities on the Coast.

3 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Don’t cities tend to support the rest of the state/province? More people & companies so more tax revenue?

Yes, that is true.  But it is difficult to determine if it is a net positive balance.  Cities also tend to attract more crime.  They require more resources for utilities, road maintenance, more court disputes, more requirements for fire, medical, social services...

They bring in more tax revenue.  But they also cost more tax money to keep the system going.

8 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Yes, that is true.  But it is difficult to determine if it is a net positive balance.  Cities also tend to attract more crime.  They require more resources for utilities, road maintenance, more court disputes, more requirements for fire, medical, social services...

They bring in more tax revenue.  But they also cost more tax money to keep the system going.

True. 

http://www.foxnews.com/real-estate/2018/04/19/condemned-california-home-with-holes-in-roof-mildew-sells-for-1-23-million.html

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-million-dollar-condemned-house-20180418-story.html%3foutputType=amp

Not to mention that many of the supposedly large tax revenues are being earned due to massive inflation rates. 

15 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Don’t cities tend to support the rest of the state/province? More people & companies so more tax revenue?

If we put San Fran and Los Angeles in the same state (New), and the rest of California in their own states, the other two (Northern and Southern) still have cities which can support them.  San Diego is actually a decent sized city (and a military city on top of that) and Sacramento (pop ~495K) is bigger than Boise or Salt Lake city which are capitals and the biggest cities in their states, so is actually a decent sized city on it's own.

This kind of makes me laugh. In Florida there is a growing effort to split the state as well. But what is triggering this is the extreme conservative movement in Tallahassee that is trying to force rural politics on the mostly urban population from I-4 south. Which pays the bills for the more rural conservative areas of the northern region and panhandle.

Without Orlando, miami, st Pete, palm beach the northern region would find it pretty hard to pave their roads and have low taxes and no state income taxes. The I-4 south region covers most of the economic bills for the extreme conservatives to have their cake and eat it too.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could become more understanding of each other's needs and look to find common ground. It might even mean both sides of the political spectrum doesn't always get everything they want every time. 

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, raven2 said:

This kind of makes me laugh. In Florida there is a growing effort to split the state as well. But what is triggering this is the extreme conservative movement in Tallahassee that is trying to force rural politics on the mostly urban population from I-4 south. Which pays the bills for the more rural conservative areas of the northern region and panhandle.

Without Orlando, miami, st Pete, palm beach the northern region would find it pretty hard to pave their roads and have low taxes and no state income taxes. The I-4 south region covers most of the economic bills for the extreme conservatives to have their cake and eat it too.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could become more understanding of each other's needs and look to find common ground. It might even mean both sides of the political spectrum doesn't always get everything they want every time. 

I live in Florida too, and I've heard very little about it. In fact, nothing at all.

It'll never happen. I live in a very rural part, and you are absolutely right about everything else. 

Edited by MormonGator

6 hours ago, raven2 said:

This reminds me of 3rd Nephi 7:2

And the people were divided one against another; and they did separate one from another into tribes, every man according to his family and his kindred and friends; and thus they did destroy the government of the land.