Can I still serve a mission if I broken the Law of Chastity?

Persona

So the past two years I’ve broken the law of Chastity with 4 different guys... im really ashamed to say that but I need help. I went to my bishop about a year ago and repented for everything and I finished the repentance process. It was by far the hardest thing I’ve been through and it hurt so bad, I know my actions come with consequences, but because of that situation I’ve changed for the better and I’ve truly became converted to the Lord, and realized how important this commandment is. I’ve been wanting to serve a mission every since the age changed for woman. I still have about 2 years until I’m old enough to serve. My bishop said I most likely won’t be able to go and he didn’t give me much detail. It’s been killing me because I want to serve so bad. I made a very huge mistake and I’m scared it will ruin my chance to go on a mission. Please help and I’d appreciate no judgment because this is still very sensitive for me to talk about, thank you. 

Welcome, @Persona!  I don't know the answer - this is very much in the hands of priesthood leaders and according to policy.  But I do know that you should prepare to serve a mission whether or not you may be called to serve a full time mission.  First, preparing will ensure that's not a delay in case you are called.  Second, preparing will help you to be an effective member missionary - and those are needed everywhere all the time.

You've done well to repent - I can only imagine what a struggle that was.  Don't give up the ground you've gained!  Keep working to come closer to the Lord, no matter what else happens.  If it happens that you can't serve a full time mission, please don't doubt the Lord's ability to use you in other ways which can be just as effective.

If you're talking about actual intercourse.  No.

If you're talking about all acts short of that.  It depends.

It sounds like you've already asked your bishop.

9 hours ago, Persona said:

My bishop said I most likely won’t be able to go

So, why ask others?  Since you quote him as saying "most likely" it sounds like you didn't actually have intercourse.  So, it's not definite.  But when you've gone "almost all the way" with four different boys, it will take some prayer and consideration.

Still, as long as you didn't actually have intercourse, much can change in the next 2 years if you continue on a path of repentance.

Edited by Guest

I went to my bishop about a year ago and repented for everything and I finished the repentance process. It was by far the hardest thing I’ve been through and it hurt so bad, I know my actions come with consequences, but because of that situation I’ve changed for the better and I’ve truly became converted to the Lord, and realized how important this commandment is. I’ve been wanting to serve a mission every since the age changed for woman. I still have about 2 years until I’m old enough to serve. 

This ^ is freaking awesome to hear.  Keep up the good work.

Prepare today to enter the temple and serve a mission.  I'm not a crystal ball to tell you for sure whether or not you'll be able to serve an 18 month mission.  But I do know without a shadow of a doubt, that if you keep nurturing the fire you've shown here you will be an excellent life-time missionary.  I myself wanted to serve a 18 month mission my entire life-- I prepped for nearly 20 years (this was before the age-change), but when I turned 21, my health was not in a situation where I was able to serve that 18 month badge wearing mission.  Still, in the decade since I have been SO blessed from my preparation and my deepening testimony.  God does marvelous things, even with the least expected of instruments.  

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

If you're talking about actual intercourse.  No.
. . .
Still, as long as you didn't actually have intercourse. . .

Based on what I understand, and have witnessed, I disagree with this sentiment.  I personally know missionaries who had full intercourse and repented and were able to serve.  So long as there was never a marriage, pregnancy, or abortion, my understanding is that they are still eligible to serve once the repentance process is complete and they are deemed worthy.

BTW, @Persona, welcome!  I wish you the best and hope your Stake President will correct your Bishop and give you the opportunity to serve, so long as you remain clean and fully forsake your sins!

Edited by person0

So the past two years I’ve broken the law of Chastity with 4 different guys... im really ashamed to say that but I need help. I went to my bishop about a year ago and repented for everything and I finished the repentance process. It was by far the hardest thing I’ve been through and it hurt so bad, I know my actions come with consequences, but because of that situation I’ve changed for the better and I’ve truly became converted to the Lord, and realized how important this commandment is. I’ve been wanting to serve a mission every since the age changed for woman. I still have about 2 years until I’m old enough to serve. My bishop said I most likely won’t be able to go and he didn’t give me much detail. It’s been killing me because I want to serve so bad. I made a very huge mistake and I’m scared it will ruin my chance to go on a mission. Please help and I’d appreciate no judgment because this is still very sensitive for me to talk about, thank you. 

The short answer is it depends, stay on the straight and narrow....

It's case by case, but I would say if you stay clean and prepare in every way that you can there is a very good chance you will go.  The bar was raised years ago but I have heard of missionaries going that have had problems in the past like this.  I think gone are the days that you can just wait the automatic year but there is still hope.   I would fast pray and work hard and seek the Lords will - If he tells you to go on the mission, two years from now he will tell your bishop and stake president the same thing.  You may find in two years that you meet someone special and decide to get married in the temple (which would be more important anyway).

15 or so years ago I knew of someone who was married, had kids, got divorced, gave up the kids fully to the wife and then felt like he should go on a mission.  Everyone would tell him no up front but the spirit changed everyone's mind - the kid served a mission.  I had never heard of such a thing and thought it was crazy but it happened.  

Also, it's more important that you are worthy to go to the temple and one day be sealed there. than it is to go on a mission but missions are awesome and you should go if you can.  

5 hours ago, Carborendum said:

If you're talking about actual intercourse.  No

Based on these questions for prospective missionaries, I do not think this is true.

The law of chastity
In reference to the law of chastity, have you always lived in accordance with what has been discussed? If not, how long ago did the transgression(s) occur? What have you done to repent 15137_000_letter.pdf#page=5

7 minutes ago, pam said:

This is going to get extremely confusing since we also have someone with a username of Person0.

Persona, as the name suggests, is a person. Person0, as the name auggests, is just a zero, a nothing. No confusion at all except perhaps for elderly site administrators.

I propose that @person0 come out of the 1950s and embrace color, thus making him more distinguishable from the default-avatar folk:

personwho.jpg.a6364c230beb04317832f64903fad3d1.jpg

(Blue is simply a proposed color, whatever he wishes would do - though pink may confuse some traditionalists (but a similar tactic worked for @Vort, so, whatever).)

My alternate suggestion is to require newbies to use an avatar - or at least choose from a selection of differently colored silhouettes.

19 hours ago, Persona said:

Welcome!  I'm so proud of you for being courageous, confessing to your bishop, and repenting.  I know from experience that takes a lot of guts.

I second the recommendation to focus on preparing to receive your own endowments, which is something that would need to happen before you serve a mission.  When I served as a temple worker, I remember one of the temple matrons instructing us on how important it was for the youth to prepare for receiving their own endowments.  Your mission will last 18-24 months, but the covenants you make in the temple will last a lifetime.  I was at a meeting where missionaries who had completed their service bore their testimonies, and felt the impression that I should serve a mission.  I was excited until I realized that financial obligations (student loans) made the logistics of serving a mission impossible.  Expressing my disappointment to one of my best friends, she suggested maybe it was just the Lord's way of telling me it was time to receive my own endowment.  She was right, and I went almost every week after that.  About six months after I went through for the first time, I was called as a temple ordinance worker.  For about 18 months, I assisted five sessions every week (2 on Tuesdays and 3 on Saturdays).  When I was released, I realized that serving as a temple ordinance worker had been my mission, even though the Church records might not report it as such.

I'll message you some links to Church resources that helped me prepare to receive my own endowment.

1 hour ago, pam said:

This is going to get extremely confusing since we also have someone with a username of Person0.

I was thinking the same thing.  There is no relation.

1 hour ago, askandanswer said:

Persona, as the name suggests, is a person. Person0, as the name auggests, is just a zero, a nothing. No confusion at all except perhaps for elderly site administrators.

I feel so loved.

1 hour ago, askandanswer said:

Wow just wow.  @person0 you are more than just a zero to me.  You are #1 in my book.  Of course that is just above a zero numerically....but you know what I mean.  Don't listen to the man from down under.