Leadership and Technology

Aw, Gator, pity you already gave your presentation.  I could have sent you my cool PowerPoint I did.  Here it is in a nutshell - basically, the internet is a dangerous place, and it is also a great boon and blessing to the church and it's members.  It is a "both-and" situation, not an "either-or" situation.

The bad side of social media:

image.png.27ee64b712855d7290f9d902b7fa539e.pngimage.png.9e70db67873a2186226680b6bd316bbd.pngimage.png.9740934d5553a49a260da23798036f78.png

image.png.8274488c1b2f3cb49641717f62d6d409.pngimage.png.f5677e75aa3e262125ec4e168c0bb92e.png

"I raise an apostolic voice of warning about the potentially stifling, suffocating, suppressing, and constraining impact of some kinds of cyberspace interactions and experiences upon our souls."
"My heart aches when a young couple ... experiences marital difficulties because of the addicting effect of excessive video gaming or online socializing."
- Elder Bednar, 2009

"You can also view material on the Internet, on purpose or by accident, that will poison your spirit and mind, jeopardize your safety or your family’s, or get you into legal or financial trouble." - New Era Article, 2005

"parts of that online world are dangerous. Some Internet neighborhoods attract people and businesses you and your family need to avoid. Some people will want to steal your money and threaten your safety. Without parental guidance and supervision, children can put themselves in physical danger or encounter materials that are spiritual and intellectual poison." - Ensign Article, 2001

The good side of social media:

image.png.e24042a2ddb8ae76a618ab3fbd0755bd.pngimage.png.9e7067989d8fb51e57d5ece85374522d.png

image.png.6f00d9cb5a39adb49498ea3c1190f140.png image.png.7bac2eae5143d30644d7a129915342a3.png

image.png.6085f5faa9592e5ffde8e5a366f36110.pngimage.png.246fd943d7ff5c740bcc974c820167ef.png

"we invite the young and the old, the adults, the young adults, the youth, and the children everywhere to join with us in this exciting new work by becoming Facebook friends with the missionaries in your area on your own computers and sharing their gospel messages online"
- L. Tom Perry, 2013

"All of these advancements are part of the Lord hastening His work in the latter days.  I believe the time has come for us as disciples of Christ to use these inspired tools appropriately and more effectively to testify ... and to accomplish the Lord’s work."
- Elder Bednar, 2014

image.png

image.png

Edited by NeuroTypical

22 hours ago, hadl said:

I am interested in how some of y'all use technology in your callings. I was in the previous EQ Presidency and was called again to serve in the "new" EQ Presidency, and we relied heavily on Google products to keep, share, and track information. In the current transition, the ease of use of these products is making it almost seamless due to majority of our information already being saved and shared to two of the three in the new Presidency.

Do you have a similar story, use anything different, have an idea you would like to try? 

I can discuss my 2 previous callings, both I treated the same way. 

I created a dedicated email associated with that calling only. I use gmail. This allowed me to setup Google docs for all of the items we wanted to discuss. I created folders for Agendas, Activities, home teaching, Callings, etc, etc.

I shared these with the other members in the leadership role with me.

We always had an agenda which was updated and added to as we went through it weekly. All had access so if they had an idea they could add it to the agenda. there was no shuffling through papers to find out information as I had links in the agenda that would take them to the folders that had this information.

We used the email address I set up to communicate this solves 2 problems. 1. As a dedicated email everyone does not need my personal email address I can keep it private. 2. when they get an email they know that it is church related and are more likely to respond and communicate through it. 

When I get released the new person coming in gets a email address, and has access to all of the underlying information and work that we have done during our tenure.  They don't have to reinvent the wheel they get to pick right up and there is no down time for new leadership to adjust. 

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Aw, Gator, pity you already gave your presentation.  I could have sent you my cool PowerPoint I did.  Here it is in a nutshell - basically, the internet is a dangerous place, and it is also a great boon and blessing to the church and it's members.  It is a "both-and" situation, not an "either-or" situation.

The bad side of social media:

image.png.27ee64b712855d7290f9d902b7fa539e.pngimage.png.9e70db67873a2186226680b6bd316bbd.pngimage.png.9740934d5553a49a260da23798036f78.png

image.png.8274488c1b2f3cb49641717f62d6d409.pngimage.png.f5677e75aa3e262125ec4e168c0bb92e.png

The good side of social media:

image.png.e24042a2ddb8ae76a618ab3fbd0755bd.pngimage.png.9e7067989d8fb51e57d5ece85374522d.png

image.png.6f00d9cb5a39adb49498ea3c1190f140.png image.png.7bac2eae5143d30644d7a129915342a3.png

image.png.6085f5faa9592e5ffde8e5a366f36110.pngimage.png.246fd943d7ff5c740bcc974c820167ef.png

image.png

image.png

Day late and a dollar short pal. 

:P

19 hours ago, hadl said:

I disagree, he never once asked a question. In fact he only stated his opinion, and when presenting the fact he does use tech...failed to list it, which was the whole point of this post. 

I agree that words more often in forums, texts, and letters can be misconstrued...but his post added no substance. In fact seemed confrontational, hence the negativity. 

Thanks for playing though.

Well, it wasn't negative when @Carborendum posted.  It became negative when you replied in a negative manner.  We've known Carb for quite a while over here.   Anyway, Carb, @Vort, @zil , and I are in IT.  We tend to speak in a different language when talking about IT stuff which is probably why you misconstrued what he said.

3 hours ago, hadl said:

@zil, I too use pens with a good nib to take my notes. I also use an app called Keep on my Google phone, however I have heard people using the app Evernote with great success. 

Ooooh... now you're in trouble!  @zil has this way of sucking everybody into the coke fields of her fountain pen addiction.  You're not gonna be able to convince her to use Evernote when she has her pen soldiers lined up in her pocket at all times.  I think these days she's working on sheens.  Evernote got no sheens!  :D

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

Ooooh... now you're in trouble!  @zil has this way of sucking everybody into the coke fields of her fountain pen addiction.  You're not gonna be able to convince her to use Evernote when she has her pen soldiers lined up in her pocket at all times.  I think these days she's working on sheens.  Evernote got no sheens!  :D

There's a special kind of paper (maybe more than one) that some FP users (and probably other pen types too) use which allows you to photograph the page and it converts what you wrote to text and/or diagrams.  I think there's even one that works in real time - I forget since they don't really interest me.  I suspect that's what he's talking about.

2 minutes ago, zil said:

There's a special kind of paper (maybe more than one) that some FP users (and probably other pen types too) use which allows you to photograph the page and it converts what you wrote to text and/or diagrams.  I think there's even one that works in real time - I forget since they don't really interest me.  I suspect that's what he's talking about.

Wait.  Hold up.  I'm in shock... Did you just say you're open to getting your FP notes digitized???  :scribe:

Just now, anatess2 said:

Wait.  Hold up.  I'm in shock... Did you just say you're open to getting your FP notes digitized???  :scribe:

Not me, just that there are people who do this.  My understanding is that it does handwriting recognition.  Look for "white lines" paper.  I think there's a Montblanc notebook with something similar.

17 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Well, it wasn't negative when @Carborendum posted.  It became negative when you replied in a negative manner.  We've known Carb for quite a while over here.   Anyway, Carb, @Vort, @zil , and I are in IT.  We tend to speak in a different language when talking about IT stuff which is probably why you misconstrued what he said.

While I respect yours and anyone’s opinion...I don't view my post as negative. In fact, I was clarifying the post to the person who apparently was confused about the question I was asking. I was not asking advice about my calling or how to use technology, I was simply opening a dialog about different things we use, thoughts, experiences with technology in callings and Priesthood. His post had nothing of substance to the topic, except maybe him putting in a "matter of fact" jab.          Go back and read it.

While I am sure in the IT world people communicate differently than others, let me help clarify the type of person I am and how I communicate. I am a career Airman in the USAF, I am currently in year two of my tour as a Military Training Instructor (Drill Instructor). I don't have time for nonsense and I do not communicate in it...so his post in my opinion was negative, pointless, and a waste of time. 

2 minutes ago, hadl said:

so his post in my opinion was negative, pointless, and a waste of time. 

OK, we get it, but when you've go 31 posts, and a three folks with thousands of posts tells you there was no negativity meant on the part of @Carborendum's post (another user with thousands of posts), please consider that those other people maybe know each other well, and you don't know them well (nor they you), and give the benefit of the doubt. :)

28 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I am actually in the market for a new pen, I broke a really nice Cross not that long ago. 

Currently open for other suggestions.

Just now, hadl said:

I am actually in the market for a new pen, I broke a really nice Cross not that long ago. 

Currently open for other suggestions.

I don't actually own any Cross pens, but my aunt has two that write really nicely.  I think Cross is a brand where you have to go up to at least mid-range pens to get a decent one.

Without parameters, I wouldn't know where to begin.  (I'm a programmer, we can't function without parameters.)

2 minutes ago, zil said:

OK, we get it, but when you've go 31 posts, and a three folks with thousands of posts tells you there was no negativity meant on the part of @Carborendum's post (another user with thousands of posts), please consider that those other people maybe know each other well, and you don't know them well (nor they you), and give the benefit of the doubt. :)

I have also been a member since 2008, just because I do not post that much does not mean I don't participate in this forum.

Like I said, I respect his and others opinion on the matter...I just thought it was an empty post and I shared my feelings on the matter. I am a very blunt person, I have been wrong before and will be again. I just didn't see the value in it is all, I wanted him to share his experiences with technology.

2 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

How much do you want to spend?

You can't go wrong with a Mont Blanc.

Not that much. I am rough on pens haha.

I am in the $100 range, something I can use in my studies and note taking in meetings. 

1 minute ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

I own several and they are superior writing instruments IMHO

Sure, fabulous pens, but yawnville and overpriced.  You can also go wrong with a Visconti, but you'll look better doing it (and you might get lucky and go right). :P

(Please note that at this point, I'm just having fun.  I respect your right to prefer boring, cigar-shaped, black pens.)

Guest MormonGator
Just now, hadl said:

Not that much. I am rough on pens haha.

I am in the $100 range, something I can use in my studies and note taking in meetings. 

You will spend 100$ on a pen? 

Guest MormonGator
Just now, hadl said:

A good one...yes. I thought it was crazy too, however after using a $65 dollar pen...I get the hype!

Whatever makes you happy, and I mean that sincerely. I'm all in favor of people spending their money however they want to. 

Guest MormonGator
Just now, omegaseamaster75 said:

LOL I'll spend $500.00 on a pen

Again, do what you want. It's your money. 

Ironically though, those who are really well off usually buy BICs and shop at Wal Mart. That's how they get well off in the first place.