Leadership and Technology

Guest MormonGator

In fact, that's something I noticed about rich people and faux rich people. The faux rich will drive a Bugatti, brag about their mansion in Bal Harbour and their vacation home in Tuscany. Those are the people who usually (usually) operate Ponzi schemes or are foolishly, stupidly, heavily in debt. People who are legitimately rich usually live well of course, but have surprisingly modest spending habits. 

Again, spend whatever you want to. It's your money. 

Edited by MormonGator

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

Again, do what you want. It's your money. 

Ironically though, those who are really well off usually buy BICs and shop at Wal Mart. That's how they get well off in the first place. 

Eh, it's just about allocation of your disposable income. The same guy who writes with a Bic might drive a Mercedes, while I'll drive a VW.

The guy who spends $6k on a snowmobile or jet ski might never buy a nice watch.....

Guest MormonGator
Just now, omegaseamaster75 said:

Eh, it's just about allocation of your disposable income. The same guy who writes with a Bic might drive a Mercedes, while I'll drive a VW.

The guy who spends $6k on a snowmobile or jet ski might never buy a nice watch.....

Partially true-I'll drive a Hyundai and I have season tickets to the Rays, so I agree there. It's all about a trade off. Other than that though, my observation is dead on. 

1 minute ago, hadl said:

Not that much. I am rough on pens haha.

I am in the $100 range, something I can use in my studies and note taking in meetings. 

That's an insufficient number of parameters. ;)  Therefore, here are some darts and you can see if any of them narrow in on what you like:

1. I really like Karas Kustoms pens - nothing boring there.  Also indestructible.
  2. Japanese pens - depending on where you buy, Platinum 3776 and various Pilots (like the Custom 74) would be good.  Sailor also make excellent pens.  Which would be better for you depends on how you like your nib to write (Pilot tend to be smoothest, in my experience; Platinum and Sailor have interesting and distinct feedback.)
  3. A Pilot Kakuno will wink at you - what more can you want?
  4. I'm madly in love with my Pilot Vanishing Points - might be a little above your price range, though - I recommend the gold nib (the "special alloy" isn't so special)
  5. You might could get a steel-nibbed Pelikan for that price.
  6. Lamy make excellent pens
  7. TWSBIs are cool - you could easily get a vacuum filler in your price range (or a piston, if you prefer) - great ink capacity, fabulous support if you ever have issues.
  8. Never tried one, but I've heard good things about Conklin and Faber-Castell.
Just now, MormonGator said:

Whatever makes you happy, and I mean that sincerely. I'm all in favor of people spending their money however they want to. 

That's a relief. :itwasntme:

Partially true-I'll drive a Hyundai and I have season tickets to the Rays, so I agree there. It's all about a trade off. Other than that though, my observation is dead on. 

Nice things cost money, you know that...Your example is a little extreme.

If you have to finance your toys you shouldn't be buying them. 

Guest MormonGator

Nice things cost money, you know that...Your example is a little extreme

Not really, at least in my experience.  Nice things do cost money, that's for sure. 

If you have to finance your toys you shouldn't be buying them. 

Yup. 

24 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

In fact, that's something I noticed about rich people and faux rich people. The faux rich will drive a Bugatti, brag about their mansion in Bal Harbour and their vacation home in Tuscany. Those are the people who usually (usually) operate Ponzi schemes or are foolishly, stupidly, heavily in debt. People who are legitimately rich usually live well of course, but have surprisingly modest spending habits.

I thought this described the nouveau riche vs. old money. (But that's just a no-moneyer POV.)

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Vort said:

I thought this described the nouveau riche vs. old money. (But that's just a no-moneyer POV.)

It describes that longstanding battle as well. 

33 minutes ago, hadl said:

While I respect yours and anyone’s opinion...I don't view my post as negative. In fact, I was clarifying the post to the person who apparently was confused about the question I was asking. I was not asking advice about my calling or how to use technology, I was simply opening a dialog about different things we use, thoughts, experiences with technology in callings and Priesthood. His post had nothing of substance to the topic, except maybe him putting in a "matter of fact" jab.          Go back and read it.

While I am sure in the IT world people communicate differently than others, let me help clarify the type of person I am and how I communicate. I am a career Airman in the USAF, I am currently in year two of my tour as a Military Training Instructor (Drill Instructor). I don't have time for nonsense and I do not communicate in it...so his post in my opinion was negative, pointless, and a waste of time. 

See here... you thought your post was not negative, we thought it was.  You thought @Carborendum's post was negative we didn't think it was.  There was this thread somewhere out there on r/philosophy today that stated "Charity is thinking the best out of the other person unless otherwise proven".  So, as both of you claim your posts are not negative then hurray!  No negativity exists and you can all be friends.

"I don't have time for nonsense" is another problematic one because... you might think it's nonsense while the other spent his precious time writing a post to engage you in conversation.  Not many people on mormonhub spend time on here to deliberately waste your time on nonsense.  The difference between here and the military is that the military has very specific rules that everybody knows.  Anything outside of those rules is nonsense.  Here, it's not that rigid and people are given leeway to express themselves in the manner by which they feel comfortable.  Add to that a multi-cultural membership - English is only my 3rd language, for example, and while Carb is born and raised in the US, he is Korean who likes his kimchi - and you end up getting all kinds of different ways people "talk" around here.  When we're talking face to face you automatically give me some leeway because of my thick accent that I can't seem to get rid of.  But I can write without an accent and I am very liberal with the backspace key, so you think I'm this red-white-and-blue American who understands what you mean when you say "pretty good" when in reality I have no idea how pretty describes good.  Know what I'm saying?

Anyway, that's just my 2 centavos which, from my trip to the bank today, is worth 0.038 cents.

44 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

See here... you thought your post was not negative, we thought it was.  You thought @Carborendum's post was negative we didn't think it was.  There was this thread somewhere out there on r/philosophy today that stated "Charity is thinking the best out of the other person unless otherwise proven".  So, as both of you claim your posts are not negative then hurray!  No negativity exists and you can all be friends.

Carb is born and raised in the US, he is Korean

1 hour ago, zil said:

OK, we get it, but when you've go 31 posts, and a three folks with thousands of posts tells you there was no negativity meant on the part of @Carborendum's post (another user with thousands of posts), please consider that those other people maybe know each other well, and you don't know them well (nor they you), and give the benefit of the doubt. :)

While I appreciate your efforts on my behalf, it's really not necessary. He's made it obvious he doesn't care for my comments. I'm perfectly happy to withdraw.  That's why I haven't commented since.

I'm not going to shove my input down his throat.

And, Anatess, I was born in Korea.

2 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

LOL I'll spend $500.00 on a pen

You can get a great printer for a lot less. It will do the writing for you and need far fewer refills. And you won't look silly using such an antiquated piece of technology as a fountain pen. :) 

1 hour ago, askandanswer said:

You can get a great printer for a lot less. It will do the writing for you and need far fewer refills. And you won't look silly using such an antiquated piece of technology as a fountain pen. :) 

Yeah it's $500.00 for the ball point......If you want a Fountain pen it's just south of $1k

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

While I appreciate your efforts on my behalf, it's really not necessary. He's made it obvious he doesn't care for my comments. I'm perfectly happy to withdraw.  That's why I haven't commented since.

I'm not going to shove my input down his throat.

And, Anatess, I was born in Korea.

I would love your input on tech that you use/have used in your callings and as a Priesthood holder. This was the entire point of my post, however if you had nothing to contribute other than a terminology correction, an assumption of my example with guidance out of the handbook, and a comment about how you use something, but some how did not find it relevant to add substance...hence our situation here.

I don't know you personally, but I do love you as a brother...by all means add to the conversation to help others, myself, heck maybe even yourself.

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

"I don't have time for nonsense" is another problematic one because... you might think it's nonsense while the other spent his precious time writing a post to engage you in conversation.  Not many people on mormonhub spend time on here to deliberately waste your time on nonsense.  The difference between here and the military is that the military has very specific rules that everybody knows.  Anything outside of those rules is nonsense.  Here, it's not that rigid and people are given leeway to express themselves in the manner by which they feel comfortable.  Add to that a multi-cultural membership - English is only my 3rd language, for example, and while Carb is born and raised in the US, he is Korean who likes his kimchi - and you end up getting all kinds of different ways people "talk" around here.  When we're talking face to face you automatically give me some leeway because of my thick accent that I can't seem to get rid of.  But I can write without an accent and I am very liberal with the backspace key, so you think I'm this red-white-and-blue American who understands what you mean when you say "pretty good" when in reality I have no idea how pretty describes good.  Know what I'm saying?

Anyway, that's just my 2 centavos which, from my trip to the bank today, is worth 0.038 cents.

Like I have said...sometimes things get lost in translation in "text". Just because I communicate and interpret things differently then you or others, doesn't necessarily make me wrong or right for that matter.  

My point was to clarify and to ask for substance in his post. I clarified the aspect where he thought I was using something in an official capacity. He then added his take on Handbook guidance. Lastly, he made a comment that he does use tech, however claimed it would not benefit my calling or my question. Why even post then? WHY?         

Seems negative to me, if he had something to share, lets put it out there so maybe it can be benefit to the community.

I'd like to get us back on topic. We have strayed off in many directions chasing squirrels haha. 

Hello all, I hope to be more active on the forum. This being said, I can come off as aggressive and very blunt...I do not mean any harm by this, I love y'all very much and strive to be more like the Savior each and every day. In fact I am just trying to engage in further conversation, making sure my perspective is clearly stated, and I understand where you are coming from. 

How can technology around us help us magnify our Priesthood and callings?

istock-115796521_wide-2f8afeb04be5bf8290f13dd1a5a9e107f63ee2fd.jpg

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, hadl said:

Up north when I was active in the church I'd use technology with my home teaching. I'd chat with people on FB, text them- basically do what everyone else does in 2018. And this was back in 2015! 

Technology helps us communicate and get to know people better if we use it correctly. 

Up north when I was active in the church I'd use technology with my home teaching. I'd chat with people on FB, text them- basically do what everyone else does in 2018. And this was back in 2015! 

Technology helps us communicate and get to know people better if we use it correctly. 

I absolutely agree. The Lord has been preparing us for the current day/model of Ministering we are getting into.

When I was a YM President/Scout Master (small ward), I had to adapt to the way the YM communicated and learned. It really opened my eyes, it helped me become more open minded to breaking outside our normal "church norms" and getting the youths minds in the affective domain. 

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, hadl said:

I absolutely agree. The Lord has been preparing us for the current day/model of Ministering we are getting into.

When I was a YM President/Scout Master (small ward), I had to adapt to the way the YM communicated and learned. It really opened my eyes, it helped me become more open minded to breaking outside our normal "church norms" and getting the youths minds in the affective domain. 

Yup, absolutely. We need to use technology to keep our young people interested, among other reasons. Some young people might not care about basketball or soap box derby racing. Having video game night or something might also be a good thing to do. 

6 hours ago, hadl said:

Here's a crazy awesome Youth Fundraising Activity that was able to raise us enough money in the ward as to only have an out-of-pocket expense of $60 per kid on Girls Camp and Scout Camp:

Karafun.com

Hook up your ipad to a mixer:

J14057000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Hook the mixer up to the ward building sound system or you can use your own speakers.  Plug in some microphones into the mixer - at least 2, so get the mixer with at least 2 inputs.

Then put the microphone on a mic stand and clip this thingee to it to hold the ipad.

universal-tablet-tube-microphone-mic-sta

Then do a karaoke contest where you vote with your wallet.  Then you can charge $10 for the spaghetti dinner that goes with it and have a bidding on some pastries in-between songs.

Edited by anatess2

Nothing beats a good laptop and HDMI cable.

Often people show up unprepared to teach, it can really detract from the spirit. We as leaders/teachers need to remember to teach to the audio, visual, and kinesthetic learner...not every one in the EQ or class is the same.

Here are some ideas I have had or used:

- Print off pictures and let the group talk about how it makes them feel

- Use short video clips (nothing longer than a couple of mins)

- Activities they/some can do that relate to the topic being taught 

Oddly enough all of this can be accomplished with their smart phones, TV, or perhaps something you bring from home.