My Bishop took my temple recommend away unfairly. How can I contest his decision?

JayKi

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

Oh. 

Can you tell me what you think regarding my English language skill? I have to sit test to continue my studying in England but I don't get feedback on writing because most my studying is practical or vocational and when I get is not grammar feedback. Is there many mistake?  

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, JayKi said:

Can you tell me what you think regarding my English language skill? I have to sit test to continue my studying in England but I don't get feedback on writing because most my studying is practical or vocational and when I get is not grammar feedback. Is there many mistake?  

Your skill with the English language is very good for a non native speaker. I see no major concerns. 

20 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

So, you are calling all of America "racist" because you've visited....one state. 

If he thought Texas was racist, then he's the victim of observation bias.  Of all the states I've lived in, Texas has been the LEAST racist.  I've lived in five cities around Houston, and worked in four offices with dozens and dozens of people.  This is truly an area where race really doesn't mean anything. No one thinks about it.  No one talks about it except in passing.  It seems it truly doesn't matter.

That is, unless he went to Austin.  That liberal Mecca of Texas is the most racist place I've ever seen short of Mexico.

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Carborendum said:

If he thought Texas was racist, then he's the victim of observation bias.  Of all the states I've lived in, Texas has been the LEAST racist.  I've lived in five cities and worked in four offices with dozens and dozens of people.  This is truly an area where race really doesn't mean anything. No one thinks about it.  No one talks about it except in passing.  It seems it truly doesn't matter.

That is, unless he went to Austin.  That liberal Mecca of Texas is the most racist place I've ever seen short of Mexico.

A white dude like you knows nothing about racism. 

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

If he thought Texas was racist, then he's the victim of observation bias.  Of all the states I've lived in, Texas has been the LEAST racist.  I've lived in five cities around Houston, and worked in four offices with dozens and dozens of people.  This is truly an area where race really doesn't mean anything. No one thinks about it.  No one talks about it except in passing.  It seems it truly doesn't matter.

I was in Georgetown but it was racist someone told me I am a sandman and to speak English in America even my first day visiting. Also, people at a takeout place call me a spic. 

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, JayKi said:

I was in Georgetown but it was racist someone told me I am a sandman and to speak English in America even my first day visiting. Also, people at a takeout place call me a spic. 

Okay, I'll just say it. I find this very hard to believe. For all this to happen on your "first day" in America means you are either incredibly unlucky or, um....not being clear with us. While I'm sure that does happen in some places, you are speaking like someone who has heard stories about racism without having actually experienced it. 

12 minutes ago, JayKi said:

In one day, you were doing nothing wrong at all. You simply happened across someone who, for no reason whatsoever, decided to throw a racial slur your way.  Twice even... in one day...

Mmm Hmm.

Well, then again, Georgetown is part of Austin.  So, maybe.  You''ll find that liberals are much more racist than conservatives.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Okay, I'll just say it. I find this very hard to believe. For all this to happen on your "first day" in America means you are either incredibly unlucky or, um....not being clear with us. While I'm sure that does happen in some places, you are speaking like someone who has heard stories about racism without having actually experienced it. 

Only first 2 was first day I was just with my cousin when it happened. You just never had it happen to you because you aren't not white. 

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, JayKi said:

Only first 2 was first day I was just with my cousin when it happened. You just never had it happen to you because you aren't not white. 

No, but I was engaged to an African American woman, and we spent a lot time together, so I might understand more than you think. 

Edited by MormonGator

4 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

No, but I was engaged to an African American woman, and we spent a lot time together, so....

Is was strange for me because in Costa Rica I am consider to be white person. But my cousin told me in America I am light and bright but no white. 

1 minute ago, JayKi said:

Is was strange for me because in Costa Rica I am consider to be white person. But my cousin told me in America I am light and bright but no white. 

Nah, what's strange us you identified me as a racist, I am white and hispanic, my wife is white, black, asian and arab.  Dude, you messed up playing the race card HERE. 

1 minute ago, Bad Karma said:

Nah, what's strange us you identified me as a racist, I am white and hispanic, my wife is white, black, asian and arab.  Dude, you messed up playing the race card HERE. 

Maybe you are maybe you not hispanic, I don't care you can still be racist duh

5 minutes ago, JayKi said:

Maybe you are maybe you not hispanic, I don't care you can still be racist duh

I don't dislike you because you're any particular color, I don't dislike you because you are from Costa Rica, I dislike you because I think very poorly of you as a person, that's all. DUH.... EDITED TO AD: Everything I need to know about you to dislike you can be found within this thread.  CHEERS!

Edited by Bad Karma

1 minute ago, Bad Karma said:

I don't dislike you because you're any particular color, I don't dislike you because you are from Costa Rica, I dislike you because I think very poorly of you as a person, that's all. DUH....

I don't care for your opinion is irrelevant you know nothing 

7 hours ago, JayKi said:

I got it back :) Apparently being friend with someone isn't a reason to lose temple recommend. I go celebrate tomorrow in nail salon. 

So @JayKi based on your recent experience, you are probably now the forum expert on contesting decisions made by a bishop about removing temple recommends. Would you care to share with us exactly how you did this and how did you get your Stake President on board?

Just now, askandanswer said:

So @JayKi based on your recent experience, you are probably now the forum expert on contesting decisions made by a bishop about removing temple recommends. Would you care to share with us exactly how you did this and how did you get your Stake President on board?

I didn't need contest the decision so much, I spoke to my uncle about situation now I say no more hanging out to my friend. We spoke with each other and pray together, my uncle see my side, he told me he knows I will keep promise. I had meeting with Stake President and I told him the situation, he said he thinks what I told him wasn't much of a reason so he will speak to my Bishop but I already knew my uncle will say that he believe I should have it. So I got it back :) 

26 minutes ago, JayKi said:

You have a few mistakes. The last sentence you wrote should be.. "Are there many grammar mistakes." 

Not huge errors.  I know exactly what it is like when trying to get better at a foreign language and everyone lies to you saying that you sound fine. 

24 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

You have a few mistakes. The last sentence you wrote should be.. "Are there many grammar mistakes." 

Not huge errors.  I know exactly what it is like when trying to get better at a foreign language and everyone lies to you saying that you sound fine. 

Is frustrating because I live in England a long time now but I can't always express what I want to say in English. Where I live is hard to learn because lot of people use slang and have accents. If there is no major mistake then I will pass test and continue my study in England :) Is very obvious I not native speaker ?

Edited by JayKi

2 hours ago, JayKi said:

Wow - i am sorry about this one.  i'm white (like pasty pasty Scandinavian white) - and i wonder if all the angry people looking for someone to take their anger out would use a racial slur against me if i were not white.

i honestly tend to think they would.

i frequent parts of Seattle that are largely black - and have been called 'whitey' or 'cracker' as i walked by.  Mentally, i know it has happened only a tiny fraction of the time.  And logically, i don't hate them and know they only do so because they are hurting - but it's something that has stayed with me way more than i would think it should have.  

i wonder why the color of our skin is such a big throbbing and tender thing, but it seems to be.

And i think your English is fine!  it's way better than my spanish! (or lack thereof) :) 

Anyways, i hope you won't write off America completely.  i think racism only dies when you return a racial slur or discrimination with kindness - and you sound like a pretty nice guy to me - so hopefully whoever said that to you has had to rethink the warped racial stereotypes they were taught.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic