Church Abominations

fatima

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:31 AM, fatima said:

I know this part, thank you; I have read this before.  What I'm looking for is if, following this (or any other) vision, that Smith outlines specifics that were detailed to him.  Not to say that God should have/would have, because even in the Catholic Church, there were things that, while true, were not formally pronounced and defined until later years.

A follow up question that just occurred to me...if Christ established the ordinances, sacraments, leadership, etc. while on Earth, are there any writings from early leaders warning the faithful that the leaders were going astray?

Welllllll......

Depends on how you read it.

Many of Paul's epistles were to churches that were going astray and trying to straighten them out before they totally went astray in many interpretations (at least in protestant and non-Catholic).

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:03 PM, Jane_Doe said:

Remember them and look to them as examples, totally a good thing.  Rather-- more than being *just* a good thing, it's a commandment.  We are to always remember.  

(Fantastic question, by the way!)

I remember when I visited Temple Square (or it may have been a public tour of the temple in Langely, BC) that there was a hallway that had the pictures of all the Presidents of the church (who would have been deemed prophets). Also, it is not uncommon for posters here to quote from past presidents. So, it may be that the similarity between Catholic and LDS practice is more in the greater authority given to tradition (whether established by church hierarchy or by prophetic declaration). Even churches that declare "scripture only" usually have a set of teachings that they agree are non-negotiable truths. 

3 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

I remember when I visited Temple Square (or it may have been a public tour of the temple in Langely, BC) that there was a hallway that had the pictures of all the Presidents of the church (who would have been deemed prophets). Also, it is not uncommon for posters here to quote from past presidents. So, it may be that the similarity between Catholic and LDS practice is more in the greater authority given to tradition (whether established by church hierarchy or by prophetic declaration). Even churches that declare "scripture only" usually have a set of teachings that they agree are non-negotiable truths. 

I would 100% agree that both Catholics and LDS honor previous generations more than Sola Scriptura sects.  Honor which can come in the form of pictures, quoting from, telling stories, etc.  I would also note that both Catholics and LDS honor them more than just in a religious setting, and honor more people than just religious leaders.  For an crazy obvious LDS example, it would be pioneer stories: either literally walk-accross-American-plains pioneers or other pioneers in faith/devotion/movement/etc.  

8 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

Sola Scriptura sects . . .

Then there's us Pentecostal/Charismatics--we do not focus much on past leaders (or even current ones, honestly), but we do believe in modern prophesy--through direct utterance, and through dreams and visions.  ;)

I know that the first post is about abominations and not necessarily the 'abominable church' but I found this article helpful in my reading:

https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1188&context=jbms

• pam unfeatured this topic