Sexual Sin Before Marriage

Ive been in a relationship for a while now and things have taken a different turn than I expected. I was born into in the church and faithfully go as often as I can. Im still young and living at home but I've always wanted to serve a mission. Ive always loved the church and believed everything about it but I struggle with staying sexually pure and resisting temptation. After repenting and talking to my bishop would I still have the opportunity to serve a mission? Ive yet to go into my bishop but feel great regret almost everyday. I know for a fact that I won't marry this man and I want my old life back. This is one of the worst decisions I've ever made in my life and I feel as if ill never be the same again because I have sinned so badly. I really don't know what to do.

I think wanting your old life back and wanting to go on a mission.... starts with talking to your bishop, repenting and ending the relationship that you are in.

Honestly, you won't be the same again and yes it is because you have sinned but also remember that in going through the repentance process properly.... you will change again, not back to how you were before but hopefully stronger, wiser and closer to God. 

4 hours ago, br012118 said:

Ive been in a relationship for a while now and things have taken a different turn than I expected. I was born into in the church and faithfully go as often as I can. Im still young and living at home but I've always wanted to serve a mission. Ive always loved the church and believed everything about it but I struggle with staying sexually pure and resisting temptation. After repenting and talking to my bishop would I still have the opportunity to serve a mission? Ive yet to go into my bishop but feel great regret almost everyday. I know for a fact that I won't marry this man and I want my old life back. This is one of the worst decisions I've ever made in my life and I feel as if ill never be the same again because I have sinned so badly. I really don't know what to do.

Unfortunately your old life is gone.  You now have life experiences that have changed your course in life.  Don't worry about a mission right now.  Get right with the Lord first.  Talk with your bishop.  Don't make the mistake of trying to make repentance contingent on whether you can serve a mission or not.

Many people have made the same mistake you have and have repented and lived good lives.  Repent and move on with life.  Make it a good one.

5 hours ago, br012118 said:

It may be possible for you to serve a mission but time needs to pass and you need to convince church authorities that you have fully repented. As time passes, you may age out of the mission serving age. Make an appointment to see the bishop. After he feels that you have repented and you get your temple recommend, look into missions. You may be able to serve. 

Edited by Sunday21

9 hours ago, br012118 said:

You sound like a wonderful person to me.  i wouldn't be too hard on yourself.  i don't say that to discourage change/repentance, but just because regret that seeps too deep and stays too long can really be destructive.  

And you can help others in profoundly meaningful ways wherever you are - whether that's in a mission or somewhere else.  

12 hours ago, br012118 said:

You CAN indeed get that same love of the Gospel back, and that same feeling of cleanliness --- in fact, after repenting your love of the Gospel will be even greater than before.  Through the atonement Christ doesn't just rewind the clock and pretend like bad stuff never happened--- no no.  What Christ does is take your broken bones and heals them so they are stronger than before.  He washes away all the filth and hugs you in His arms to let you know that you are God's beautiful daughter.   You're not going to be just like you were before you got involved with this boy-- you're going to be BETTER than that.  

The first step is picking up the phone RIGHT NOW and calling your bishop to guide you through this.  Don't wait around in this painful filth any longer, call NOW.  

Yes, you can still serve a mission.  There is just more you need to do before you are ready to go.  Please see your Bishop and get started. 

The atonement is not just about washing away the stain of our sins, but also about washing away the emotional pain.  As a missionary you will be teaching people who have done worse things than you have and telling them that God will forgive them and make their hearts whole again.  And you'll be saying that knowing how true it is.

Guest MormonGator

Your regret is obvious in your post. You are on the right track for sure-some people wouldn't feel regret in the first place and spiritually speaking, they'd be in a much worst place. You are doing great, and Heavenly Father will welcome you back with open arms! 

• 1 month later...