Thanks RPFrame!

mordorbund

There's been a site update, and we always seem to have a thread on it, so I'm starting one for this latest one.

First off, when the site update happened there was some minor glitches, but nothing major like there has been in the past. Way to go @rpframe!

I also notice we now have a chat feature. Some old timers may recall that there used to be a chat function on the site before @zil introduced her fountain pen cult and launched the Luddite Wars through her Secret Anachronism Society (steampunk is a subculture of this Society). The Society infiltrated chat and abused the privilege and @pam had to take it away and preemptively banhammer anyone who remembered those days. Occasionally a stranger would come around these parts and mention how useful chat would be, but they were set straight - they were forced to watch @mirkwood's Halloween countdown while listening to @MormonGator's Enya collection (he doesn't actually have any Enya music. He collects documentation of Enya's creative process).

Well now we have it. So thanks RPF!

Edited by mordorbund

@pam may want to comment but, we found something that was inexpensive that we thought might work so, we're trying it.
I'd like to point out the Blocking feature:
Hit the right arrow at the top of a one on one chat and choose "block user".
So if there's someone you don't get along with, you don't have to hear from them.

I'll be honest, this is new software so, not sure how this would affect seeing them in public groups or not.

In other completely random news, I have also enabled "login with google".
If you have a google account but its not the email you have associated with your forums account, I *think* you can still enable it if you wish in Account Settings -> Google

Also, if anyone actually uses or wants to test the facebook/twitter login methods, I'd be interested in hearing from you. I don't even know if they actually work.

12 minutes ago, rpframe said:

Also, if anyone actually uses or wants to test the facebook/twitter login methods, I'd be interested in hearing from you. I don't even know if they actually work.

Well, I haven't tried that, but I have been trying to change my email on occasion for the past 6 months.  I finally was able to update it just now and it worked!  Not sure why it never worked before.

Okay so, the popups only happen when you load/reload a page. Its... hyper annoying... may have to remove the little chat window from the main site 😢

Edit: I have removed the small chat window from the main site due to a bug where a whole bunch of chat windows would be popped up every time you reload or load a page.

11 minutes ago, rpframe said:

Okay so, the popups only happen when you load/reload a page. Its... hyper annoying... may have to remove the little chat window from the main site 😢

Might make the chat less used (cuz folks forget), but I like it better without that rectangle taking up space.

Meanwhile, I just heard the new sound - much better (volume-wise), but it sounds kinda like someone stuffed a sock in a broken cow bell... :D

Not tech literate, so maybe that my idea is based on me not having the faintest idea how things work...

This is an idea...perhaps...

Instead of the box in thelower right  corner (which I agree was kind of annoying) why not put an icon next to the bell and the letter in the menubar on the top right side.  It can give out little numbers like the notifications does for when someone says something or similar to that.

It's an icon instead of a box, doesn't take up the space, but still has somewhat visibility in the forums.

2 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

Not tech literate, so maybe that my idea is based on me not having the faintest idea how things work...

This is an idea...perhaps...

Instead of the box in thelower right  corner (which I agree was kind of annoying) why not put an icon next to the bell and the letter in the menubar on the top right side.  It can give out little numbers like the notifications does for when someone says something or similar to that.

It's an icon instead of a box, doesn't take up the space, but still has somewhat visibility in the forums.

If I wrote this myself, I would 100% do that. But since I didn't it becomes a lot more complicated to try and modify not only the chat software, but the forum software as well, and, I sadly don't have time to do that and to keep it updated. Sorry!
Maybe someday, but not soon.

@rpframe,

Thanks for your work here, bud.  

I didn't know you could rearrange some of the function buttons.  I'm wondering if you can add something.

All the function buttons on the top of the screen are very useful.  But most of the time, when we're done reading a page, it is a bit tedious to scroll all the way back up to the top so we can use one of those function buttons.  It is especially laborious when on a small screen like a cell phone.

Can you copy them to the bottom as well?  Browse, bell, message, search, page navigation.