Unorthodox call opening?

Ethan

Hey all. I’m close to receiving my mission call in the mail. Here’s the thing. I don’t want my opening to be a traditional one. I have never been one for ceremonies. I want to open it with my immediate family, and one or two of my closest friends.

Is there a reason the majority of missionaries open theirs the traditional way? Should I do it this way? Thanks

Edited by Ethan

6 hours ago, Ethan said:

Hey all. I’m close to receiving my mission call in the mail. Here’s the thing. I don’t want my opening to be a traditional one. I have never been one for ceremonies. I want to open it with my immediate family, and one or two of my closest friends.

Is there a reason the majority of missionaries open theirs the traditional way? Should I do it this way? Thanks

Might I suggest that your idea of "Traditional Opening" is a perception issue?

Some people make a big deal (which is understandable) and let everyone know.  These are the ones you see. 

Some people do not make a big production out of it (also understandable) because they want it low-key and personal.  You do not see or know about these people.

Naturally when you try to judge what is Traditional you go by what you see... you can not go by what you do not see.   This can distort your understanding.

Do what you feel is right for you and don't worry about what you think other might think.

This is what I expect will happen in my house:

anatess2:  "aren't we supposed to get that mission call sometime soon?  did anybody check the mailbox?"

anatess2 jr:  "oh, yeah, I got the package a few weeks ago.  I'm going to Timbuktu, Africa.  I'm supposed to learn this African language and get vaccination for malaria."

anatess2:  "why'd you wait until now to tell me?"

anatess2 jr:  "I don't know.  the subject didn't come up, I guess.  oh, good thing you remembered to ask, I'm supposed to report to the MTC in Salt Lake tomorrow."

Yep.  That's how I expect it to go down in my house.  There've been so many times that my son comes to me... "hey mom, can you drive me, I have a concert in 2 hours."  "A concert?  Are you performing?"  "oh yeah, i got the piano solo."  "Don't you want me to watch the concert?"  "oh yeah, i want you to be there."  "yeah, would have been great if I got more than 2 hours notice!"  "you did.  you got 2 hours and 5 minutes."  <me busy calling all our friends and relatives> "hey, anatess2jr has a concert in 2 hours, be there." "why do you always tell us at the last minute?"  "be lucky you got 2 hour notice.  I got only 2 hours and 5 minutes and I'm his mother!".

Anyway, what I'm trying to say here is... This is YOUR mission call.  You do YOU.

Edited by anatess2

When I opened my call it was my sister that was home and I by chance was talking to my cousin on the phone (audience of 2).  I called my mom after I opened it though.  That was 20 years ago, so I guess things have changed some.  I actually enjoy watching people open calls and I like that a big deal is made of it.  In the eternal perspective of mission calls it's a huge deal to the people you will serve and should be celebrated to some degree but I think it's up to the individual on what they are comfortable with.  

When my brother-in-law came home, his mother told him that his call had come in the mail.  She handed it to him with wide-eyed anticipation. 

He said,"Ok.  Thanks."  Then he placed it on the counter.

"Aren't you going to open it?"  She asked.

"Of course."  Then he walked away.  He left it there for three days.  Then he opened it when no one was there.  Then he left it on the counter and let everyone else look at it as they had time.