Utah Medical Marijuana Initiative

pam

The proposed Utah Medical Marijuana Initiative is a matter of great controversy in this state. The negative effects and consequences of marijuana use on individuals, families, and society at large are well-known. There are also those who claim that it has medicinal benefits for those in some circumstances.

Accordingly, the Church asked a Salt Lake City law firm for a legal analysis of the proposed initiative to be submitted to the voters next fall. We wanted to know what the initiative would actually do, if adopted. The law firm's memorandum with its analysis follows. That memorandum raises grave concerns about this initiative and the serious adverse consequences that could follow if it were adopted. We invite all to read the attached memorandum and to make their own judgment.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/marijuana-analysis

Sigh...  When I think of all the power drugs with dangerous side effort that we recognize as potentially useful, and allow to be used Medically... I have no problem with Marijuana being one of those drugs.

That is what I think of when I hear "Medical Marijuana."  And I have no problem treating it like we currently treat our powerful prescription legal pain killers.

Per the analysis this should not be called the "Medical Marijuana Initiative"  but the "Back door to legalization of Marijuana Initiative."  That would be a more honest representation of what it will do

Hi from smoky Colorado.  We had MMJ laws before just out-and-out-legalizing MJ.  Total, utter farce.  I mean, I'm sure many people who needed it medicinally were able to get it.  But so was anyone else willing to lie.

A few years back, I sat in front of a dispensary for a few hours and ate my lunch, watching the people going in and out.  Watched dozens of people - most alone, some couples.  Without exception, every single person or couple included a healthy looking male between the age of (I'd guess) 18 and 45.  I didn't see a single person who looked ill, or hurting, or even under the weather.  I didn't see any wheelchairs, no canes or walkers, no painful or stooped walks.  Not even so much as a sad looking face.  Nobody used the handicapped parking space - in fact, most people showed up and left on foot.  The local racial demographic was not represented equally in what I observed (translation, in a 90% white area, the people who got their "medicine" were about half white, 25% black, 25% hispanic).

I know you can't tell a person's diagnosis by looking at 'em, but I also know the people pushing MMJ laws were also pushing emotionally swaying pictures of children with bent spines, and people with advanced-stage cancer.

My other issue with MJ, either MMJ or not, is unless you are dang sure where you're getting it, you may be funding the kidnapping, murderous, child-sex-slave-trading transnational criminal organizations, otherwise known as cartels.  The guy behind the counter may or may not care, may or may not tell the truth.

At the end of the day, I have gathered no small amount of trustworthy, legitimate stories about how MMJ helps people.  I also have firsthand experience here in CO where legalizing this stuff does absolutely squat to lower crime. 

Yeah, vote responsibly.

Guest MormonGator

I'm interested in seeing if it passes or not. If it does, it'll show that the influence of the church has declined a bit, even in Utah. This is 2018, not 1980 anymore. 

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Hi from smoky Colorado.  We had MMJ laws before just out-and-out-legalizing MJ.  Total, utter farce.  I mean, I'm sure many people who needed it medicinally were able to get it.  But so was anyone else willing to lie.

A few years back, I sat in front of a dispensary for a few hours and ate my lunch, watching the people going in and out.  Watched dozens of people - most alone, some couples.  Without exception, every single person or couple included a healthy looking male between the age of (I'd guess) 18 and 45.  I didn't see a single person who looked ill, or hurting, or even under the weather.  I didn't see any wheelchairs, no canes or walkers, no painful or stooped walks.  Not even so much as a sad looking face.  Nobody used the handicapped parking space - in fact, most people showed up and left on foot.  The local racial demographic was not represented equally in what I observed (translation, in a 90% white area, the people who got their "medicine" were about half white, 25% black, 25% hispanic).

I know you can't tell a person's diagnosis by looking at 'em, but I also know the people pushing MMJ laws were also pushing emotionally swaying pictures of children with bent spines, and people with advanced-stage cancer.

My other issue with MJ, either MMJ or not, is unless you are dang sure where you're getting it, you may be funding the kidnapping, murderous, child-sex-slave-trading transnational criminal organizations, otherwise known as cartels.  The guy behind the counter may or may not care, may or may not tell the truth.

At the end of the day, I have gathered no small amount of trustworthy, legitimate stories about how MMJ helps people.  I also have firsthand experience here in CO where legalizing this stuff does absolutely squat to lower crime. 

Yeah, vote responsibly.

It's smoky here in Washington State too :) .

For the record, i don't like marijuana.  Never tried it, never will.  But given the choice between being around someone who has been drinking and being around someone who has been smoking marijuana - i'd definitely choose the person who has been smoking marijuana 99% of the time (at least after i account for the "this person is behaving strangely in less familiar ways" factor - and for the fact that i really hate breathing in 2nd hand smoke)

From where i sit, marijuana's being illegal does more harm than it's use does.  i think we feed the cartels by driving it's supply chain underground and fill our prisons with a lot of good people.  

But i agree with you - legal "medical" usage is a stone on a very short path to making it totally legal.  i am guessing consuming it while claiming to need it for unsubstantiated medical reasons just makes lawmakers feel less in violation of federal law.

i strongly suspect this is going to be made legal (or at least less illegal) at the federal level soon - which would make this all more or less a moot point - and causing any reluctant state dominoes to topple a whole lot faster.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/383068-gop-senator-says-trump-agreed-to-deal-on-marijuana-legalization

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/4/20/17261496/chuck-schumer-marijuana-legalization

Edited by lostinwater

Guest Godless
6 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yeah, vote responsibly.

Here in not-very-smoky Texas, MMJ is legal exclusively for epilepsy patients, who wouldn't be showing symptoms of their condition unless they're actively having an episode. MMJ can also have benefits for diabetics, who also may not always show any physical signs of their condition. I'm not saying that MMJ laws aren't commonly abused, but I think your expectations of what an MMJ user should look like may be a bit naive.

Guest MormonGator
4 hours ago, lostinwater said:

It's smoky here in Washington State too :) .

For the record, i don't like marijuana.  Never tried it, never will.  But given the choice between being around someone who has been drinking and being around someone who has been smoking marijuana - i'd definitely choose the person who has been smoking marijuana 99% of the time (at least after i account for the "this person is behaving strangely in less familiar ways" factor - and for the fact that i really hate breathing in 2nd hand smoke)

From where i sit, marijuana's being illegal does more harm than it's use does.  i think we feed the cartels by driving it's supply chain underground and fill our prisons with a lot of good people. 

Totally agree.

It's not a good idea to smoke pot (I've done so in the past) but I think criminalizing it is a bad idea. In my dream world I'd decriminalize it and basically look the other way while not allowing it to be sold in stores.

But I also think it'll be legalized on a federal level shortly, so like  @lostinwater said, it's a moot point. 

Edited by MormonGator

7 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I'm interested in seeing if it passes or not. If it does, it'll show that the influence of the church has declined a bit, even in Utah. This is 2018, not 1980 anymore. 

Permissiveness has become a cancer in our society, including many church members.

Guest MormonGator
19 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Permissiveness has become a cancer in our society, including many church members.

That, and I think Utah has gotten less LDS, just in demographics. More people moving there.