Favorite Films & Shows

MaryJehanne

Hi, everybody! :)

I thought I'd put up a thread to ask about your favorite films and shows! What films/shows do you love? Why?

Right now I'm really in love with Netflix's rendition of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. I think it's clever, the directing seems great, the acting is delightful, the production design is breathtaking, and the editing is well-timed. The score fits the story well, and it really seems like a cohesive unit that really gives you a feel for the world of the story. I'm also so excited because for a "TV" show especially, it looks amazing -- such high quality! It's contributing to a body of work showing what a serial film format is able to do. I also admired some of what the story is saying (such as that within the bleakest of worlds, even just a few helpless orphans can still be good, self-sacrificial people and even find joy in the small moments) and how it pokes fun at the tendency of some adults to talk down to and dismiss children. 

How about you guys? :D

P.S. I think I put this thread in an okay place, but please forgive me if I got that wrong! :)

Edited by MaryJehanne
The postscript :)

21 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

The Shop Around the Corner. And You've Got Mail. Because I like the story, I guess.

And Remington Steele, because that show could make me smile during a very difficult period of my life.

I love You’ve Got Mail! It’s a fun story. Meg Ryan is great, and of course Tom Hanks is as well. :) I think I saw The Shop Around the Corner, just maybe when I was very young! If you like those, you should watch In the Good Ol’ Summertime (Judy Garland and Van Johnson — 1949). It’s the remake of The Shop Around the Corner, but before the next, looser remake of You’ve Got Mail! It also features a small role for Buster Keaton, which is pretty awesome. 🙂

I’ve never seen Remington Steele, but that’s really great that it helped you! Films are art, but they can also be entertainment to uplift souls, and that’s certainly valuable. ☺️

8 minutes ago, MaryJehanne said:

If you like those, you should watch In the Good Ol’ Summertime (Judy Garland and Van Johnson — 1949).

I actually have watched that. It doesn't make my favorite movies list mainly because the story of Mr. Oberkugen and his violin broke my heart.

Edited by SilentOne
spelling

I love the movie Hoosiers.  It's a movie about Basketball, forgiveness, and second chances.  In that it has a very Christian like story about being forgiven and having a second chance repeatedly with multiple characters, it is very much about people and how we all can improve our lives.

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi

Band of Brothers

Blackhawk Down

American Sniper

Vikings

The Walking Dead (The first few seasons...meh after that)

Forged In Fire

Alias

24 (First 4-5 seasons)

The X Files

Magnum PI

Hill Street Blues

Homicide Life On The Streets

MASH

Star Trek

Star Trek The Next Generation

@SilentOne Ah, I see! That makes sense. :P  Sometimes I feel those heart-string-pulling moments have the opposite effect filmmakers hope they'll have! It may get an emotion from me, but I'm less likely to see it again.

@JohnsonJones I'm not familiar with that movie, but that sounds like a great message it's conveying!

2 hours ago, mirkwood said:

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi

Band of Brothers

Blackhawk Down

American Sniper

Vikings

The Walking Dead (The first few seasons...meh after that)

Forged In Fire

Alias

24 (First 4-5 seasons)

The X Files

Magnum PI

Hill Street Blues

Homicide Life On The Streets

MASH

Star Trek

Star Trek The Next Generation

I recognize most of these... I'm seeing a common thread! You like action films/shows a lot? I went through a bit of X Files a couple of years ago, I think.

8 minutes ago, MaryJehanne said:

I recognize most of these... I'm seeing a common thread! You like action films/shows a lot? I went through a bit of X Files a couple of years ago, I think.

I do.  I like horror movies too, but very few of them are second watch shows.  

Guest MormonGator

Great thread. 

I like documentaries, 90's coming of age movies-movies like  Hoop Dreams, Chasing Amy, Reality Bites,  Man on Wire, CitizenFour and King of Kong come to mind. Also movies from the 70's. Rocky, Jaws, The French Connection, All the Presidents Men, The Godfather. I watch a lot of horror movies too. The Witch, The Babadook are two recent ones I really liked. And musicals. The Music Man, West Side Story...

For TV I watch reality shows, sports, news, and not much else-though I did like 24 and the X Files! 

Edited by MormonGator

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

Great thread. 

I like documentaries, 90's coming of age movies-movies like  Hoop Dreams, Chasing Amy, Reality Bites,  Man on Wire, CitizenFour and King of Kong come to mind. Also movies from the 70's. Rocky, Jaws, The French Connection, All the Presidents Men, The Godfather. I watch a lot of horror movies too. The Witch, The Babadook are two recent ones I really liked. And musicals. The Music Man, West Side Story...

For TV I watch reality shows, sports, news, and not much else-though I did like 24 and the X Files! 

Believe it or not, I haven't seen a lot of those movies, although I certainly recognize some of them! I really need to watch The Godfather and Jaws, since those are a couple of top Hollywood classics I haven't seen. D: I have seen Rocky, The Music Man, and West Side Story (a long time ago), though! And I saw The Babadook last year... I think that was probably my first modern horror movie (If I watch horror, it's usually older stuff like House on Haunted Hill or Psycho!).

8 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Great thread. 

I love the Godfather and Jaws. I used to love horror movies but modern ones don't do it to me, I prefer suspense now and stick to Hitchcock movies if I want a thrill. 

Jane Eyre
Best Scene (Fassy is just awesome.  He has a scene in X-Men First Class too that is awesome when he tried to move the Satellite Dish.)

Prince & Me
Best Scene (I couldn't find a youtube video of the lawnmower race - which is the best! - so I picked this one instead):

Ever After
Best Scene (love that outfit)

Hundred-Foot Journey
Best Scene (couldn't find the homesick scene so this is the 2nd best)

Pride & Prejudice
Best Scene

Thor Ragnarok
Best Scene (you might wonder why this innocuous scene is the very best scene out of this awesome movie... well, because Natalie Portman is NOT IN THE MOVIE!  Yipppee!)

Revenge of the Sith
Best Scene (the best out of the entire Star Wars movie universe)

• 1 month later...

You are not going to believe this but...Crime Scene Cleaner.

About a man who cleans up after violent crimes. I cannot believe that I am watching this but it is really good. I had to skip one episode about prostitution but other than that it is lds friendly. It is a German show and if you dont think germans have a sense of humour, you should watch this. Amazing! 

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

It is a German show and if you dont think germans have a sense of humour, you should watch this.

:confused: Why would anyone think that any given nationality has no sense of humor?

My favorite currently-airing show is now Salvation. I feel like I should try to hype it up or at least describe it but I don't wanna.

8 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

:confused: Why would anyone think that any given nationality has no sense of humor?

My favorite currently-airing show is now Salvation. I feel like I should try to hype it up or at least describe it but I don't wanna.

No sane person could think that Germans don’t have a sense of humor and yet...

Is Salvation the show about a meteor that might hit earth?

Just now, Sunday21 said:

Lds friendly? 

There's been indication that unmarried people slept together, but I don't think anything more graphic than showing them waking up in the same bed. Oh, the pilot might have shown the removal of a guy's shirt as they stumble over to the bed. Possibly some minor violence. Probably some degree of swearing.

On 6/26/2018 at 8:29 PM, Sunday21 said:

You are not going to believe this but...Crime Scene Cleaner.

About a man who cleans up after violent crimes. I cannot believe that I am watching this but it is really good. I had to skip one episode about prostitution but other than that it is lds friendly. It is a German show and if you dont think germans have a sense of humour, you should watch this. Amazing! 

There's this movie that surprisingly was pretty good - Sunshine Cleaning.  I can't remember what it's rated at but I'm thinking it has to be R for all the blood they have to clean out of some crime scenes.